1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rabbi Sues, Christmas Trees Removed from Airport.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 12 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]360824[/snapback]</div>
    I am NOT answering your questions because you're demanding answers.

:angry:

2. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 11 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]360785[/snapback]</div>
    THAT was funny. I have not posted in a long time but I must say that this one made me laugh out loud this morning.

Dave
    '05 Prius
    Later...

3. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Googling this story today you get all kinds of crazy results, with one summary tailor-made for Fox news, depicting an "angry rabbi" who found the trees "offensive" and gave the airport "2 days" to remove the trees.

Of course, back in the reality based community, the most complete and accurate rendition comes from a local Seattle paper and gives the opposite impression, with the Rabbi distressed at the trees, removal and shocked that it's all such a big deal. The article also seems to inidicate the airport as being the first to retain an attorney (some weeks ago), although it's not entirely clear.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...1_trees10m.html

Or, as Shakespeare said, Much Ado About Nothing.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 11 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]360697[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Wildkow, but i just have to argue this point with you... It is true that it can't be directly traced back to any pagan ritual. However, there are plenty of pagan precedents that indicate it might have its origins in them.

Many Christians interpret this passage as prohibiting the Christmas Tree. In reality, the Christmas Tree is more a symbol of our own personal greed to have many presents underneath it from others than it is any symbol from religion. People don't put trees up because they feel it has some sort of spiritual meaning. Instead, they put trees up mostly because they feel it's expected of them - the same reason people put up Halloween decorations. Unless you'd like to argue that Halloween decorations have some root in Christianity too...

5. Mystery Squid

Yeah, and WHO exactly threatened litigation, and placed the airport in that position?

If the Rabbi was soo horrified, why not let it slide this year, revoke the threat of litigation, and make sure the Menorah went up next year? I wonder....

6. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]360846[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I think our current enamoration of the Christmas tree can be traced back to an earlier century's version of Lifestyles of the Rick and Famous or MTV Cribs (from Wiki):
    "Images of the royal family with their Christmas tree at Osborne House were illustrated in English magazines, initially as a woodcut in the Illustrated London News of December 1848, and copied in the United States at Christmas 1850 (illustration, left). Such patriotic prints of the British royal family at Christmas celebrations helped popularise the Christmas tree in Britain and among the anglophile American upper class."

7. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And now, the trees are going back up:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=104&sid=1001375

>>"Port officials received word Monday afternoon that Bogomilsky's organization would not file a lawsuit at this time over the placement of a menorah, Davis said in a statement.
    "Given that, the holiday trees will be replaced as quickly as possible," he said.
    Davis added that the rabbi "never asked us to remove the trees; it was the port's decision based on what we knew at the time."<<

8. Mystery Squid

...am I on target or what?!!! :lol:

"Port officials received word Monday afternoon that Bogomilsky's organization would not file a lawsuit at this time over the placement of a menorah, Davis said in a statement."

ok,

Jews=not bad guys again...

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]360832[/snapback]</div>
    Your not answering my questions because your answers would be damning - would be self damaging - what you are doing is taking the equivalent of the internets 5th Amendment.

In your own unique way - you did answer my questions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]360862[/snapback]</div>
    You keep answering my questions all the time - again in your own unique way. What do you make of your post above. Try to look at it objectively now....

Tell me, do you believe the Holocost actually happened?

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 12 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]360867[/snapback]</div>
    Could we at least try to stay on topic? please? just this once?

Actually, i think it's time to invoke Goodwin's Law!!!!!

As for the trees going back up... I find it hilarious that the staff, at this busy time of year, has the time to put up, take down, and put back up 13 trees, but doesn't have the time to put up one Menorah (and the possible implications that there might be one or two other religious holiday decorations to put up).

I demand a Festivus pole!

11. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]360875[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. There were several years in a row where I did work in Chicago nursing homes in December. These aren't place managed by any central authority. And the low-income ones are really nasty (a population of the really poor and old, old alcholics, and mentally ill/and or/drug abusers of any age) and generally the places overpower you when you first enter with the smell of urine and disinfectant. But even these places, with no bugdet and often indifferent staff, even these places managed to put up a menorah in addtion to other holiday decorations. It ain't that friggin' hard.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 11 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]360799[/snapback]</div>
    Some notable American Jewish philanthropists:
    • Michael Bloomberg
    • Eli & Edythe Broad
    • Guggenheim family
    • Henry Kravis
    • Michael Milken
    • Jacob Schiff
    • George Soros
    • Sandy Weill (ex-CEO of Citigroup)
    • Arthur Blank & Bernie Marcus (founders of Home Depot)
    • Julius Rosenwald (head of Sears & Roebuck & Kmart)
    • Michael Dell
    • Walter Annenberg
    Source: Wikipedia®

