1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick price check

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by asteros, Sep 6, 2016.

1. asteros

asteros New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend is selling his 2015 Prius.

All I know is 22000 miles, asking price is 14k. I think it's a sweet deal. But I'm new to prius. My local dealer has a 2015 with 34k mils for 15k$. And I know I won't buy a brand new one.

Pls help. I'll use for daily commute of 15 mils round trip...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sounds like a great price! make sure no accidents, flooding and etc. all the best!(y)

JTT2 likes this.
  3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What option level is it? Check MyToyota.com with the VIN to see its dealer service history.

$14k isn't a bad price for a 2015 if it has the equipment you need for your commute.

JTT2 likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    15 miles round trip per day? The Prius is NOT for you then. Prius thrives on being driven. Prius performs poorly unless it is thoroughly warmed up. 15 miles round trip equals 7.5 miles one way. 7.5 miles will not even warm up a Prius fully, much less make it perform economically.

JTT2 and exstudent like this.
  5. asteros

asteros New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks everyone for the info.
    Yes, this commute is not much, but I didn't know that Prius might not be greatest for this. On average my family drives 7k miles per year outside of commuting, so i guess I should primarily use this car...

thx

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not to disagree with dorunron who is far more knowledgeable than i, but my commute was 15 miles a day for 8 years with a 2004 and 2008, and my mpg's were always 55 in summer and 45 in winter.

that being said, when i bought the pip, my mpg's went to infinity, and it would be the perfect car for you.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The majority of my trips now are short hops. YTD is 2240 miles and 47.31 gallons for 47.3mpg. 2015 was 5224 miles on 104.723 gallons for 49.9mpg. For fuel economy the Prius will beat anything else that doesn't have a plug.

bisco likes this.
  8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OP lives in Oregon, not New York, the temps are mild, so the Prius should warm up pretty fast. I would not be concerned with not being able to benefit from a Prius MPG's, because of a short commute.

bisco likes this.
  9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need to know the trim level of the Prius. Cloth seats or leather? Steel wheels with hubcaps or alloys? Etc.

10. asteros

asteros New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a Prius two. So pretty standard configs. There is a small dent in the front left bumper. But I believe it's quite easy to remove?
    Very excited about the new features. Give the mileage I was told the warranty is expiring soon. What are my options for purchasing an extended warranty if that's necessary at all?

Where do I find the most complete overview of features?

11. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Kelly Blue Book lists a 2015 Prius Two in "good" condition with a trade value between $12,200 and $14,000.

Private sale gives a value of $15,450 .

Looks like you might get a reasonable bargain.

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Powertrain warranty has many more years left on it, its 5 years and 60,000 miles.
    Toyota 3/36,000 - Bumper to Bumper
    5/60 - Powertrain
    5/Unlimited - Rust

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The dealer will be happy to sell you an extended warranty as long as the car is under 36000 miles. The odds are against you needing the extended warranty for a covered repair.

Search for and download the sales booklet. Your friend should give you the owners manual and two fobs.

14. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dorunron is correct. Prius does best when driven.

Yes, Oregon will not have sever winters like New York, so mileage should be better in Oregon than NY.
    Oregon is colder than the Los Angeles area; LA will likely get better mileage than Oregon due to temperature.

Here's some real world numbers for OP to ponder
    When we were living in Long Beach, wife had a commute of 14miles/45minutes door-to-door, w/ a resulting MPG of 48-51.
    Now that we moved to Torrance, wife has an enviable commute: 1.1miles/8minutes door-to-door, with a horrible resulting MPG of 33-37.

How Bisco got 45-55MPG in cold Boston is incredible. Maybe his Prius was always garaged and he used an engine block heater in winter?

If OP decides on a Prius, enjoy your purchase. However, don't be disappointed if you do not see great overall MPGs (say >45MPG, even in winter).

bisco likes this.
  16. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yeah but still, even with the shorter commute he would still be getting better mpg than a comparable gasser!

Not to mention he stated he also drives 7k miles a year outside of his daily commute!

17. asteros

asteros New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! It definitely makes me feel better to see that there's so many Prius lovers around!!!

Yes, I will try to use it is much as i can, not only because it's more economic, but i'm assuming it's also more fun to drive around than my old Camry :)

Here is the warranty table based on the VIN. I don't see the battery warranty. i live in a CARB state. Any thoughts?

2017 --- 25,000 mi. --- Toyota --- Roadside Assistance: 1 years

2018 --- 36,000 mi. --- Toyota --- Basic Warranty: 2 years

2020 --- Unlimited mi. --- Toyota --- Corrosion Warranty: 4 years

2020 --- 60,000 mi. --- Toyota --- Powertrain Warranty: 4 years

18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The long CARB warranty is to be based on the initial and continuous vehicle registration in a CARB State. If this is the case, then no worries.

HOWEVER, there are weird exceptions.
    Washington State and a few others are worthless CARB- they adopted the CARB emission standard, but not the longer warranty.
    Some States adopted CARB & the longer warranty starting w/ a certain model year.

Since you are looking at a very late model Pri, you probably don't have to worry about the adoption starting with a certain model year.

There is only 1 State, IIRC, that adopted CARB for one model year then drooped out of CARB completely: Arizona.

There have also been "Good Will" gesture from Toyota Customer care, giving the longer warranty to a customer in a non-CARB State. The one strong commonality to Good Will, seems to be how good of a Toyota customer are you:
    Lots of dealer paid maintenance?
    Lots of Toyota vehicle purchases?
    The more of both, the greater likelihood of assistance.​

19. asteros

asteros New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually called my local dealer. The car was purchased in TX, and I will be using it in OR. And the dealer said yes, it will be the CARB warranty: so 10yr/150k miles. Hope that it will be honored...

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    neither texas, nor oregon are carb states, are they?