1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rabbi Sues, Christmas Trees Removed from Airport.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 11, 2006.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 08:37 AM) [snapback]360908[/snapback]</div>
    I beg to differ.

The very first post was an attack on the entire Jewish community for the actions of one ultra-Orthodox Rabbi. The OP has a long history of anti-Semitic attacks on PriusChat. This is not the first time he has gone after the Jewish community as a whole as opposed to simply criticizing the deeds of Jewish individuals as individuals. That state of mind is the same as the one that lead to the Holocaust.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]360369[/snapback]</div>

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lets see if we can come to a conclusion here. Hitler was bad. anti-semitism is bad. We're all damned and going to hell because we can't agree on a religion. Oh, and it's only a matter of time until some sociopath in the middle east gets his hands on enough WMD's to wipe us all out of existence.

I think that pretty much sums up the ending of every discussion in FHOP, right? So maybe everyone can just take chill pill and flame each other in private so i don't think there's something actually worth reading and come here disappointed, yet again.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]360924[/snapback]</div>
    "OK, look at it this way, who would you find more difficult to toss in the oven" -

I thought it impossible - but you did it - you surpassed yourself - you dug your hole even deeper - at this rate you might hit China. Thank you for your continued expression of your "thoughts" and opinions. You continue to do more for us - speaking as a representative of the Jews - than you could ever imagine.... BTW - any thoughts on Chinese people or Asians in general :lol:

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]360938[/snapback]</div>
    Your first smart move - silence.

5. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I call on mods to shut this one down.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]360937[/snapback]</div>
    OK, you just crossed over into the "crazy", "fanatic" category...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 12 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]360977[/snapback]</div>
    Just can't stay out of the fray can you Jack... Instead of whining to the mods, yet again, for the millionth time, let the thread go, it's run its course anyway...

7. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let's show some lovin'

and throw this one in the oven.

Yes, it's run its course.

8. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 12 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]360992[/snapback]</div>
    Put on your helmet Jack...

...I can smell the episode coming....

:p

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 12 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]360992[/snapback]</div>
    Bad pun.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]360979[/snapback]</div>
    I think it has run its course - with you providing all the gasoline....

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 11 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]360538[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Berman asks for an explanation. For once, forgive me for saying this, Squid was right. My memory is that Stalin usually gets "credit" for the deaths of some 12,000,000 human beings. I checked Wikipedia for an update and found:

"Russian writer Vadim Erlikman, for example, has made the following estimations: Executions 1.5 million, Gulag 5 million, Deportations 1.7 million (out of 7.5 million deported), and POW's and German civilians 1 million, for a total of about 9 million victims of repression.

Some have also included the 6 to 8 million victims of the 1932-33 famine . But again historians differ, this time as to whether or not the famine victims were purposive killings - as part of the campaign of repression against kulaks - or whether they were simply unintended victims of the struggle over forced collectivization.

Regardless, it appears that a minimum of around 10 million surplus deaths (4 million by repression and 6 million from famine) are attributable to the regime, with a number of recent books suggesting a probable figure of somewhere between 15 to 20 million. Adding 6-8 million famine victims to Erlikman's estimates above, for example, would yield a figure of between 15 and 17 million victims. Pioneering researcher Robert Conquest, meanwhile, has revised his original estimate of up to 30 million victims down to 20 million."

Any way you look at it, Stalin wins the killing contest. Of course, he had a lot more time to pull this off as well as doing much of his work without the pressure of war to slow him down. (Although he was no slacker during war either.)

In any case, this is a pretty lousy list to be a member of and Hitler doesn't come off looking good for being in second place. I'm always a little surprised when Hitler is used as the icon for evil while Stalin is forgotten as the all-purpose killer that he was. Hitler killed Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, etc. while Stalin killed virtually anybody. He even had returning Russian POWs killed because he didn't want them spread the word of the "better" life they found in Germany. (In Stalags!)

