1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

R-134a Auto A/C Refrigerant Inject Oil/No oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by howardc64, May 13, 2021.

1. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have a follow up question on DIY AC repair oil removal and injection.

A. 2011 Prius AC system leaked at the o-rings at the firewall. dirt accumulated on the oily residue on the pipes. Therefore, unknown oil quantity in the system.

B. 2012 Prius AC condenser damaged and system is emptied. Unknown oil quantity in the system.

Have cheap vacuum pump, cheap AC charging manifold/gauge, pure R134A cans, ND11 oil, oil injector. I'm guessing vacuum pump probably doesn't remove any oil (used it in A above, saw no evidence of oil around vacuum pump post use)

What do you suggest? Inject no oil? inject some oil?

How do the pros completely remove oil when the system has emptied from damage? Repair the damage, fill R134A, pull R134A out again to remove all of the system's oil? If complete oil removal is not possible, then how do the pros determine how much oil is in a previous damaged and leaked system?

#1 howardc64, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

We do not remove all of the oil for minor operations in minor parts replacement.

Something like a condenser that had minor damage and it was just being removed it’s just a part replacement

Are when you buy a factory Toyota DENSO condenser usually comes with a little bag with brand new O-rings and a small metal can of ND 11 oil just enough for the condenser replacement for the oil that would have been lost in the first place.

If somebody is purchasing a cheap aftermarket condenser then you’re screwed glued and tattooed up the river without a paddle. You get nothing and you’re on your own.

The small metal can of ND 11 oil that came with the new DENSO condenser contains 40 mL of replacement oil which is roughly the quantity they suspect being lost just by replacing the condenser all by itself the O-rings you would have to source yourself when purchasing a non-OEM condenser

Now let’s get onto a major repair like a burnt out compressor that literally came apart in pieces with metal flake that litter the system and dark burn oil .
    Sometimes when looking in the site glass you’ll see it’s not perfectly crystal clear and bright shiny aluminum . There will be a slight haze or film buildup on the inside of the glass and on the metal will be slightly dolled compared to a brand new line that is clean.

This is a clear indicator the compressor was ran low on refrigerant and extremely overheated and was low on oil prior to burning out.

Case you would also be replacing the expansion valve and at that time the expansion valve is removed you would be using your AC solvent flush to manually blow through the evaporator to clean it out and all your hoses and lines prior to replacing the brand new compressor and the brand new condenser and the brand new expansion valve.

Now you have a clean dry system with no oil in it and you’re starting from ground zero.

Now when you buy a brand new Toyota manufactured from DENSO manufacturing electric compressor unless otherwise specified by some documentation they sometimes have the complete for oil charge for a whole brand new system contained within them but you have to read the documentation. RTFM !!!...

3. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah thanks. Very helpful. So sounds like common practice is

- Basically assume oil stays in the system except for removed components.
    - Inject only amount of oil that relates to replaced component. As you noted, I've read OEM compressors comes with oil within.

Rather interesting and would seem quite challenging to get precise to system spec. Sounds like reality is will be an approximation at best?

4. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Approximation gets better with years of experience when you were taught by somebody who already had 30 or 40 years experience when you come into the industry young.

It doesn’t matter how many years experience somebody has if they’ve been doing it wrong their whole entire life and just guessing.

After you have taken apart they are conditioning systems on several thousand vehicles and you literally measure the amount of oil on every vehicle you pour out of the compressor.
    You measure the amount of oil that you get out of a accumulator
    You measure the amount of oil you get out of a receiver dryer
    You measure the amount of oil you get out of a evaporator

Can you see the difference where is the oil gets stuck and ends up at on a system that was ran low on oil compared to a system that had 100% of the factory charge operating normally there is a very big difference where the oil ends up

This is why the guys sometimes we do not maintenance the air conditioning by doing preventative maintenance periodic drain and recharge but they allow their system to run Low or run out of refrigerant and then the compressor burns up.

