1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about purchasing a used Prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by brandon43512, Jul 23, 2013.

1. brandon43512

brandon43512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone! I am most certainly getting a used prius in the near future have a couple of questions for yall and see if you can point me in the right direciton. I am currently looking at 4 different ones and I am having a time choosing:

1. 2008 Prius base from a private seller, has 41,000 miles, rebuilt title (says its from damage to front fender/headlight, pictures look like they have it all fixed and repaired) for 10900.

2 2008 Prius from a private seller, has 80,000 miles, has all maintanence records, carfax etc. for 12800.

3. 2008 Prius from a dealer, has 48k miles on it, good carfax, for 13999.

4. 2010 Prius from a dealer, has 37k miles on it, good carfax, for 15999

So which do you think would be the best deal?
    Is the Gen 3 worth more money than the Gen 2?
    Also, does anyone know how the warranty is on the prius, the full coverage is expired but from a private seller, do you still get the powertrain warranty/rust/emission battery warranty when you buy from a private seller?

2. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd buy number 3. The gen 3 is a better car in the tech specs etc., but I like the quirks of the gen 2 (i.e. cheese-wedge shape, big center MFD, no floating bridge, etc.). The warranty on the traction battery is 100,000 miles in non-CA emissions states, and 150,000 in CA emission states. I just can't bring myself to buy a car from a private seller because a dealer is just so much safer. They will give you the best financing, best trade-in offer, and they detail their cars very well before they sell them. Don't buy number 1 whatever you do. 3 and 4 are safest, 2 is relatively safe, and 1 is just a bad deal because of the "rebuilt title."

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cross #1 off the list right now. Unless you know the body shop that made the repairs personally. Rebuilt/salvage titles don't get issued for fender benders.

4. brin wood

brin wood Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    am looking at Prius's . Have found a 2008 with 112K at a dealer's lot. Upon cursory exam I saw the front strut nuts were heavily rusted. Is this unusual? Road salt? or ocean salt?
    thankss

5. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Carfax it. If it's from Florida, CA, SC, a snow state, etc., I'd say don't buy it. In Florida especially the cars rust inside out and it makes for a very bad owner experience.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to p/c! i like the 2010, but watch out for squeeks. don't forget to haggle! 3 looks like a better deal than 2 and steer clear of 1 as vic said. all the best!(y)