1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

quick car wash - gas station ok?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by galacticenergy, Aug 15, 2016.

1. galacticenergy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are these OK? the small automated car washes usually as part of a gas station, I want to wash my car, but hear so many things about automated car washes, at the same time, I want to save time and some cash

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's one near us where you drive in, stop, and all the brushes/sprays do the moving. That type is definitely safer for the Prius, due it having to be running to be in Neutral. People do use the regular pull-along style car washes, but it's problematic, due to the Prius not being able to be in Neutral and off.

If you can access a driveway and hose, DIY wash it, that's definitely preferable imho.

GaryD1 likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LA?
    I didn't think that it was legal to wash cars there....

First of all, the automatic washers that you hear about are the type that you leave your car in Neutral so that they can get pulled through the wash. Most of the damage that occurs from these type of washes is caused by cockpit error, and by the wash itself....especially if it's not a touch-less wash. If you know what you're doing you can use these buy I generally avoid them because they're expensive and if you do NOT know what you're doing, or 'Steve the Stoner' car wash dude doesn't know what HE is doing bad things can happen.....quickly.

Some gas stations on the other hand will use a touch-less washer that you drive the car through, and they're not going to damage your car's finish like some of the ones with the whirling plastic grinders or the sand and mud infused blue floppy things.
    However (comma!) you need to make sure that they don't do something wonky like recycle their water, or use harsh chemicals for their "luster-brite" additives.
    At best the 'pull-thru' types are useful only for getting dust and grit off of the surface.....and they ARE useful for that.

Me?
    I just wash my car myself.....semi-occasionally.
    One of the advantages of being middle-aged is that you don't really give a toss about the dirt and dings. :)

Dragon Rider likes this.
  4. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never used them, use water less car wash for not too dirty of car. Its fast, simple and does good job. Spray entire car with water less wash, use half bucket water, wet rag, wipe panel, ring out rag, got to next panel and so on. Do the tires last. When you are done with whole car, wipe entire car with microfiber towel. It does a pretty good job, especially in cold weather. This procedure will require about 15-30 min to do depending how dirty car is and how fast you are. I have used the simple automated spray car wash and of course use a rag also. The water less wash lifts the dirt so you just wipe it off. I would not do real dirty car like this. I've never had any scratching. Some good brands on the market in water less car wash. I would not use gas station car wash, the water less car wash will save you money and possible time but not elbow grease.

5. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will add this note, I bough a gallon of water less car wash, 2 oz per gallon water, this would be strong formula, don't know if we're allowed to mention the brand or not. I've had it 5 years now and not used but about an inch out of jug. It goes a long long way.

6. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And while you are washing you get to eyeball the whole car including tires, etc.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i use car washes exclusively. just make sure you have a good 5 or 6 bars before entering.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you can put the car into neutral in accessory mode, doesn't have to be ready mode. Just don't get the comforts of AC and such

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. galacticenergy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, washing it myself is preferable, but I dont have the driveway access/time to do so

10. galacticenergy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    great to know, do you use these quick car washes where you stay still and then get air blown, or the typical ones where the car moves along a tunnel/track and then the car wash people dry it off by hand

11. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I took all my past Prius through the automated car washes prob weekly or at least bi weekly and never once had an issue and never thought twice about it.

But yeah now that I think about it after reading a few threads on the matter I guess don't roll into one with 2 bars and the AC full blast with the stereo blasting and headlight on....

12. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I stop using the car washer cause the water spot on my Gen 3 had gone really bad. I do the washing my self on the weekend. Is great work out anyway.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've used both kinds, doesn't seem to make any difference. but i'm just trying to clean my car, don't go by me, i'm no paint and polish aficionado.:)

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a drive through car wash....too often actually....
    It is better to hand wash, and wax.

BUT....

IMO a drive through car wash is fine, if the car wash itself maintained well, and you have a good layer of wax and your paint is in good condition to start with.

BUT....

With the Prius it's imperative you enter the Car Wash with the Hybrid Battery fairly well charged. NOT low.
    And I have learned you do NOT want to be running your air conditioning as you ride through. On a hot day, in neutral, it's amazing how quickly the air conditioning can zap the Hybrid Battery power.

So my advice is good charge upon entering, and avoid accessory usage while riding through.
    By the time you exit YOU might be sweating and needing a shower....but the Prius will be clean.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In case anybody is wondering "how do I get a full SOC before entering a car wash?". While in Drive, you simply have 1 foot on the brake while you press the gas pedal to the metal. This is force charging and your car will charge in a minute or so. Then you just proceed with the car wash in Neutral.... preferably without AC or have AC on it's lowest setting.

**Safety precaution, make sure you set your parking brake and try not to run into the car in front of you.***

#15 JC91006, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for reminding us, can this be done on all 4 gens?

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The guy ahead of you at the car wash: "What is going on!? Oh, just a Prius..."

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol. This luckily only takes a minute. I'm sure there will be a line at the car wash, do it while you're almost at the front of the line.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I have only done it on my gen2, but I don't see why you can't do it on others.....same engineering, same design.

20. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yep and U get to sweat all you want if its 100+ degree outside, nothing like it, we getting to lazy?

booke02 likes this.