1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions for Buying a Used Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ThomasInOnio, Feb 5, 2018.

1. ThomasInOnio

ThomasInOnio New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'e read through some of the posts on buying used Gen IIIs. They are fairly old and now more data is available so I'm asking some questions which may be repeats.

I need a used Prius for my son. I was going to give him my Gen II until the car was totaled in an accident. I'm leaning toward a Gen III unless I can find a great deal on a Gen II. Here's some questions that I think are generic enough that will help others that are looking for a used Prius.

1. Hybrid battery; what's worse for wear: age or miles? Is it better to buy an older year with less miles like a traditional car, or a newer year with more miles?

2. Are there any mechanical issues with the Gen IIIs that happen at a certain age or number of miles that are a known issue?

Thanks for the responses!

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!

Question number one. I wouldn't worry about the Hybrid battery, especially on the 3rd generation, it IS a combination on miles and years. Very few 2010+ prii have had battery issues.

Question number two. The 3rd generation is known for EGR problems, getting clogged with carbon build up over time. Also over the last year we've had a pretty good amount of people report headgasket failures. Also! Oil consumption issues, especially on the 2010 for some reason. So I would search prius EGR, and Prius headgasket and oil consumption, just so you can see for your self what I'm talking about.

My sisters 2010 had very bad oil consumption issues, then the headgasket started leaking around 185k miles. My father and I replaced the engine with a low mile one from a local yard. The car has over 240,000 miles and runs great. Its hard to believe the Hybrid battery out lasted the engine! The battery still works great. Amazing!

ThomasInOnio likes this.
  3. ThomasInOnio

ThomasInOnio New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the hybrid battery in my 2001 myself when it hit 10 years old. THe 2005 didn't have hybrid battery issues either and it was 13 years old. It's good to know that the battery seems to outlast the vehicle. K then I will try to skip the '10 due to head gasket and look for low miles. I have heard of the Prii goign for 250k easily.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The oil usage, rough starting, & head gasket issues appear to be related,
    The solution, other than cleaning up, appears to be an oil catch can. @danlatu @Raytheeagle and others have found it catches much of the fluids that appear to cause these issues, before they get tp the intake of the engine.

#4 Prodigyplace, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    pilotgrrl and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. ThomasInOnio

ThomasInOnio New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2010 was the first year of the Gen III wasn't it? I try not to buy the first model year of a retooling.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe they were updated in 2012 too. Some prefer the newer ones.
    4th Gen started in 2016 with better economy. They redesigned the EGR circuit too. One user here put 90K on Gen 4 with no unexpected issues before selling it.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have a 2010 with 172 k miles on it and going strong :).

The Gen3 was made from model years 2010-2015. During the mid cycle refresh of 2012 on they changed the shape of the intake manifold to be less volume to avoid the startup knock. As far as I know, nothing else is different, so oil consumption will exist as time passes.

I check our oil dipstick every Saturday to ensure it does not get low. If it does get low, the problem gets worse ;).

I also maintain our hv battery using the Hybrid Automotive Prolong equipment and it works well:).

Seen marked improvement in battery performance since doing the reconditioning and top end balancing;).

I would not shy away from an early Gen3. I would just be aware of some of the simple things and you’ll be fine(y).

8. ThomasInOnio

ThomasInOnio New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My 2005 was drinking oil as well. That's all fine. The head gasket is not. :( I think an 11 or 12 would be optimal. I'm just not sure the upper limit on milage. 150,000+ seems excessive, but in our part of the universe, looking for an 11 or 12 with less than 150000 you're talking $13k+ and I just bought a 2015 Trim level 5 with 45k for $17,500 so that seems wacky!

9. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 4s, other than the One and Two Eco, have Li-ion batteries. They need a little extra TLC if you live in a place with extreme climate.

Keep the battery comfortable.

You might want to think about a block heater if it gets extremely cold in winter where you are. Be careful, though, Gen 4s have active grille shutters, if installed incorrectly, the car can catch fire. There's a post here about this happening to an unfortunate person in Alaska.

If you live someplace where it gets extremely hot in summer, keep the battery cool. Run the AC for your comfort, the battery will be happier. Get a sun shade for the rear window (or tint all the windows), and think about putting a sun shade with the reflective side up over the tonneau cover.

These are all things I've learned reading other posts, especially in the Prius Prime forums.

Might be worth checking out a 2016 or 2017 for yourself!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ThomasInOnio likes this.
  10. ThomasInOnio

ThomasInOnio New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't really like the styling of the new Prius. I do like the Prime, but don't want to pay that much. However, I did just become the proud owner of a 2015 Prius V with solar moonroof. :)