1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about replacing my head unit, 2013 Prius Persona

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Nos402, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Nos402

Nos402 Junior Member

I have a 2013 Prius Persona Special Edition in Black Cherry Pearl. I think that makes it a 3rd gen, correct?

I'm thinking about replacing the screen/head unit with one that supports carplay. Long ago I stopped using the bluetooth as it started taking FOREVER to startup and becamse somewhat unreliable. I've been using a 3rd party Tunai Firefly for Bluetooth connection to the Aux port for audio and just mounting my phone in a CD slot wireless charging mount. I never bothered using the primitive Toyota app.

So now I'm really thinking of maybe trying to replace the unit with one that supports Carplay to pipe my phone maps to the screen and audio and all that. I'm fairly tech savvy and I've read a lot of accounts that say it's not very hard, but then I also read about making sure you have all the right parts to retain the steering wheel controls and backup camera, and some folks paying to get their unit "pre-wired."

Is there a fairly simple plug and play option? Like something I could get that would just require plugging the current cables into in and mounting it? I'm just not exactly sure what I need or how deep I'm getting here! Thanks for any advice or feedback!

jr33zy likes this.