1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick, Affordable, and Secure Fix for Broken Lift Gate Garnish

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EH2016, Feb 5, 2021.

1. EH2016

EH2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like many 2nd generation Priuses, my rear lift gate garnish broke off. The plastic connection points on the inside of the garnish snapped years ago and the piece held okay for a few years until it finally needed to be help in place with blue painter's tape to keep it from falling off.

I called 5 of the closest Toyota dealerships to get quotes for this repair and they all came back between $550 and $750. I was inspired by this video to come up with a cheaper DIY option. After doing my own research on what bonding agent would work best, I decided on epoxy and ordered this kind. I did the repair a few days ago and I'm incredibly impressed with how easy it was to do and how strong the bond is. The whole thing took about 45 minutes.

I'm also adding a few photos to show the final product. I know not everybody wants to do DIY stuff like this on their car, but I personally didn't want to dump hundreds of dollars into this and figured there might be others out there who might want to see this information.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe just post the pics in this thread? And did you take any pics of the repair process? You removed the piece and applied two-part epoxy from the back? Any reinforcement, say Fiberglas mesh, or?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suppose that's one way of doing it. More than one way to get the job done!
    I've never seen a rearview camera fail or the hatch release button fail, so those likely wont be a problem. The license plate bulbs? That could be a future issue if your local po-po is strict on those. Did you install new bulbs before epoxying? or are they still accesible? Been a year or so since I've swapped any.

4. EH2016

EH2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I didn't take any photos of the process and I didn't use any reinforcements. In terms of the steps, I removed and cleaned the garnish and then applied epoxy all around the inside edge before attaching it to the door. I did have to hold it in place for 20 or so minutes for the bonding to finalize. Better than spending $500+, though!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. EH2016

EH2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! Yes, I installed new bulbs. Should be good to go as long as the car's around!

amsciubay likes this.
  6. MildlyEccentric

MildlyEccentric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made a similar repair on my 2006 Prius lift gate garnish twice over the last 15 years. The garnish has 4 metal bolts which are held captive by plastic bosses. Usually the plastic boss cracks and the bolt is no longer held captive. The first time I used JB Weld Plastic Weld and the second time I used the Steelstick product for the repair. The first repair, I used the epoxy to hold the cracked plastic pieces back in place. The second repair, I put the bolts in position and then molded the epoxy around them and the plastic boss. I would suggest putting masking tape around the threads of the bolts so you don't get epoxy in the threads of the bolt.

7. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My liftgate was fine but I just realised that it corroded so badly. The front struts are also corroded but I was sure that I can scrub it because the steel is much thicker on the front suspension struts.

It is the original Stabilus ZF/Sachs struts. Only one side is badly corroded but they work perfectly. Should I worry about it or just replace it for $35 for the same ZF struts.

Other brands are much cheaper. Range from $8 unknown brands to $15 Monroe brands. In the past, I used Monroe, the mechanism is similar with some damping near the end of the extension. Other brands such as strongarms, etc. do not have damping mechanism. It cause the hatch bounching.

Attached Files: