1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

R.I.P Toyota Entune

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by followingalex, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it really is. It's a big part of it, and it's a growing part.

2. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My problem with going full Android Auto in any of my cars is that I don't have unlimited data so if I use the map feature extensively, it'll cost me. I just wish their integrated nav wasn't total crap.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've posted before, but the integrated nav is, in my opinion, better than Google Maps in some ways. The destination entering is terrible and the map updates are a cruel joke, but once you have a destination set, it's actually very, very good in my experience.

Nic Steussy, heiwa and CraigCSJ like this.
  4. Travis64

Travis64 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No1 got this car for entune we were all wondering why no apple and andriod

Ascegan and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still wondering...

6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doesn’t Google Maps enable you to download maps in advance while on WiFi? Doing that reduces cellular usage to nil. GPS usage doesn’t count against your data plans. Downloading does require a minimal amount of planning however.
    J

Trollbait likes this.
  7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but I can never get that feature to actually work. I download the maps, it says it has them, but if I lose connection, the maps aren't available.

8. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Works well for me. I’m using iPhone.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does your phone have an actual GPS antenna, or just triangulating off cell towers?
    If the later, having the map on the phone isn't going to be very helpful when the connection is lost.

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of course it does.

11. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How? Why do you think Cook was criticizing Zuckerberg and why is Congress raking Google, Facebook, and Twitter over the coals on privacy and not Apple?

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A lot of people like Apple, and thus either close their eyes or foolishly believe everything that evil company does is good, so they can keep getting more over-priced, under-good Crapple that breaks every industry standard and keeps them locked to a single-source.

13. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Apple doesn't make money on advertising and thus doesn't pimp your private information to third party vendors. I've yet to have a problem attributable to your standards breaking criticism. Security is so much better on the Apple platform, and that's important to me.

#53 MikeDee, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  14. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Surely you're not serious? The integrated nav is vastly inferior in every way and is getting more and more inferior as Google Maps improves all the time.

You already know that programming in destinations and mapping is terrible. Navigation is also terrible. Just try driving in LA and you'll realize it has no idea about the best routes due to traffic, has no idea about accidents or incidents on your route. And God forbid you have to change up your route just a bit, you're going to have to pull off the freeway and spend a good 5 minutes programming that in. Android? Just speak your plans and it will reroute!! "hey Google, take me to a gas station" badabing-badaboom.

I really find it unbelievable that you could even say that it is in any way better than Google maps.

15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The on board nav does have traffic, but I don't know if it uses this information to determine a route.

I think if say you miss a turn, that the rerouting of the on board nav doesn't work that well. Happened to me once and I remember it took me on a crazy reroute. Anyone else have experience with this?

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I’ve always found the Toyota NAV to be a solid “OK”... the interface and large screen (compared to a phone) is nice, and the direction are generally good to get me wherever I need to go (mostly in a metropolitan area - Toronto). I have never really noticed any outright “bad directions”, though of course the maps are ridiculously expensive (and my car is still running 2013 maps). The main weakness for me is the traffic awareness is very poor and limited if you subscribe to this (compared to Google/Waze/etc), but if you are someone who doesn’t regularly drive in congested areas, this may not be a big deal. I don’t subscribe to the XM Traffic, but on the occasional weekend or whatever when it is open, I find it interesting and test it out, but not nearly as good as Waze, which I rely on most of the time. The XM traffic is limited to highways in major areas, which is pretty weak.

One thing I will never understand is why Toyota crippled what was decent voice controls on my 2006 (5th Gen Nav), to the 6th Gen on my 2014. Most of the voice commands are gone, I used to change views to jump to a view of my destination area, if I am looking for a coffee shop or something. Those commands are gone for some reason. (?)

Anyway, I use Waze on my iPhone religiously, and usually double-program the destination in the Toyota system as well, with the latter set to a higher view with turn directions coming from Waze.

Two clear advantages of the Toyota system over Waze though, are number of waypoints and long distance travel. Waze only allows 1 waypoint (which is buggy, IMO) vs Toyota with 4 (plus destination, total 5), and a max trip of 1000 miles on Waze. This was a problem earlier this year when I did a 1400 mile trip to Florida, had to put a destination as a mid-way point on Waze. Minor issue, but still.

So, I generally rely on Waze for the amazing traffic and incident awareness, but I also make use of the factory Nav too. Now, if only they would add CarPlay to the Prime, I would be all set. :whistle:

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm completely serious.

Everywhere I've driven in 10 states, including LA and San Diego, the NAV was essentially perfect. Difficult to program, but perfect once programmed.

I asked Google for rest stops on a long trip, and it never found a single one. The in-car Nav found them all and in-order "along my route". Nice.

On a trip in Kansas City, Google Maps told me to turn onto the highway about 60 feet after I had passed the entrance, leading me on a difficult route to turn around and get back on the right road. On the same road, the in-car nav told me to turn at the correct location. In fact, the in-car nav has never misled me once, while Google has a couple of times. Another time was when I was inside a huge multi-level parking garage at night and couldn't figure out which way out was the correct way out to get to my chosen route home. Google Maps was useless because of no GPS signal inside the garage. The in-car nav was perfect because it can also use dead reckoning, which it did successfully to lead me to the correct exit. A third time was in the eclipse traffic when the cell network in Wyoming was overwhelmed and I couldn't get a connection for about 7 hours. The in-car nav worked perfectly.

Nic Steussy, heiwa and Sarge like this.
  18. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have experienced the on board navigation system in my Prime to change my route due to a ramp closure ahead. It saved me a lot of time.

Nic Steussy likes this.
  19. RomanCro

RomanCro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think you are not right about "they have your money argument".
    Its like saying you bought the car, so who cares if it brakes down in 5y, you alredy give them money.
    Caring about car, services, multimedia, is investing in FUTURE money you will giv them. If you ar not setisfied with car play, maybe you wont buy nexy toyota, and your friends also. Toyita make its brand id car liability after gsrantee period. So i think they are more on the point of-lets care about are sold cars, then-what can they do, we have thair money allready.

SM-G950F ?

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the 6.1" Display Audio or the 7" HDD nav? The 7" HDD nav should be the same as your 2006. For the 2012-2014/2015 years, there was an outsourced 6.1" Display Audio w/ navigation version that was... weird.