1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions on Rosen Unit with JBL System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sfadchi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. sfadchi

sfadchi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there any way to have the factory bluetooth handsfree steering wheel controls work? Or are you stuck using the up and down arrow? I like the idea of upgrading to the rosen unit but I don't like the idea of having 3 useless buttons on my steering wheel.

2. mkhan01

mkhan01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put in a Rosen HU a few days back in my III w/ JBL.

The bluetooth capability w/ Rosen is certainly not on par w/ the outgoing JBL based system.
    There is no voice dialing, no speed dial keys, no phonebook etc.
    This is the only weak point w/ the Rosen I have noticed thus far - other features are great.

If you go w/ a non Rosen unit, there is an PAC SWI-JACK based option that may work w/ enabling the steering wheel buttons w/ some other HUs.

BTW, when I installed the Rosen, a harness that used to go to the back of the JBL didnt find a home behind the Rosen, perhaps this contains the bluetooth signals to the JBL.

I will be taking the HU back out to run a backup camera, I will try to test the pins in the loose harness to see if they respond w/ steering wheel buttons if so it maybe possible to integrate a 3-rd party system with the buttons such as the parrot's bluetooth kit + their unika might be an option.

3. sfadchi

sfadchi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your response, let me know what you find!

4. mkhan01

mkhan01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i finally got a chace to go back in and poke around and I have mixed news:

it seems the off hook and on hook bluetooth buttons (on steering wheel) are actually wired to the Rosen and work correctly! When you press them you will hear a "beep" coming from rosen. I tested them by pressing off hook during incoming call and it worked (i.e. answered the call). I also pressed the on hook during call and it properly hungup.

That leaves the multi-function button... either it is not wired to the Rosen (There is no beep or any other acknowledgement when you press it) or Rosen doesn't do anything when it is pressed..

I am still considering the parrot Unika option to restore the multi-function but I haven't been able to justify a couple hundred bucks to basically enable voice recognition bluetooth and the associated single non-working button to myself yet..