1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rabbi Sues, Christmas Trees Removed from Airport.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 11, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 11 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]360426[/snapback]</div>
    Defense? Everyone else is having a civil discussion here, and you come in trying to stir up trouble - you weren't "defending" anything. instead, you were rather offensive.

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey now, guys, let's not fight. After all, the "War On Christmas" ended last year. Seriously though, Mystery Squid, at first you just seemed confused and misinformed, but after your last, really confusing and self-contradictory post I'm starting to think that you're just being intentionally obtuse.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]360435[/snapback]</div>
    Rabbi being a "hardcore symbol of the Jews" - hmmm. Again I will let that stand on its own [lack] of merit.

"Pretty impressive for 2% of the population" - hmmm. No words be spoken here either.

And am I all of a sudden the Jews representative in your eyes - am I going to see MG latest movie?? Well I cant tell you the last time I have been to the movie theater - maybe once this year - so the odds are no I am not going to see it - but rest assured - as the spokesman for 2% of the population - it is not because MB is an anti-Semite - that is for him to deal with and others who share his opinions about the 2% of us - but why do you ask? And why do you not answer my question from above?? If you are too busy like you said before, although I see you have freed up some time for yourself recently, then you need not reply. Like I said, sometimes silence speaks volumes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Dec 11 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]360474[/snapback]</div>
    I would say you should could call a spade a spade here. Using the terminology, "intentionally obtuse", is kind of you in any event.

I am interested in what makes you think he was "confused and misinformed"? Has he acted this way previously in prior posts - I think there are hundreds if not a thousand of them to choose from? And if he has not, what conclusions can be drawn from this if any?

A recurring theme here is not being able to see evil or seeing good where there is evil. I am NOT accusing him of anything, mind you. I am letting the posts speak for themselves and the responses to them.

4. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

Maybe they should have just called it a holiday tree.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that I know more on the story, the less worthy this thread seems.

Happy Holidays!!!

....and stop feeding the Grinch.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 11 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]360468[/snapback]</div>
    your definition of "civil discussion" is predicated on certain notions that I do not believe exist here.

By trying to blame me you are shifting the entire nature of the authors post and reponses to it - I wonder why? I refuse to be put on the defensive for something I did not start and for something that might have intentional ramifications beyond the words themselves.

Curious, do you wholeheartedly agree with the original post? A simple yes or no will do thankyou.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Dec 11 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]360480[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it makes it that much more worthy - I would say it has legs except you obviously travel by air - interjecting a little Holiday Season humor here - for your benefit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 11 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]360468[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Not really. But interesting none the less.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 11 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]360475[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, no more insulting Dr. Berman... :rolleyes:

As for the above mentioned quote, funny, I thought you'd appreciate that... Very recently, you were going off on some tirade how impressive it was that although 2% of the population, there's a fair amount of Jews within our government (insert dark piano music here...lol (just kidding!!!). How come when it comes from my mouth, it's different?

Are YOU a Rabbi? Probably not. You don't all of sudden represent ALL Jews in my eyes, but a Rabbi, represents, at the very least, a pretty big chunk, or perhaps looking at it another way, about as much representation as a Bishop holds amongst Catholics.

As for not answering your question, quit demanding immediate answers! Again, I have OTHER things to do than answer all of Dr. Berman's questions throughout the day, some I'll answer, some I won't for whatever reason, boredom, forgetfulness, whatever, big deal, this is casual discussion....

edit: I just saw someone actually has the screen name "Hitler".... :lol: It WASN'T ME!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In case I was misunderstood, "Grinchbait" was the 1st post on this thread, as the intentional failure to tell the entire story was distorting.

Not my idea of enlightened discussion.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Dec 11 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]360504[/snapback]</div>
    Which is precisely why I asked if anyone had any further insight into the story.... :ph34r:

10. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]360508[/snapback]</div>
    Which is why I posted the AP version.

Though I see in your latest post you use the word "anyone." Anyone what? Who are you trying to offend? What do you mean by insight? Why do you bring up Honda? And you use ellipses ... convenient for you ... no? Why are you waiting until after I post to respond to me?

Sorry. I don't know what came over me. :p

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]360503[/snapback]</div>
    The same words in two different sentances can contain two totally different meanings if not more

I am not a Rabbi. There are thousands of Rabbi's - some with congregations of less than 100 people - not very large - so they do not have a huge sway - if you look at it from that perspective.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 11 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]360524[/snapback]</div>
    c'mon, yeah, so we should suddenly DEFAULT to the lowest common denominator, yeah, that's the "happy" version of the story... Regardless, it doesn't really matter what either of us thinks, the stinkbomb has already been burst, the Rabbi has been effectively blamed for having the Xmas trees removed. Which you can argue all you want, regardless of who did what, a Jewish Rabbi caused an agitation of sorts and Xmas trees were removed.

