1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick - should I get this car? Manufacturer buy back...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystical ice, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical ice

Mystical ice New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi
    I have the opportunity to purchase a loaded 2012 Prius with 17k miles for just over $18k, which I believe is a great deal

The only caveat is the car was a manufacture buy back. According to the seller it was bought back for "excessive engine noise", but after Toyota did the inspection they found nothing wrong so re sold it.

I that anything I should be concerned about? Apparently it's under factory warranty but if I have to bring it in, will I have any warranty problems? When I want to extend the factory warranty in a few years, will I have any problems? Help me out here

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the help

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a great buy and you should not be concerned that the vehicle was a buyback. I am surprised that Toyota bought the car back other than for positive feedback for consumer relations. I figure the prior owner never owned a hybrid and/or a vehicle with a CVT. As long as you are satisfied with the noise levels, you should welcome this car to your family. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Mystical ice

Mystical ice New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One more question - will it affect resale value? Car fax showed alerts right away.
    Doesn't affect warranty at all though right?

I'm torn because I have the ability to buy the same car but without navigation, same price, and 4,000 miles more, but with a regular factory warranty. That car is a lease vehicle that Hertz is selling. I'm a little hesitant to purchase a vehicle that was a rental car too so I don't know

4. Mystical ice

Mystical ice New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also the car was bought back at 17,000 miles. Since the buy back only a few hundred miles have been put on the car, so I would be the first owner since the buy back.

5. Onex Prius

Onex Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The car still under factory warranty, to be sure you can call Toyota customer service to confirm.

The resale value will be affect when you want to sell it for sure. The title will be branded, and carfax will show everything.

There might be something else hidden, ask the seller to show you the buy back paperworks to look for hint. You can always check the service record to see what been repaired from the previous owner complaints. There must be plenty to initial the buyback process. From my experience, the engine noise alone is not safety concern and not enough for the lemon law lawyer to take the case.

One thing to consider the process of buy back will take place about 6 months to complete, so the previous owner will have 6 months riding free and abuse the car before Toyota take position. Toyota will contract with a third company to do the buyback process, and send it to auction.

What's the trim level of your loaded Prius? I just got mine 2012 Prius pkg 5 with Advan Tech, shine 10K miles for $23K. Your price doesn't sound good to me.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what state do you live in Mystical

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's no secret that you'd be taking a chance with this deal. As Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky, today?"

It will depend on whether you are hard up for money or have plenty of extra money.

If you are hard up on money, you might not be able to afford the potential repair bills, if you are unlucky.

If you had plenty of extra money, it would be fine. Then, you would have been able to buy a pristine NEW car, anyway.

The true test is whether Toyota has any confidence in this car. Will they sell you a Toyota Extended Factory Warranty?

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't see where Toyota would buy a car back just for engine noise. Wouldn't you think that there are a lot of steps to get a car bought back? If it did go all the way back to Toyota do you really think it could be "nothing" wrong and just resell it? I would feel better if they said it didn't get such and such insulation or basic sound dampening that they put in on the assembly line so that was put in.

11. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bear in mind that the Hertz Prius is probably the fleet sales only Prius One. It may lack a number of other features that you otherwise may be expecting.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If a Deal is to good to be true you should take pass on it. To save a Few grand may be more problems than it is worth.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are hesitant on getting any used car, buy a NEW one. To me, it is worth the few thousand dollars more.

Remember the old cliché about being penny wise and pound foolish.

sdtundra and JMD like this.
  14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rental cars all have one thing in common. Renters trash them big time

15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let this be your guiding light

image.jpg

16. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Read about startup knock on the forum. That's probably the engine noise. Get the car overnight, let it cool off, start it and turn it off after the ICE starts & before it warms up, return a few hours later & restart the car listening for heavy engine knocking.

This is a feature of the car and unless it's always present, I wouldn't be worried.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  17. glm38

glm38 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't found that to be the case. Our current Prius was not a rental. But our prior car was. 2002 dodge intrepid we bought in 2003 that was a fleet rental with 19 k on it. It looked brand new and we had no problems at all with it. Its in fact still in the family and going strong with 150 k. Our car prior to that was a fleet rental Geo prism that was a good car as well.

18. KennewickMan

KennewickMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Washington state.......................

19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    More likely the exception than the rule. I know someone who worked at Enterprise and the horrific stories

20. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would buy it with confidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.