1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about replacing front door speakers.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by egg_salad, Jan 6, 2018.

1. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    First off, let me say that I don't listen to the stereo much, and when I do, it's with "old guy" ears.

Having said that, even MY ears can tell that the 10-year-old speakers sound like butt.

There are a couple paths for replacement - replace the component system, or go with 2-way speakers at the bottom of the doors. I have some questions for both choices...

For components... virtually all aftermarket component systems use a separate crossover box. Have folks found a suitable location for mounting these, or is it tight in the door and a struggle to find space?

If I go with 2-ways, which will probably sound fine to the "old ears" and are less costly... would it be best to simply bypass the factory tweeter, or leave it in the system? I suppose I would wind up with 2 tweeters per door, but is that such a horrible thing?

I'm confused; please help.

2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably have a blown speaker if it sounds that bad. The prius has a separate speaker system, tweeters by the door mirrors and woofers down below. If the woofers are blown, just replace them with the same factory woofer. It'll be plug and play

4. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just looked. A pair of new factory woofers is $220+. For $220, I can get just about the fanciest aftermarket speakers. Used ones are all 10 years old now and also probably shot.

5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look on Ebay, should be able to get a pair for less than $60 of the factory woofers. However, before purchase, you'll want to figure out what the problem really is. Blown speakers are usually buzzy with bass frequencies. Blown tweeters make the high end sound really washed out and distorted. For most normal listeners, the stock sound system should sound okay. Hold your ear next to each speaker at a moderate volume and see if you can figure out which one(s) is bad.

Example on ebay: 04 05 06 07 08 09 Prius Rear or Front Left or Righ Side Door Speaker OEM | eBay

Note that to get the factory speakers out, you need to drill out the grommets. To put new speakers in, you'll need to either use a grommet tool, or find a different solution.

I put in custom woofers and tweeters with crossovers in the front. I hid the crossovers behind the door panels. To do so, I cut a piece of the yellow insulation that's on the interior door panels to fit them, and then mounted them to the door.

Also, you'll want to confirm you don't have the JBL system. If you look behind the center screen and there is a middle speaker, you have the JBL system. If not, you don't.

Finally, if you do replace the speakers with 2-ways, you'll want to disconnect the factory tweeters. The short version of why to do this is that the two tweeters will "interfere" with each other making the frequency response really bad.

#5 Kevin_Denver, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you don't have jbl, do not waste money on factory replacement speakers, cause they suck. any decent aftermarket speakers will definitely sound better. if you do have jbl, tampa prius did a thread on repairing the foam roll, which fails on the jbl woofers.

7. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 08' base model. I went with these for the front doors. I tried to add a link but I don't have enough threads. they are the direct fit Toyota speaker kit from PowerBass. I purchased thru Crutchfield. they sound pretty good with my aftermarket pioneer double din head unit. they come with all the plugs and adaptors so you don't need to cut anything in the factory wiring. you will need a standard pop rivet gun to install, very cheap at any hardware store. for the rear door, I got a pair of kicker 2 way speakers from the clearance section. Crutchfield also sent connectors for those as well. ive been happy with these speakers. ive had them for about 6 or 7 months now. good luck

egg_salad likes this.