From the day every air conditioning system was manufactured on a car and charged it starts to leak from that day forward they are all very very very small leak in many places but they get worse as the years go by with expansion and contraction by heat in vibrating by driving down the road.

And then you get every now and then that one lucky person who hasn’t charged air conditioning in 20 years and it still nearly full it sometimes happens

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here’s a video of a leaking O ring at the condenser with an oil stain.
    It may look like a lot of oil was lost to some people but that probably was not even a quarter ounce of oil that built up the dust accumulation and dirt.

And it’s also a very good photo is worth 1000 words no for those people who read books and only have a full knowledge that a low pressure sensor is supposed to protect your compressor from running when the refrigerant level is very low.

This next video shows locating the leak using electronic and refrigerant leak detector unfortunately using the bubble mess it did not work at this time and using the UV Trace dye did not work at this time but if it would have been allowed to run much longer for a few days and come back you would see a UV dye showing brightly.

6. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very cool :p and helpful.

On the 12 Prius, I did order a cheap condenser a couple of days ago (helping a friend and they didn't want to pay too much. Daughter has been trashing the car cosmetically like a bumper car haha) Will put 40mL ND11 in along with vacuum + refill with 16oz R134A. Car in pacific northwest so defrost moisture reduction is probably more important than cabin cooling. Anyhow, got your warning on cheap condensers.

On the 11 Prius I fixed a couple of years ago (lost 134A at o-ring at expansion valve at the firewall). Dash blows cold but compressor has a loud hum/whine when starting up but seems to go silent after awhile. I did inject 2oz of ND11 during the vacuum+refill and may not have full 16oz R134A in the system (some jetted out when I disconnected the gauge set). Any thought on what the hum might be? Perhaps not enough 134A to help circulate the oil?. But surely I'm over spec on oil with original 2+ oz + added 2 oz.

#6 howardc64, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  7. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

You might be a little over on the oil on some compressors that does cause some noise trying to compress a higher ratio of oil to refrigerant

Even my personal vehicle makes a little bit of noise on start up and then quiets out it gets turned on at 7 o’clock in the morning and does not get turned off until roughly 6 PM to 7 PM at night every day 5 to 6 days a week about 330 days a year since 2012

8. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced the condenser on the 12 Prius. Vacuumed system for 1/2 hour and confirmed vacuum held for another 1/2 hour. Injected 3/4-1oz of ND11 compat. Charged 16oz (450g) R134a (took awhile, sitting on top of engine with higher temps seems to help)

Sitting while parked on a sunny 75-80 day, I got the following results with AC LO + blower about 1/2 way. AC blows cold.

Capture3.PNG

However, the cabin still felt warm. Went for a 3 mile drive with windows closed. Not ice cold but quite comfortable for the front passengers. Clearly, having moving air over the condenser is a huge help. I guess Prius's radiator fan might be tuned for the engine temp rather than AC?

BTW, I've previously observed the electric water pump operation in techstream after replacement. Most of the time, it just turns on/off with ICE. I'd imagine radiator fan might be similar or even lazier?

Anyhow, just a note for others. Best to test AC charge with a test drive.

#8 howardc64, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Howard--I dont know about a G3 but the G2 ac when running well will freeze you out at a light. It requires a healthy hybrid battery though. My bought new in 07 G2 was freezing at lights for years no problem but ever so slightly over the many years it gets a little less cold.
    Even now with a fairly good leak it still is pretty cold in the garage but the second i go for a ride its cool not warm.
    Really good ac system in a G2.

Not a believer in the throw a can at it I agree with Lech . I'm taking it in tomorrow to a pretty reputable ac shop tomorrow. Ice Cold Air.
    Getting ready for a big $$$$ lol..

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am no expert on Gen3 A/C, but does the high side pressure seem low and the compressor RPM seem high for your ambient temperature? Some other cars won't activate the condensor fan unless the high side hits 200-225 psi or more.

