1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick - What's your MPG read right now?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vintagebob, Jun 25, 2004.

1. priusfanmh

priusfanmh Guest

OK, with my classic 2002 - currently the MFD is reporting 55.9 UK MPG after 380 miles - 3 bars left - should be refuelling around the 520 mile mark and should get about 51 or 52 calculated MPG at the pump - usually about a 10 gallon refuel.

2. cor_van_de_water

cor_van_de_water New Member

Error in spreadsheet?

I think this is an historic price per gallon - I am afraid there is a slight error in the calculation. $0.34 per gallon would not make the Prius so popular ;-)

3. cor_van_de_water

Classic MPG - finally hit the 50 MPG mark

That is a great accomplishment for a classic Prius. I guess you drive like you had an electric car and also avoid many short trips, because that really ruins the average. I just got back from a 30 miles trip with moderate highway driving and some city/airport and finally managed to end up above 50 MPG - the last two short trips pushed me down from almost 50 to below 49. The console now reads: 50.4 MPG 147 miles.

I did not think I would reach that number, but I can see that I drive differently on the freeway than I did without an MPG meter in the corner of my eye. Prius does really change your driving habits, if you are willing to learn.

(For the short trips i try to use the bicycle as much as possible - is healtier too, when you pay attention to the cars around you!)

Kind regards,

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

my 2k3 Prius is doing 53.3 miles per gallon for the last 3,400 miles.
    the wifes 2K4 is currently doing 57.2 miles per gallon as of 74 miles this tank.
    Imperial gallons
    converted to US gallons
    2k3=44.3
    2k4= 48.0

5. cor_van_de_water

Classic Mileage

Frank,
    That explains a lot of the difference.
    My 02 Prius is doing 49 miles per US gallon. In the rest of the world that is 4.8 liter per 100 KM. There are cars with better mileage, usually Diesel that can run lower than 3 liter per 100 KM (72 MPG) - I recall the VW Lupo.
    But I think that Prius has the cleanest car wrt emissions.

6. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    :naughty: :naughty:

7. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

I think I've chimed in on this one before but....

....right now 55.4MPG

I live in DC. The weather has been 70s in the morning and in the high 80s in the afternoon since i started this tank.

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

Re: I think I've chimed in on this one before but....

Yes, this car loves this weather we're having here in the DC Metro area! I'm at 57.5 MPG, but I just filled yesterday - my last tank though was a nice 559 miles at 53.5 MPG. It's so nice only filling up just a few times a month! :)

-m.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    58.8 MPG at 238 Tank Miles. 8 Bars showing on the Fuel Gauge.

10. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You must have been running on fumes when you last filled up! How many gallons did it take?

Randy

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

Nah, wasn't too worried - except it was 72 miles past the last bar blinking. However, previous tank I was able to fill 11.1 gallons. This time however, I only got in 10.5 gallons. I think the last 5 or 6 tank fulls have all been between 10 and 11 gallons, if not over 11 gallons. Now, if I wasn't just doing my normal drive to-and-from work, I probably would've filled 20 or so miles earlier, just out of fear. :)

-m.

12. jrawles

jrawles New Member

I'm getting ~50 mpg driving 65 mph. I was getting ~45 mpg driving 80 mph. Can we work on some real world data for average speed vs MPG?

-J. Rawles

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

jrawles,

Usually the highest speed I'll get to on my normal driving route (aka work) is 62(mph), and during the week I average around 55MPG. Of course, our big problem is the amount of variables that can fall here - distance being the biggest one. During the week my trip to work is 30 miles one way. On my weekend trips that are much shorter driving distances, I average closer to 49 or 50MPG, regardless of what speed I'm driving.

-m.

14. Oxygene

Oxygene New Member

139 miles/47.8 mpg
    '04 Prius, approx. 10K total miles

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well im heading for a record if i can keep it up... but its early yet...

so far 81.3 miles 57.3 mpg

best tank 452.3 miles 53.7
    lifetime avg 51.6 mpg
    last 3 tanks 52.8 mpg

special cases
    409.8 miles 44.7 mpg (about ½ tank delivering morning paper)

363.7 miles 46.6 mpg (mountain pass driving, and one of only 3 tanks that averaged below 50 mpg)

all mileage figures are per computer... actual mileage by volume of gas filled up isnt very consistant. mileage by that measure lifetime average is 1.3 mpg lower and i suspect that its due to inaccuracies of gas station pumps... although i still track it, i dont take much stock in the figures...

another thing i track is cost per mile and have recently gone below 4 cents per mile. last tank was 3.51 cents/mile

i also tracked cost in my truck and was averaging 13 cents/mile... now granted, gas was more expensive for the most part... but it wasnt that much more... also my most expensive tank of gas in the Prius was just 4.6 cents and that was memorial day week when gas was around $2.25 a gallon

oh... anyone know of someone looking for a 1991 Ford F-150 pickup... runs good... dual tanks, 5 speed manual...

16. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    55.5 mpg @ 535 miles on the tank. Just got my 56MPG license plates.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    update on my tank

395.7 miles 53.8 mpg...

short trips are killing my mileage. dont commute far enough. my mileage will go back up again during my days off, since i frequently take trips to the seattle area or Bremerton both of which are about 60 miles.

18. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

OK very happy last time I filled up was 7/14 .I filled up today . 505 miles on this tank it took 9.89 gallons thats over 51(maybe alittle over) MPG..Very cool I don't think I ever went 505 miles on a tank...Oh I filled it when it got to one bar left :)

19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    55.5 mpg, 360 miles

Sounds like a good idea, but there are a lot of variables to consider like traffic and wind. I know I have a heck of a time trying to duplicate a commute. 52 miles each way. Country roads, open interstate, stop and go, urban streets. Then return.

My observations after 4 1/2 months and 13,000 miles:

Don't go over 65, mpg drops. If I keep it at 65 or less on the interstates and country roads, I get 53-54 mpg. 75 drops me to 48-50. I went 85 once for a 5 mile stretch and the 5 mile average looked about 30-35.

I would like to try a tankful at 55 mph, but I'd get run off the interstate.

20. cybele

cybele New Member

I'm at 49.8 right now. I really wanted to hit 50 today. It was at 50 yesterday.

The most heartening thing I can add is that my bladder problems seem to have disappeared.

I got almost ten gallons in the tank on Sunday - my range was a little over 400 miles. My mileage was a sucky 43.9, but I blame that on the short commute lately.

Yesterday I did lots of driving (70 miles around town on some unpleasant errands) but was blessed with good mileage.

I'm at 4,500 miles and 7 months of ownership, so for anyone who's still struggling with the bladder issues, it will get better after break-in.