1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions of setup of door locks and headlights...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priusgirl33, Feb 11, 2011.

1. priusgirl33

priusgirl33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Happy new owner of a 2011 Prius II!

I have put 600 miles on it so far. I searched this forum, and read the manual cover to cover, and visited the "master mechanic" at my local dealership but am getting conflicting information on the following:

1. Is there a way to make the car automatically lock when I get out of it without having to dig my key out of my purse and hit the lock button or run my finger over the door sensor? It seems to me that once you get out of key range, it should have an option to auto lock - or maybe after a certain amount of time autolock.

I have received many different answers to this question, I have searched here, and the latest is the mechanic at my dealership telling me this is impossible.

Also, I would like to confirm the following:

2. On a Prius II (no auto setting on headlights) - is there any problem at all with just leaving the headlights in the on postion all the time? They turn off automatically 30 seconds after I leave the car, so is there a downside to doing this?

Thanks for any help. Reading this forum helped me get a great price (21,950) and also helped me on how to drive it, and how to set it up - I have used this site as a resource more than I have done anything else for 2 weeks!

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. The only auto lock I know of is the automatic door lock function if the door is not opened after being unlocked. The default is 60 seconds.

2. You won't have any problem leaving the headlights on 100% of the time. You can customize them to turn off after 0 second of closing the door if you prefer.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Good price... almost a grand less than I bought mine a year and half ago.

Not sure about 1 above but don't think there is anything on board that will do that.

On 2 above, There is no problem leaving the lights on as long as you turn them on after you start the car (for the first time). There is a way you can turn them on such that they will not turn off. Just make sure they do turn off after 30 secs for the first time.

Cheers.

4. priusgirl33

priusgirl33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses, glad there is consensus on the headlights question.

I am just so confused about the auto-lock issue because it just makes sense to me that if you have a smart key, why wouldn't it just auto lock the car once you are out of range? I often have my hands full, and my key is buried in my purse, and I am 10 feet away from my car and I have to dig my key out to lock it.

Would love to hear some more verification that this is in fact NOT an option on the Prius II. My mechanic is sick of me already!!!

Thanks

5. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree... I really don't know why they don't offer this as an option, but I am quite certain that unfortunately it is not an option. Part of the problem might be that the SKS sensors only have a range of about 3 feet around the antennas... in the case of your model II the only sensor is in the driver's door handle. So I could see a situation where you got out of the driver's door and walked around to open the hatch, but because you moved the key out of range of the antenna it locked the car before you had a chance to open the hatch.

As a side note, it's good to see another Prius owner in Orlando on here:)

Brett

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You couldn't stick one finger out to touch just the top sensor even if you're holding a bag?

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on the size of that bag.! I have seen some big ones. :)

8. priusgirl33

priusgirl33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O-Town!! Im the gal going 55 in the right lane on I-4!

Thanks for that answer - it makes sense. I guess it would also make sense for them to put it on a 30 second delay, so that once the key was out of range it would auto lock after 30 secs, but I guess I have to accept this as a minor inconvenience.

As far as running your finger over the sensor, I guess I have to get used to doing it, it just needs to be part of my routine. Its not so much that I always have my hands full, its more that I forget to do it - walk 20 feet away in a busy parking lot - and realize I didnt lock the car (my last car autolocked).

Thanks again for all the help guys! This forum is the best for anything prius!

:rockon:

9. SDave

SDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After opening the door, I hit the lock button. The door will remain locked and you do not need to hit he outside button or your FOB.