Did you use a scale to weigh refrigerant when charging?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

That is for some other cars for that condenser to come on and there’s even the other cars were condenser fan does not come on until 270 psi

I believe the indoor ambient temperature sensor was still sensing in the high 70s or 80° meaning there would be a load over the evaporator so it’s struggling to meet the demand temperature so it winds the compressor up higher RPMs to meet demand.

Once the inside demand is down and it has satisfied the ambient temperature on the inside of the vehicle the low side pressure will drop more .
    Then there will be not much load on the evaporator the low side will bring down the temperature of the evaporator to once the sensor picks that up the RPMs on the compressor will go down

12. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, weighed on my postal scale that goes down to 0.1 oz. But certainly without professional equipment, not all of the weighted R134a went into the system. A little leak here and there and the final amount trapped inside hoses upon finish.

I tested 2 G3s (both AC repaired and filled by me, would have been nice to have one with original factory AC) and in general, testing AC while parked can bring compressor RPM up pretty high. Once driving around, compressor speed seems to go down (more silent) and AC gets colder. Best test is probably run techstream during drive. AC is definitely cold even at a stop during the drive. It just doesn't seem as cold testing while parked and not being driven. Say for example, testing in garage/driveway after R134a fill.

13. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An update comparing 2011 Gen3 (DIY repaired and filled AC) against a 2016 Gen4 (Factory filled AC). Compressor is identical according to part numbers so I reason system is similar enough to do a comparison.

Note this comparison is done without driving the car so no air flows over the condenser. I'd imagine all the condenser can do is radiate the heat passively against ambient for heat exchange. Definitely not the good way to run the AC. I believe this is NOT the same situation as parked at a stop light briefly while driving around. Probably need to stay at a stop for several minutes or longer to reach similar condition. Finally, plan to search techsteam to see if can activate the fan to get a more sensible test while parked.

The test is as follows

- Car parked and haven't driven for awhile. Similar cool ambient/cabin temp (60F) Test conducted in garage for Gen3, outside early evening for the Gen4 (sun has set)
    - techstream connected, car in ready mode, wait until engine stops (so I can hear the AC compressor)
    - set fan on lowest speed, recirc on. AC off initially.
    - switch AC on, monitor high side PSI and compressor RPM in techstream

Gen4

- Not sure engine ever came on (maybe briefly). techstream shows 80F coolant temp which suggest only on briefly.
    - Highside PSI was ~70 before turning AC on
    - Turned AC on, Compressor RPM goes up to 3k+ briefly, then settled back down to 2k and eventually to ~900 with short periods of cycling to 0 RPM.

Gen3

- engine came on longer than the Gen4. Higher 100F coolant temp matches expectation
    - Highside PSI was ~60 before turning AC on
    - Turned AC on, Compressor RPM jumps to 7k briefly, settled backed down to ~2k and steadily cycles between 0 and 2k. Seems to cycle between 2k and 0 faster than the Gen4. BTW, the 2k-0 cycling pattern seems similar test conditions during 85F weather this past weekend.
    - bubbles in sight glass

Differences

- Obviously some ECU differences on running the engine from cold.
    - Compressor RPM and cycling differences. But don't know the software program similarities between Gen3/4.
    - Gen3 might have slightly more than factory spec 2.5oz ND11 oil. Injected about 2oz during repair as the system emptied out of failed o-ring and nearby oily residue.

Question

- Would a few oz short on R134a (targeted 16oz fill (weight measured on fine scale) but probably lost a little due to imperfection of DIY equipment) and/or ~2oz over fill of ND11 cause the compressor RPM differences?

- Service manual says if bubble insight glass when AC is on, refrigerant too low. But then it also said avoid filling by sight glass. Fill by refrigerant weight. Unfortunately for DIYer who can not evacuate a filled system, can't really have a 2nd try at fill by weight.

- If ND11 is too high, do pros have equipment to remove all the R134a and oil from the system?

Gen3.PNG Gen4.PNG

#13 howardc64, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
  14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @edthefox,

Fill us in brother!! How did the visit go for AC repair?