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]360875[/snapback]</div>
    When blood libel is used to fan the flames of anti-Semitism, the Holocaust IS relevant to the discussion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 07:08 AM) [snapback]360861[/snapback]</div>
    Here is another article:

The Seattle Times - Christmas trees are going back up at Sea-Tac airport

13. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]360888[/snapback]</div>
    See, here's where your logic is warped, YOU say "notable", to the average non-Jew Joe on the street, "greedy, corporate, Jews trying to take over the world". I've said it before, the J's biggest problem is being "unfashionable" in the eyes of the gentile masses, street level, NOT corporate CEO level... How do you think Hitler came into power? Cajoling heads of companies? No, rallying the everyday plebians...

What was that accusation about saddling with guilt? Didn't take too long before the Holocaust card was pulled out... :rolleyes:

14. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]360875[/snapback]</div>
    What about a display for The Flying Spaghetti Monster...pastafarians deserve representation also. :eek:

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]360896[/snapback]</div>
    Can you see any light? I mean you keep digging and digging and digging a deeper and deeper hole each and every time you make a post.

The "Holocost card" - wow at least you try to be original too.

"the J's" - you did it twice in one post.

Tell me, how did Hitler come into power?

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]360888[/snapback]</div>
    In the terms of this discussion, it really isn't. Look through the pages with a critical eye. The discussion concerns the issue at hand, namely the Rabbi's and Airport's actions. Off topic are the posts concerning anti-Semitism, simply because it's very easy to label people that way if they decide to side with the airport rather than the Rabbi. Many people also see it as a good debate card to play, because it opens up more avenues on your side, eventually leading to the holocaust and Hitler argument. (BTW, why hasn't he reared his ugly little head yet to declare a winner in this thread? dbermanmd's invoked the holocaust twice so far...). Simply put, no one's posts here have been anti-semitic. The first post did raise a valid point, although in an obtuse way. I read it as referring to the litigious nature of minority groups and the hate that people show towards them (in this case rightfully so singling out the minority group being discussed). If there was an article about an African American leader taking similar actions for, say, a display which depicted only white individuals, the same statement could be said about his group.

So I'll ask again, can everyone get off their god damn soap boxes and discuss the actually intention of this post, and not their feelings towards one another?

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 12 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]360903[/snapback]</div>
    digging a deeper hole??? lol, I care not what you, or anyone else for that matter may think... so go pound sand.

Actually, the BEST, most efficient, propagators, of anti-semitism, are you guys. This whole Christmas tree issue is a great example.

Let's face it, it's likely the only reason the Rabbi backed off is when he got wind of the truckloads of anti-semitism the issue was creating...

18. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]360896[/snapback]</div>
    More unfashionable Jews: Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Issac Mizrahi.
    More Jews not liked by the masses:
    Howard Cosell. Marv Albert. Lyle Alzado. David Beckham. Ted Koppel. Barbara Walters.
    Isaac Asimov. Harold Robbins. Neil Simon. Studs Terkel. Scott Turow. Louis Sacher.

Dude, you're just seeing what you want to see.

And yeah, where the heck is Priuschat Hitler?

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]360896[/snapback]</div>
    Hitler came to power because prewar Germany and Europe were full of prejudiced and ignoramus anti-Semites in whose steps you follow so well.

Roll your eyes as much as you want. Yes, in my eyes you are guilty of being an unmitigated, unrepentant, Jew hating anti-Semite; however, I am not blaming every Caucasian Christian male for being responsible for your pathological anti-Semitic hatred and I am not saddling them with collective guilt or responsibility for your words and actions.

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]360921[/snapback]</div>
    Not really... OK, look at it this way, who would you find more difficult to toss in the oven: anyone one of those guys, or someone who partly funded your kid's college education through some scholarship or other?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]360923[/snapback]</div>
    Fine, and in mine, you are, hands down, the MOST racist person on PC, as has been shown, time and time again, against the Palestinians, prostitutes, and a variety of others, for which I'm not going to dig up.

Unfortunately, you're wrong on the why's and how Hitler came to power, once again, and it's not even worth aruging why, as you'll never see it.