I have some familiarity with this subject. B.A. History (Russian), U.C. Irvine. (1976, I think)

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 12 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]361002[/snapback]</div>
    Riddle me this - what methods were used?
    And why do you not give Hitler "credit" for all the deaths attributable to WWII??? How many people were killed in Europe and North Africa during Hitlers reign? Tell me, did Stalin experiment on humans they way Hitler did? Did Stalin murder children too to the same degree as Hitler? And what of the handicaped both physical and mental - did Stalin off them too? I am waiting for the experts answers.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]360875[/snapback]</div>

OMG! So ironic and yet so deadly accurate. Almost like putting a dart dead center in the bullseye and then another dead center on the end of the first dart!

BaHaHaHaHaHa!

Wildkow

p.s. You get a dancing banana for that one!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 06:44 AM) [snapback]360846[/snapback]</div>

I know that’s why I posted the opposite side just to show that you can't definitively say that it was a Pagan symbol. Now any guess as to where the candy cane comes from? So many things to get rid of just because of imagery, how sad. :(

Wildkow

Attached Files:

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The candy cane was originally a straight, hard, and all-white candy stick. The cane shape is traditionally credited to a choirmaster at Cologne Cathedral in Germany, who, legend has it, in 1670 bent straight sugar sticks into canes to represent a shepherd's staff, and gave them to children at church services. Whether the choirmaster had the "Good Shepherd" in mind is unknown. Another theory is, as people decorated their Christmas trees with food, the bent candy cane was invented as a functional solution. Peppermint candy with red stripes first appeared in the mid-19th century in the Swedish town of Gränna [1], and striped candy canes in the early 20th century.

Or so saith Wikipedia.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 12 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]361009[/snapback]</div>
    Still waiting for some edification professor...

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe Squid is providing the perfect reason why SAETAC should go holidayless and why Priuschat should go exclusive Prius-related topics putting all posts on strict Moderator approval.

Clearly, when you attempt to please everyone, you end up irritating everyone.

Target used to have the Salvation Army in front of their stores until other people insisted that they receive similar treatment. Looking into the multi-donation future, Target decided that in this case none was better than all.

The Christmas trees came down because - according to the airport spokesman - there wasn't time to build religious shrines to every religion on Earth. So the tree - which has nothing to do with the Nativity Scene - was removed.

On Priuschat, we created a forum for non-Prius related threads. At first, we talked about our weekends and things in the news. Then we discussed politics and personal preferences. Now it's gotten so bad that we are getting reports about posts on a regular basis. In this case, I believe that it would be a lot easier on everyone if Priuschat was locked down and restricted to Prius-only topics: Mileage, Modifications, Next Year's Model.

Just like Target and SEATAC, our attempt to please everyone has only annoyed everyone.

16. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 12 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]361046[/snapback]</div>
    Frankly, I wonder why it is some kind of "contest." They were both horrible. Does this thread really need to turn into "Who Will Be Priuschat's Next Top War Criminal?"

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 12 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]361051[/snapback]</div>
    Frankly my dear Megan - yes. You are missing the point here.

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 12 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]361049[/snapback]</div>
    IMO, that's the worst outcome. SEATAC should not have, effectively, been terrorized into removing the trees, and likewise with Target. That's what this world doesn't do enough of these days, draw a line. You'll NEVER please everyone. IMO, it boils down to this: let the complainers piss and moan, if it offends them too much, they'll leave, OR shut down off topic. You guys have been half assing this for a while now, and all you get is grief trying to please everyone, as has been duly noted. I say go one way or be other and be done with it.

If that doesn't work, I offer to be martyr and be bannished!

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 12 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]361076[/snapback]</div>
    are the violins still playing?

20. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be extremely happy if there was a blanket ban on religious and political discussion, except maybe if directly related to the Prius.

I've seen other forums work like this, and they seem to be much more pleasant places as a result.

There are plenty of other places for Squid and Doberman to rant about politics and religion. We're not infringing on their liberties if we say this isn't the place. But at the minute we're forced to put up with this endless nonsense.

At a minimum, I'd want religion and politics moved into a separate forum here, which can be set to be permanently hidden from the Get New Posts display. If that's not technically possible, then ban it outright.