Seems like your situation would have been ideal (just my opinion) for following the Toyo manual procedure based on the symptoms you describe about how AC currently worked and the fluid appearance. I know it's not the 'perfect way to do it', but personally, I would have just gotten a 12 ounce can of R134a for $6, performed a 'slow add' until the bubbles went away and then add ~100g additional to get it into the sweet spot of the pressure/temperature curve. BUT, I completely understand letting an AC shop handle it. Sometimes things are more involved than they appear. I'm just very curious as to what they found or what they say they did to resolve your symptoms and at what approximate cost. And do you feel they did you right, because I haven't found a shop yet (other than for tires), auto repair or "home residential", that hasn't tried to put the screw to me.

15. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got a comparison with a 2012 Prius 50k miles and AC never touched since factory. Here is summary of the results

Test pattern

- Engine cold. Start the car, let engine run until stop
    - Both front doors open per Prius service manual
    - techstream run1 : Turn on AC to LO and HVAC fan to max setting
    - techstream run2 : Turn on AC to LO and HVAC fan to min setting

Cars

2016 Prius 40k miles (AC not serviced since factory)
    2012 Prius 50k miles (AC not serviced since factory)
    2011 Prius 110k miles (AC leaked, o-ring replaced, vacuumed, 2+ oz ND11 compat oil, charged to 16oz)
    AC blows cold in all these cars

Techstream Graphs

2011 Prius Run1

2011 Prius AC LO Fan Max.PNG

2011 Prius Run2

2011 Prius.PNG

2012 Prius Run1

2012 Prius AC LO FAN Max.PNG

2012 Prius Run2

2012 Prius.PNG

2016 Prius Run1

2016 Prius AC LO Fan Max.PNG

2016 Prius Run2

2016 Prius.PNG

Sight Glass

After some experience with looking at the sight glass bubbles. Higher AC output (AC LO, FAN MAX) is Factory Service Manual's suggest setting to observe the bubbles. When the 2011 Prius was clear on the max setting, lower AC output (AC LO, FAN lowest) still had bubbles.

2011 Prius

This was on AC LO FAN MIN (compressor cycling on/off)

2012 Prius

This was AC compressor running continuously. I don't recall the setting but likely AC LO, FAN at least mid to max.

2016 Prius has no sight glass.

Observations

Radiator fan on/off tracks compressor on/off
    Coolant temperature directly proportional to AC compressor speed

Conclusion

2011 with AC service is pretty close the 2012 factory AC. Added 2.5oz, sight class no bubbles at AC LO Fan MAX.

Serviced 2 Prius's AC system. Both compressor seems slightly whinyer at high RPMs than the stock system. Perhaps the most likely culprit is AC Pro ND11 compat oil is not quite compat. Thread here suggest used ND11 might be more viscous than AC Pro ND11 compat. Toyota charges crazy prices for ND11 which then drives many DIYers to go aftermarket.

#15 howardc64, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The worst news ever and exactly what I expected. Leaky ecoil under the dash. Was hoping it was not that so that doubled the chances of it being that lol. $1024 to replace the eoil box and expansion valve. Seems cheap to me....

I'm afraid to look up the cost of that ecoil box. Thought it would be more for that repair the R&R is horrible. Said they just did another G2 same issue 2 days ago so guess its just its age. Brought it in before the compressor grenaded itself. Thanks to Lech I looked at the sight glass and saw lots of micro size bubbles flowing through the sight glass super fast. Did not turn on the ac from that point on.

My wife loves the car will not give it up or else I would have sold it.

I talked to the owner and asked if it would be more than a day could he please put my car inside and he stopped me and said cat right?
    yes... Wow....He told me some horror story about a Toyota dealership last week got hit for 60 cats overnight. I said 60 he says 60! lol...

And says other car shops report of many many cat hits. Crap i thought since I have not got clipped it was not too bad. Its bad.

17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mmm What is an eoil box? And/or ecoil box???
    Is that some specific to the Prius?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Evaporator coil.

Assuming the "box" is the whole HVAC enclosure, though I think one would normally just replace the coil, unless something else is also wrong.