1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick Question re: charging battery while parked

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Nov 16, 2022.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have two Prius. One is my daily driver the other is my spare (and nicer with all the upgrades). I understand that Prius have to be driven regularly to keep the hybrid battery charged. I have been driving my spare roughly 30 minutes per week in one drive.

However, since its cold weather now I decided to start driving the spare Prius a couple of miles total, to the coffee shop in the morning. While at the coffee shop for roughly 15 minutes sitting in my car and occasionally revving up the engine while idle & parked.

Is this sufficient to charge the hybrid batter? I would prefer not to drive the car aimlessly 30 minutes per week.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is more important for the 12 volt battery than the hybrid battery, but a smart charger can take care of that.
    as hybrid batteries age, their tolerance for sitting is reduced. they will slowly seld discharge to a state that can damage the individual cells that are the weakest.

you can force charge the battery once in awhile by pressing hard on the brake, and flooring the accelerator.
    keep an eye on it, and do it every time the battery icon drops below four bars.
    it is impossible for us to know the state of your batteries, and recommend a drive time or frequency

3. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

is there any way to use a low amp charger to do the work for me? I have one and maybe just somehow putting them on where the jumper cables go under the hood would work, or not?? my guess is not tbh.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that would work. but if it's not a smart charger, it could eventually damage the battery.

a smart charger knows the battery level, and turns on and off to keep it topped up

5. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

yes it is a smart charger. So basically what you are saying is first the 12V loses power/charge and in turn the hybrid gets negatively affected. I thought the engine had to run (be revving at X rpm) to actually maintain the Prius, but that is incorrect and its more about simply keeping the 12V battery fully charged?

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

bisco likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As your hybrid battery gets older, the lack of regular driving will get more problematic. You could invest in a high voltage trickle charger to address that in the same way you address the 12v. Or you could plan to upgrade to a NexCell Lithium that doesn't have self discharge issues like Prius NiMH packs have... The trickle charger for hybrid battery is available via maxx volts or hybrid automotive in the $500 range or you can build your own for $100: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry for my poor explanation.
    you want to keep the 12v charged so it doesn't die. separate issue from the hybrid battery.

you also want to keep the hybrid battery charged, which requires the engine, whether it is driving it, or force charging through the gas pedal.

a new battery will sit for a long time, slowly losing chage until it reaches a critical state, where it is damaged by the low charge. that applies to both batteries.

about half way is fine for the hybrid battery, though higher is okay.
    the 12v likes to be near the top all the time, but short infrequent drives won't keep it there, because there is a constant drain on it when the car is off to keep some systems running.
    that's why you need the smart charger.

the hybrid battery is isolated by the main relay when the car is off. there isn't an outside drain, but they do slowly self discharge.
    the older the battery, and the poorer the state of health, the quicker it will reach a dangerous state and be damaged.
    you can judge for yourself by starting the car, and seeing where the battery icon level is. you may find that it needs frequent charging, or infrequent. i would check it regularly in the beginning, then slowly back off the frequency as you grow comfortable with what rate it is losing charge.
    a decent battery can go months without being charged

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The older the pack gets, the greater the difference of discharge rates between blocks. Once you get a block discharging significantly faster than the other blocks you get the red triangle.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just watching the mfd will tell you alot about how happy the hybrid battery is.

Is the battery going into no blue bars at a stoplight or a drive through. Ho fast do the blue bars decay at a light or drive thru?

And more importantly how far in the drive does it take to make the battery go from a purple bar into one or 2 blue bars? And yes a nice 30 minute drive is what it takes to keep the hybrid battery happy its now almost 15 years old. That's really old for any battery.

Btw, its at the most sweet spot for a recharging using a hybrid battery re charger like a Hybrid Auto recharger. You will then get another few years out of that battery as there's probably still some meat on its bones.

Its good to keep it alive for a few more years as new battery systems appear all the time like the lithium pack and get cheaper all the time.

10. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OK.

Lets say i do the stop and park coffee trips along with the 30 minute drive weekly. Is that enough or does the car need to be driven even more than 30 minutes per week esp in cold weather. below freezing.

11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So little information provided on the age, mileage and prior use of your two Prius’s it is very hard to be specific.