However, the bigger picture is this: Christmas, I'd say, is 50% Christian, 50% "thing we do on the 25th" sort of thing, the vast majority of the population celebrates it, now stupid issues like this arise, and threaten to effectively remove icons that represent the VAST majority. So now, because of this one man whining about a Menorah (and it can be anyone from ANY religion, so again, don't try and attach the anti-semitism spin to this, I'd be just as irate if it were someone who worships penis's pulled this off), everyone suddenly has to "pay"... :rolleyes: Personally, I could give a crap less how an airport somewhere chooses to decorate for the holidays, but that's besides the point anway...

BTW, on that note, Stalin was a far more eggregious murderer than Hitler ever was. :angry:

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 11 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]360399[/snapback]</div>
    You beat me to it, StevO! What the bleep do christmas trees and their symbolism of commercial greed have to do with the birth of Jesus, who his worshippers think is the Christ? If I were a Christian I'd be clamoring at the top of my lungs for the removal of christmas trees and an end to commercial gift-giving. I can understand Christians wanting to have a creche, because that represents the birth of Jesus, which christmas celebrates. But cutting down a living tree, decorating it, and piling commercial crap under it as a monument to greed (sort of a modern version of the golden calf!) strikes me as akin to trampling on the cross.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Dec 11 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]360411[/snapback]</div>
    Gulp! Instead of burning all those bonds, couldn't we cash them in, and maybe have a fake fireplace instead? Or even a bonfire? :D :D :D

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I still would like to see a big bond fire"

Great idea. Lets take Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig and make a big bonfire out of them. Braised ham, anyone? Wait - they weren't that bad.

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]360503[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it's more like a priest. And since it turns out a fair number of priests were pedophiles, by your logic all Christians are pedophiles.

16. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 11 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]360604[/snapback]</div>
    Well, given the logic of this thread, I think we can extend that to say all Christians are a bunch of no good tree-hugging pedophiles. ;)

17. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]360369[/snapback]</div> Yes, it's me again, Squid, on the same kind of topic. But I'm not going to name-call or harangue this time. I do truly believe you have a "blind spot", and I'm going to try to point out where I see it reflected. You DO still come off as anti-Semitic, and I'm half-believing you actually don't understand why. And while I hardly ever agree with Dr. Berman, and often object to his "tone", I support his points this time.

>>>...and then the Jewish community wonders why so much hate is such easily fostered and aimed towards them.

As you probably know (but may not), American Jewry, aside from nominal Jews who don't observe the religion at all, is divided into three major sub-groups: Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. (There are other divisions, but for the purpose of this post, I'll just use this commonly-known one.) Just guessing from the beard shown in his pic, this particular rabbi might be Orthodox---though he might not be, it doesn't really matter.

When the Pope makes a pronouncement, or Billy Graham, or a Baptist leader, most thinking people don't think whatever is said reflects on all of "Christianity". If it's the Pope, most don't even think it automatically reflects on all Catholics (especially American Catholics, many of whom openly flout one or more official Catholic teachings). On the other hand, most assume that at least SOME in whatever "faction" we're talking about ARE represented by what's said.

Similarly, do you think all evangelicals are tarnished (again, in the minds of most thinking people) by the more ridiculous utterings of Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell?

If you follow what I'm saying, and acknowledge this is fairly accurate, then: with how many Americans do you think this rabbi's action reflects on American Jews in general---much less all or world Jewry? With YOU?

>>> Of all the religions on this planet who could have a possible "beef" with Christmas, what drove the Rabbi?

Are you saying that Jews should somehow have less of an objection to having Channukah "overlooked" than other religions which might want their icons publicly displayed on the occasion of one of their "high holidays"? If so, why?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]360383[/snapback]</div>
    No, he didn't sue; and yes, the trees were removed as a result of his position. But the airport DID have a choice, and I can't understand why they couldn't have come up with a menorah rather than to take down the trees. But I do understand their choice, from their point of view. With Kwanzaa and possibly others, the can of worms might have spilled all over---and at other times of the year for other groups, too.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]360369[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]360435[/snapback]</div>

What makes your rants and ravings anti Semitic is the collective guilt with which you saddle the entire Jewish community for the actions of one Rabbi.

That is a classic anti Semitic incitement tactic.

19. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]360435[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]360503[/snapback]</div>

20. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]360538[/snapback]</div>