1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Race to 10,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Sep 9, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While this picture (showing my mileage at 10,001 miles) was taken on Saturday morning, I am curious to know how many others have also reached the 10,000 mile mark on their 2010 Prius?

As of this morning's commute, I am now at 10,698. I acquired the car on June 4th, so I know that I had a head start on many here.

Who else is in the 10k club?

Attached Files:

2. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there are some folks that got their 2010 as early as March? Anyway, I got mine on July 4th!, one month after you and already hitting the 4K mark now, but I guarantee that I will catch up with you by the end of the year!

Just curious, are you getting the 10K oil change or waiting until 15K?

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am waiting a little longer to see what the final word is. My first one was done at 5373, so I am only a few hundred past this.

If I recall correctly, I read that the suggested interval (for the exact same engine) was something like 10k miles in Europe, and 12,500 in Asia. (I guess it could have been Km, which would make sense too, but I am not sure).

Either way, I will wait about 500 more miles, or if I get 'official confirmation', then I will wait til I hit 15k miles.

As for folks getting their cars in March, I though I remembered seeing that the lines were brought up for the 201 Prius only in May? Could be wrong though, it's happened to me before (though I would deny this to my wife.) ;-)

4. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a LOT of driving. 10K in just over 3 months?

I have a 2001 BMW 330Cic that has a whopping 18K on it. When I bought it on Ebay in 8/05, it had 1589 miles on it (not a typo, little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays car). I used my '94 Jeep in the winter. It only had 90k on it when we traded it in the C4C program for the Prius.

The Prius will probably see 12K per year as the wife will use it for commuting. Our '08 Lexus RX400h will become my winter car except on really sloppy days when I'll insist she use that to get to work.

We tend to keep cars a long time, it might be 10 years before we need a new one.

We love our two hybrids, but they don't come close to the driving fun of the BMW rag-top.

5. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If they're using basic old dino oil, you should change it every 5k. We do 5k in the Lexus and I do 10k in my BMW (but I use Amsoil in that car). Frequent oil changes are cheap insurance.

6. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am using only Toyota 0w20 oil, as recommended.

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We purchased our car on May 17,2009. Odometer is approaching 10,200 miles now.

I need to change my oil and I am still waiting for a confirmation from Toyota in reference to 10,000 mile oil change intervals with 0x20 synthetic motor oil.

I did it myself at 5,000 miles with Mobil one 0x20 synthetic with a toyota oil filter.

So far we are quite pleased with our purchase.

alfon