1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions I come up with late at night...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ReallyLily, Mar 14, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the real question is not how long it takes for the glow of Prius ownership to wear off, its how long did it take to drive all your co-workers crazy because you did nothing but talk about your Prius since the day you got it?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You need to find a large parking lot and stare at your screen. Someone had previously asked this question so I asked my rear passengers to watch the wheels as I backed into a parking spot.

Thier observation: Backwards!

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi David:

To the point of my co-workers avoiding me at the coffee machine: 4 days

To the point of my co-workers going Postal: 9 days

Actually, I have several at the office very seriously thinking of getting a Prius, so it can't be all bad. A lot of my co-workers also feel that if I can get rid of a giant pickup, why can't they?

The guy who *special ordered* a Chrysler 300C last fall sure feels silly now. God that thing has to be the ugliest car on the road. Depreciation is horrific.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whoa that is a cargo cover holder upper!!! Damn I thought it was to crank up the jack. I had something that looked like that and that is what I used if for once! Then I asked myself why I was changing a tire when I had AAA! Rooting around in the mud and rain is not something I am going to do anylonger! Thanks for the info.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Jayman;

i will admit for the first 2 weeks many were totally facinated over my car, especially the fact that it made no noise when i pulled into the lot every morning. i also made a habit of making a cruise through the lot past the smoking and break areas knowing full well that there are never any parking spaces up front before parking in the back.

to make it more attention gathering, i printed a fact sheet from John 1701A site and put it in my window.

but as i said, that lasted 2 weeks so now i only talk about the car when someone asks about it. that used to happen a lot, but someone has made a point of warning all new hires about me so it doesnt happen that much any more. *sigh*

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A guy here at work bought a new Acura and had to tell everyone. We heard about the test driving experience, the dealership haggling, the pick-up, and the drive home. He even said one day, "I'll drive for lunch so you guys can ride in my car."

I have to say that my respect for someone who pushes their things on other people and shows them off like that is pretty low. Like Dave, I try to not push my car onto others but am quick and ready to answer every question they might have. Oddly, when we go to lunch, people ask me to drive.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony:

Well, I never actually made a point of tooting my own horn.

The first morning I drove in, I parked in my usual stall and a co-worker was just getting out of her car. She couldn't believe what kind of car I was driving. She claimed it looked like something out of the Jetson's.

:roll:

On the elevator ride up, she kept pestering me, so *finally* I broke down and started blabbering about it. This kept up in the office, as co-workers would occasionally sneak an elevator ride back into the parking area.

I also noticed a *lot* of fingerprints on my side windows and windshield.

So eventually, somebody would ask me a minor question about the Prius and I would launch into a detailed narrative. I guess after about 4 days of this folks either got the word or decided it had gone on a bit much.

However, it never completely dried up. Even now, folks still ask things like how the fuel economy is, how I like my winter tires, if I cried at my first door ding (Answer: NO, and I now have two dings :guns: )

Also, if we (Closest associates among my co-workers) ever do go out somewhere for coffee or whatnot, inevitably they want to ride in my Prius. So it has made a very good impression, at least among folks who park in the underground parking.

The only person at work who was a royal PITA about his car was that guy who special ordered his Chrysler 300C. He took delivery within a week of my Prius, and he was always going on an on about how fast his Hemi was, how *roomy* his car is, etc etc. Folks eventually started openly comparing my Prius to his Chrysler, and that shut him up.

To be sure, the trunk is huge. But for overall interior space, my Prius competes quite well. And unlike that Chrysler, my Prius is cute.

The Chrysler 300C wins my personal vote for Ugliest Car Ever Dreamed Up. It's revolting, a complete turn off. Ever seen the movie The Car with James Brolin? Think about it ...

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I drove Priapus to work for three days, parking him right in front of the front windows but not saying a word. Finally, I ended up walking out the door with someone in the evening and he saw that I went to the Prius. That's how my coworkers found out that I had a new car - the Prius they knew I was waiting for.

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"...a co-worker was just getting out of her car. She couldn't believe what kind of car I was driving.... On the elevator ride up, she kept pestering me, so *finally* I broke down and started blabbering about it."

Maybe she was just hitting on you. "I LOVE your car, how is the back seat?"

10. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops :oops: . I guess they do roll backwards. I better have my peripheral checked.

Anyway. Talk about attention to detail

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never even thought about it until, like I said, someone here mentioned it. Even then it slipped my mind to check. I'm sure I was 200+ days into driving the car every day before I ever saw them spin backwards.

12. prius04

prius04 New Member

I'm about to go home from work.

I called the supervisor to leave a message and someone who I haven't talked to in months answered and when she heard me, she asked me about my "fancy car". She made another comment about how rich I am.

I then told her that a Camry costs more than my Prius. Then I said that even if the car was expensive, did she realize that oil just closed over $56 per barrel, the highest ever?

She then said "So whats your message". I chuckled.

When I go on some units, they call me the electric man. I still get lost of questions.

(By the way, the Senate voted today to allow ANWR drilling. This should save every American about 0.001 cents per gallon, starting in about 2011, and likely postpone the day we do something that actually makes sense about our energy problem.)

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ummmm ... I don't think so. If her girlfriend found out, she would either beat the s*** out of my co-worker or - this is much worse - beat the s*** out of ME.

I've met her girlfriend: this gal is scary and *way* stronger than I am.