1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

questions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by baysidefish, Jun 21, 2021.

1. baysidefish

baysidefish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

I have a few questions and was wondering if someone could let me know.

1. For testing purposes, I left my hands off the steering wheel and see how the steering assist works. It seems like after for a short period of time, this function will be turned off and asks me to put my hands on the wheel. Is this correct?

2. Please see the pic attached, what are the solid blue lines on the radar? it does not appear all the time.

thank you very much

Attached Files:

Valiant V likes this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The Gen4 does pester you about keeping your hands on the wheel, but the steering assist stays on. It will bump the steering wheel as you start to cross a lane marker.

JeffD

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. baysidefish

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I see. thank you very much

4. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    The blue lines indicated show when the Lane Departure Alert system can see the lines on the sides of the lane that you're driving in. This uses the camera that's mounted in front of the central mirror. You need to be going over a certain speed (22mph?) and the lines need to be visible by the camera for it to work. If just one side is shown on the display, then it can only see the lines on that side. If there are no lines displayed then it can't see any lines. If both lines are there it can see the lines on both sides.

If your wheel touches a line that it can see, on either side, then it will warn you with a beep and the relevant line will flash on that side of the display.

SM-T500 ?

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  5. baysidefish

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    thanks for the reply.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, agree with the above. I don't think there is a car on the market which will allow your hands off the wheel. TESLA did to an extent at one stage, but I believe they've turned that "feature" off.

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    A little more information from the manual on this. It states that the Lane Tracing Assistant (LTA) may operate when a deviation is detected from either a lane, which is marked by white or yellow lines, or a course, which is described as a boundary between asphalt and the side of the road such as grass, soil, or a curb. This instruction is followed by a couple pages of warnings describing conditions in which functions may not operate properly. I keep my lane departure alert function active but have the assistant turned off. It's kind of spooky when it takes control of the steering wheel. And yes, after about 10 seconds with hands off the wheel there is a warning. Edging ever closer to self-driving. Wonder if the vehicle collects and shares metadata from these systems.