Generally the more you drive the better, the less you drive, the worse. Easy to keep 12v charged while sitting even with a battery tender solar charger. HV battery wants to be used.

If you don’t need two Prius’s why keep the one you favor least? Sell it now into a seller’s market, bank the money, use the better one and enjoy the ride.

12. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Well the second car was like $3500 and it was very well kept although high mileage and has all the bells and whistles (special rear view mirror, 6 cd changer, JBL speakers) I figured its a good spare. I did think a better spare would be an old lexus or something tbh but I already like Gen2 prius so I figured why not?

THE WORST is being in a position where you have to shop for a car without a car....like how much is that worth of your time and car rental costs etc??? Usually I just buy the first car i actually see because I'm like I can't stand not having a car. At least now, should something go wrong with Car A ...Car B is at the ready. BTW: both have around 250K miles but are both well maintained.

just getting a CHANCE to see a good deal on a used car is hellish. You really don't even have ONE day more like ONE hour. When I bought Car A...it had been listed for less than 2 hours and I was the first who went to look at it midday weekday (I had to CONVINCE the seller to drive the car to my house with the promise i was a serious buyer as he had already received tentative offers). Others also made appts for after work etc.

Even when i test drove Car A the seller sitting next to me was getting loads of texts (some even offering more than his asking....he sold it to me because my butt was in the seat otherwise he could have just held out for more). I even said "look I am paying you full-price what you asked...theres a risk the others wont pay you the more that theyve promised you". so yeah in the low sub $5K car market to find a diamond in the rough is very hard, to actually have the opportunity to be the buyer is even harder.

And Car A looked truly spotless (like ridiculously so), I mean I was confused about how CLEAN it was for a roughly 250K mileage car. I asked him if he just got it detailed and he said no his wife just keeps her car very clean (also taking her car the dealer for stuff like changing the bulbs). Now its a mess full of German Shepherd doghair and mild scratches etc. but NO problems at all other than changing oil lightbulbs the past full year with around 20,000 miles or whatever.

#12 priuslyfe, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  13. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That fills in the gaps.

It’s hard to sell a Prius with over 250k miles no matter how great it is. The uninformed prospective buyers never believe it can be in good repair. Also as you may notice on this forum a lot of other people bash them too as being risky with expected major repair items ready to manifest themselves. A well maintained Prius can last 500k miles although probably more likely 300k or so.

Sounds like one of yours is the dog car and the other one is the people car. That locks you into the situation you’re in.

If you let your dog roam into the nice car it likely will no longer be nice or a bear to clean.

The less you drive the dog car the less likely it will last longer or as long as the people car. Ironically that’s the way Prius’s work.

Insurance costs also factor in significantly to total cost of ownership. And if you don’t insure it someone will steal or total it, Murphy’s Law.

One thirty minute trip a week may be enough but make sure you change oil not based on miles alone. I’ve left mine for nearly a week unused occasionally but alway did it with dread.

14. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't want to buy another Prius but it kind of fell into my lap. I actually wanted a Toyota pickup (a older cheaper one). Those are basically impossible to find a deal on. When I bought Prius A, I told myself if it lasts a year for $3500 and not having to car shop it'll be worth it. Its been a year and so far so good. Not to mention it'll never be worth ZERO. It'll have some resale value whether or not it runs. And actually I've used Prius A like a pickup truck. Stuck a sofa in the back and drove it home with the hatch wide open.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have two nice cars, i would do what it takes to keep them that way until you find another.

it may be inconvenient, but worthwhile

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    30 mins may be enough but dont know how cold its getting up there. Lots of g2 prius owners over the years put sheets of cardboard in front of the condenser to keep the engine warm in the winter. Living in Fla I have never never seen it that cold here but maybe soon lol...but looks like a bad winter this year. Not a bad idea to have a block heater also if you live in the tundra.

Its a good idea to get a scan gauge type obd code reader that reads out the engine temp since a G2 has no engine temp gauge which is madness. Scan gauge which is now Xgauge is a very handy thing to own. Pulls hybrid codes and temps and mounts nicely over the steering wheel. Works in all cars....I've used mine numerous times.

priuslyfe likes this.
  17. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

thanks will do. will add to my list of stuff to buy on black friday.

edthefox5 likes this.