1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick, Cheap, Speaker and Sound Deadening Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by revhigh, Mar 1, 2011.

1. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just did my doors this weekend with SS Damp Pro.

Door panels were heck to get off without tool, snaps are viciously tight, but doable. Get a tool! Put hassock under door panel so when I lifted it up so it rested on it. Unclipped courtesy light only, and popped off the door handle wires. They are simple to do, let door rest on hassock, plenty of room to work.

Plastic vapor barrier easy to slowly peel back to allow access through the big hole at rear of door and another closer to speaker. Just go slow, and try not to get much/any of the black butyl on you/gloves/upholstery. Fold it back and stick it to itself so you have easy access. Some strips I put in were 20" x 7" so plenty of room, most pieces were small though to fit. Lots of empty smooth area towards front of door, long reach but easy to do. No need to remove speaker. I didn't touch the bolts and styrofoam, I figured it was some kind of thingy for the power window. And taking it off would only expose a small area.

When finished just put the plastic back, it had plenty of sticky to seal back up fine, no worries. Door went back on easy also. Found a couple of wires and plastic that might rattle so put some foam there.

FYI snaps are same as ones on footwell panel. Add evil to vicious.

2. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For us visual learners, pics would sure be nice. I can't believe that no one that did the upgrade didn't take any pictures!

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah ... sorry ... I was in kind of a hurry as it was getting dark out ... needed to finish the project.

I've since bought the same Pioneer speakers for the rear, a Clarion CZ500 Bluetooth head unit on blowout from Crutchfield, and just today bought a Boston Acoustics 4 channel 50 W/ch amp ... also on blowout ... marked down from $250 to $125, and I used a $20 coupon which made it $105.

Total invested in the stereo upgrade ... 4 Pioneer TSA1673 speakers ($100), Clarion CZ500 BT head unit ($120), Boston Acoustics 504 4 channel Amp ($105) = $325. All these products had blowout pricing from Crutchfield. I think I got a lot of great name brand stuff for really inexpensive prices. Can't wait to hear it installed. Free shipping and no tax, with all the install hardware and brackets included. Most head units cost as much as I paid for everything. 30 day money back guarantee with free return shipping if not satisfied ... we'll see.

Will get everything installed this weekend.

REV

4. Fla Fla Flo Fly

Fla Fla Flo Fly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its interesting, since doing the speakers, the FM reception appears to have gotten worse. Has this been the case with you?

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 person likes this.
  6. Fla Fla Flo Fly

Fla Fla Flo Fly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe I can just HEAR the static now! :D

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's like when you sober up and see who you brought home with you last night.:eek:

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then you gnaw your arm off rather than wake her because she's laying on your arm .... the stock system is COYOTE UGLY !! :D

REV

9. indiposh

indiposh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Rev,

How was the install on the rear speakers - did you run into any problems that you didn't encounter with the front?

Also, did you have to take out the top tweeter, and now only use the lower speaker space?

10. octomobiki

octomobiki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reference - if I tackle the speakers in my own vehicle I can definitely use this!!

11. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    THe rear speaker install was basically a duplicate of the front. The door panels come off exactly the same, and the only difference is that the rears are held on by 3 rivets each and they're 6.5's instead of 6X9's. Equaly garbage speakers though. The factory speakers are just a joke.

I also completed the Bluetooth head unit install, and also the amp install over the weekend.

The results are nothing short of phenomenal. It's like a totally different car. As much as the Pioneer speakers improved the factory stereo's capabilities, the new head unit and the added 4 channel amp just TOTALLY TRANSFORMED the system. WIth the new head unit, and especially the amp, the sound pressure level is far greater, but totally clean. THe music hits you and you can feel it, but the bass is tight and very clean. THere is no boominess to the bass, the mids are clean and clear, and the highs are not shrill at all. Imaging is vastly improved from ZERO with the factory system to incredible now.

For the $325 that I invested, and the 4 hours of my time for a no holds barred installation, I would put this system up against the factory JBL system any time. There simply is no comparison.

I've heard and analyzed both factory systems, and now I've heard my $325 upgraded system.

Anyone local is more than welcome to come and hear this upgrade. I'd be glad to show you the ins and outs of the upgrades I made.

The sound deadening that I put in the rear doors also made a massive difference. No mor clangy tinniness when you close the rear doors. Sounds more like a Volvo or Mercedes than the horrible tinniness of the original Prius doors.

What a difference $350 can make. :D

By the way .... haven't done anything with the squawkers yet. Might not do anything it sounds so good.

REV

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    shhhh...be vewy vewy quiet...Thai might be listening.

13. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL !!

I've corresponded many times with Thai. I'm glad he's happy with his JBL system ... it just didn't do anything for me when I listened to it. I think the main issue for me with the JBL system is the lack of REAL power in the amplification. Even 50 honest watts per channel really cleans everything up, and makes a huge difference.

REV

14. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure, but do the rear doors also have sperate tweeters ? I think I've never opened the rear door so far ;)

Answer my own question: Yes, it's a component system.

15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did not want to comment in your thread...but, this is just plain ridiculous to say, given your "credentials"! Come on, you openly admitted that you ONLY heard the JBL system on a testdrive while using FM radio! That is analyzing??!! :rolleyes: You're making me lose respect in your opinion, Revhigh!!:( Geez, all that talk in the other thread about your audio experience just turned to crap....

And NO, a poor source makes any system sounds bad. A bad system can cover up a bad source because it lacks detail and image. But a good system will bring out the faults in a bad source.

Wow, if that is what "analyzing" is about, then i can really critic your current system and tell you about all the inherent flaws in it and why it is really not worth $325! ;) My old Corolla system would put your system to shame...and my Corolla's system was not very good IMO!

16. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Real power? Improper imaging and placement makes "clean" power sounds like crap. Frequency overlapping results in poor sound. Clean power is only a small part of the equation, ESPECIALLY IN A CAR!! That is where your past audio experience is clouding your judgement in car audio.

17. blake918

blake918 Blizzard Brigade #23

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I only had the time to do my front doors this evening. I put 6sqft of Dynamat Extreme in the door before installing the Pioneer speaker. Talk about a night and day difference. I took a video to show the difference that the dynamat made; it really is something! I can't wait to get to the rear doors sometime this week. The new speakers really sound great too!

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Kudos for sharing this info! I just finished my install which consists of 6 speakers and 2 rolls of Peel and Seal. This stuff definitely reduces noise by changing how the sheet metal panels resonate. I used 2 rolls which weighed about 4 lbs each to cover 4 door and trunk floor. Took about 6-8 hours.

#78 Sfcyclist, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016