1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions regarding installing a new car stereo in 2012 Prius TWO

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MBOutlier, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MBOutlier

MBOutlier New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been having issues with bluetooth dropping out and the Toyota dealer wants to replace the radio. I would like to upgrade the radio if I have to replace it. I am concerned with losing some functionality. For example, there are several Vehicle settings that are accessed via the radio (Car button). Things like auto-lock by speed or shifting from Park are access via the 'Car' button. How can these be changed with a non-Toyota brand like Kenwood or Pioneer?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In order to preserve head unit functions you would have to retain the HU and add a new, separate, unconnected audio source. Not what you imagined, I imagine.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes you would lose car specific features. Keep the same type of unit and amplify the speaker outputs and replace the door speakers.

4. MBOutlier

MBOutlier New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the quick responses. Now I am wondering if others have changed the head unit and not missed the loss of features. With a Prius Two, not II as only 2010 used uppercase roman numerals for model designation, there aren't many non-audio features to lose.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prior to 2012 , two models did not have a 6.1 inch screen. They had a standard CD player. The extra functions were controlled through the OBDII port. I would think that still works with 2012 and on. Besides, once they are set the way you like, it never gets changed. I wouldn't miss it.