1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick - What's your MPG read right now?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vintagebob, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook Aussie Expat Abroad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am averaging between 50mpg and 54mpg and now that I am getting more used to feathering the throttle, ie speeding up a bit on inclines, sharply lifting off just before I approach declines, while also being very ( gentle with the throttle ) linear as I move away from traffic lights, from standstill. Adjusting my driver behaviour, has really improved mpg.

Photo taken earlier today.
    [​IMG]

I am pretty happy so far, attaining 50.5mpg with commiserate ease and hope to improve upon that figure, hitting high 50's ( around 3.9 - 4.1 litres per 100km ) in the near future. Not bad for a 5.5 year , low mileage Gen II Prius, ( 53K miles/86,000km ) in excellent mechanical/electrical state..:rockon:

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine was at 52.2 mpg displayed when I pulled in the parking lot this morning. That would make 48.9 mpg calculated. That is with about 130 miles so far on this tank. It was raining this morning so that dropped it slightly.

3. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My display is at 60.2 MPG and I am about 680 miles into this tank and will be filling up today or tomorrow.

4. joeyd08

joeyd08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How in the world do you do that? I am very new to this but as hard as I try with all the hills in my driving ...50mpg seems like it might be my best goal. If I can get a 500 mile tank I'll be happy! How do you get 200 miles better on a tank. I would need to drive very slow and climb the hills at a crawl.

EDIT: I see now you're a Gen III so maybe that explains it. I understand the mileage is better and do the tanks hold a bit more as well??

5. DBaum

DBaum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    My 2010 is at 55.0
    My GF's 2009 is at 54.9

6. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive an 09 Gen II

Filled the tank today (more like topped off - its a new month)
    4.76 gal, 309 mi. (64.9 MPG) Dash display: 70.8 MPG.

I've been getting around 65-70 MPG for the past month or so with warmer temps.

When I bought the car a year ago, I was getting 50-55 MPG.

The difference was break in, of course, but also the fact that I use Pulse and Glide now.
    I used to drive like Granny too - creeping up hills, etc. It is actually better to accelerate briskly, since you spend overall less time accelerating.

Using the principle of ONLY using the ICE for acceleration at low speeds (below 45 or so) and gliding whenever possible (lightest possible tough on accelerator to get "no arrows state" made 10 MPG difference for me, easily. I even drive pretty much (overall) at the flow of traffic now, too.

Don't know if that is your issue, but it is certainly possible to do well with a Gen II

7. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know the size of a Gen II tank but the Gen II is 11.9 gallons. I top off to get the maximum miles per tank. This will either be my best tank of 2nd best. I don't consider myself an "official" hypermiler but I do try to use the techniques I've learned from this site. What helped this tank was the first 100 miles was on 55 MPH highway and the next 100 miles was on a 70 MPH freeway but traffic was very light and 3 or 4 lanes so I kept it around 60 MPH in the slow lane. I also didn't use cruise so I could work the hills to maximize the MPG. Warm weather has helped too. Keep reading on this site and you too will learn how to drive for MPG. I'm learning to use Pulse & Glide. BTW, at the best point on this tank, the display was at 63.5 MPG. I believe some have recorded 70 MPG tanks, actual, not by the car.

8. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This morning 51.9, with 2 pips left, will get gas on the way home.
    Original tires are about gone, getting Hydroedge possibly this weekend or next week, on order.
    Running synthetic oil, 42 front 40 rear tire pressure.

Personal best was 56!
    Winter worst........42

9. Tomel51

Tomel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I've really got to be doing something wrong. My 2009 has 15,693 miles on it and my average mileage since the day I purchased it new has been 41.0 mpg (actually measured and calculated - not based on the MFD). The current reading on the MFD shows 40.5 mpg.

My regular driving conditions 95% of the time are as follows:

o Suburban driving - busy, but not bumper to bumper. Stoplights every mile or so, a few small hills
    o Typical speed 35-45 mph
    o Typical trip length between stops - 10 to 15 minutes

The only times I've gotten better than the low 40's were as follows:

o 1,800 mile round trip at speeds averaging around 65 mph - got 48 mpg

o 220 mile round trip at speeds averaging around 55 mph - got 52 mpg

I've read the posts on getting good mileage and, while I am not a hypermiler, I do try to be conservative in my driving style (e.g., no jack-rabbit starts, try to time lights where possible, etc.).

Why am I getting low 40's when most of the posters to this thread seem to be getting low 50's (or is the response to the thread distorted, where the people getting good mileage are the only ones posting, with the lower mileage people embarrassed to post their results?).

10. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't mind telling you I average 41 or 42 mpg. I'm not a hypermiler either. I use cruise control every chance I get and have been known to sit at a destination with the ac blowing while I listen to the end of some interview on NPR. I'm happy with that.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suggest you fill out the gas mileage questionair as a new thread and it will probably illicit more responses.

But off the top of my head, the 10-15 minute trips seems like your issue. You may benefit from an engine block heater to get the car in power saving stages sooner. When the car first starts and the engine turns on in burns a lot of gas to warm the engine up quickly (richer mix than usual). This is for emmissions not for fuel economy. So you need more driving at high MPG to cancel out the crap at the beginning.

12. FuelCell

FuelCell New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is only for Gen II Priuses, but: 59.2miles/kilogram

13. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This shows that your car *can* achieve 50+ mpg without special driving techniques.

To improve on that, do as 2k1Toaster suggested, fill out the questionnaire at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html . This can help others analyze your particular situation.

I'm sure you're correct: there is likely some distortion of the posted data, but often drivers post numbers in the ~30 mpgs (expressing dissatisfaction.) If you check out Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG or Fuel Economy Data for Hybrid Cars you will see a fair spectrum.

It's easy to overthink your driving. Sometimes the answer(s) are simple. As 2k1Toaster suggested, short trips can be mileage killers because the ICE does not fully warm up. In addition, check your tires' air pressure and increase them a couple psi. Also, check your engine oil level. You do not want it overfilled.

Beyond those things, the answers to the questionnaire can reveal other areas for improvement.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Current tank average: 60 miles/kg of hydrogen

(1 kg of hydrogen = 1.1 gallons of gasoline)

Hi Fuel Cell. Just wondering what you're currently paying per kg of Hydrogen?

15. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    334 miles

35 mile commute

Randall

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    4.3 l/100 km. Best tank was 4.1 l/100 km a few weeks ago. Winters coming. Fuel will be burned!

17. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    38 point something....about 200 miles. Punched it going 85mph with AC cranked from OC to Sacramento. Wasn't my most efficient trip ;)

18. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not sure how many miles it's been, but I've been at exactly 46 for a while now. It'll go up or down by like .1, but that's about it.

19. Crazyhorse6901

Crazyhorse6901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still on the first dealership tank...The MPG is low due to the short distance traveled to work daily.

20. russg

russg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    46.1 mpg, 245 miles