1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick info on 2014 Prius Transmission & Fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AllMightyM15, Jun 2, 2016.

1. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, I'm getting the transmission fluid changed out at the dealer along with a few things I've been needing to get done. I've been down this road before when I come across possible BS so I wanted to ask:

Is there anywhere else you can plug a tube to in order to get the transmission fluid into the transmission BESIDES the drain plug and the fill plug? Dealer was giving me this crazy thing about how they flush the transmission by un plugging something by coolant? (Immediately BS).

This will be the third Official Toyota place I have to call Toyota reps on if they really think people are that stupi, I'm in the waiting room chuckling at the stories they telling people who's cars they looked at (funniest one is your brake fluid is turning black).

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. there's another thread here, where the service guy told the customer there was no transmission fluid.:cool:

3. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are awesome, I didn't even get a chance to open up my drawing app to start passing the time. Nice, I'm gonna have a little fun and record this conversation I have with him AFTER they do the work I wanted done.

bisco likes this.
  4. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On a Prius, no, but on a car with a normal automatic transmission the fluid usually goes through a cooler built into the radiator, and that's where they'll hook the flush machine up to. The service guy probably doesn't think you're stupid, he just too stupid himself to realize all cars are not exactly the same.

BTW, I have seen brake fluid turn black before. It happens when rubber in the braking system starts to degrade. If I recall correctly, this was not long before the master cylinder went. Cost me $30 bucks for a rebuilt replacement, and I wonder why I'm shocked by dealer pricing.

CR94 likes this.
  5. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See that's what I was thinking, right now with my other stuff, he quoted me almost $700, and $165 is my "transmission fluid flush", once they are done I'll be speaking with their service manager personally.

I was only expecting no more then $500 with the work I asked, I even provided all the fluids and filters beside the car oil filter (they're telling me it's the wrong one so I'm about to call the manufacturer to ask)

I swear once I get my own place with a garage I won't even look at another Toyota service place again.

bisco likes this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $165 for transmission fluid service seems about right. You know they look up the rates in a standard "bible", regardless of how long the job actually takes. This is probably for 1 hour of labor and some fluid and other shop supplies. That's what I'd expect to be charged, regardless of how they say they're going to do the job. Your SA was probably just trying to justify the $165 charge when he told you about the flush procedure.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would shop it around. many here doi it themselves. it's a simple drain and fill, $25. worth of fluid. should be able to find someone for $100. or less.

Fostel likes this.