1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Racing Hubcaps or Aerodynamic Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 5, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally took a picture of my mudguards and my caps. Mudguards should not be a problem with hurting fuel mileage because the caps push the air around them. :D But i dont care about that anyway. The mudguards and the caps look good and that all I care about.

[​IMG]

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 26 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]245776[/snapback]</div>
    Jay,

What length rivets did you use? I'm assuming you used 3/16" rivets. All the rivets I have currently are either too short or way too long.

My hubcaps arrived today, I have drilled the extra 3 holes in each and have all the holes in the trim rings, but the bolts/nuts I used to hold the pizzapans on will interfere with the rim a bit, so I'll have to rivet them.

I'm assuming the washers you used on the rivets were the specialized rivet washers that may or may not have come with your rivets?

I'm dropping by Home Depot tomorrow with a trim ring and hubcap to get the right length rivets, but it would be nice to verify my thoughts on the "right" length.

BTW, these hubcaps are the same brand I bought for my 71 Mustang in college in the late 80s, I can't believe they're still around! And obviously their QC on size is still an issue, as I see from your original pics that your Mike's hubcaps pretty much sit flush with the edge of the trim rings, while mine are about 1/8-3/32" smaller in radius than the trim rings.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably my only concern with doing this mod is how the wheels (front especially) will be caked with brake dust that won't be as easy to clean off. Brake dust is hell on clear-coat. I wash my wheels off quite often, and it'll just add one more step of removing these covers to clean an area that I don't even see. Am I a slave to fashion? Only time will tell... I still greatly appreciate you sharing this with us!

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the rivets I bought at lowes.

Rivets

They are 3/16 by 1/4inch long. I had to buy the washers seprate. 50 rivets per pack and 30 washers to a pack. Wth? They were even the same brand! Its just like buying hotdogs and hotdog buns. :angry: I plan on changing to stainless steel rivets when I can find them.

I bought the 15 inch caps and my caps are about the same size as my rings or 1/32 larger or smaller but they fit well.

I'm washing my car about 1 time a month and I take off the caps to wash out the brake dust. Its not that hard really. So far theres not much dust in there but I dont use my brakes that much anyway. Mostly regen until I hit that 7mph or below mark and then I come to a quick stop.

Hope this helps eveyone.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where do the valve stems go? Looks like you'd need to take the hubcaps off to check your tire pressure, which is inconvenient enough to encourage not checking tire pressure. I think they do look cool, but I'm skeptical about the mileage claim.
    Bob

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to say I took my car up to 97MPh B) today and the hub caps are still holding strong. :D I'll never go that fast again unless i'm on a drag strip or race course. The car felt a little too lose for me at those speeds.

Yes you have to take the caps off to check the air pressure but I fill my car with gas, wash the car, and check air pressure once a month so its no big deal for me. Increased mileage or not i'm keeping mine on. I seen an improvement but your mileage may vary.

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

My hubcaps shoud be here today. Thank you for the post. Here is my goal.
    [attachmentid=3809]

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your welcome. Looks nice! Where are you going to get your wheel skirts?

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 15 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]271777[/snapback]</div>
    I'll Make them from sheet metal or foam covered in resin and painted to match

Notice the skirts don't come down all the way...I've been looking at the curve of the sides of the Prius. If I made a full skirt it would have to puff out at the bottom and I'm not sure I want to do that.

10. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please post pictures when you get them finished. I would like to see how they look.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I got my caps today and have already installed them. They look great! I think I may just add three more rivets to each cap to make a more stable fit. Thanks for your post.

13. CheapFast&amp;LoveGas

I like them.. kinda have a salt flat racer look to them.

14. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm simply ignorant, but I would normally think that anything that adds weight to the wheels would require more effort to make them turn. Back in the early 1970's top fuel dragsters experimented with wheelcovers like the pictures and even aerodynamic fairings. They were ultimately rejected because the added weight offset any benefits.

I would think simply going to a nice lightweight racing (dot approved) rim might provide some minimal benefit, as well as a harder compound tire, but as far as actual duel economy on a car with so little power I would think the benefit of hubcaps would be in the eye ofthe beholder.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got a black Prius and have been thinking about a hubcap like this. Only I'd like it painted glossy black. Could these be painted? Would I have to take them to a body shop and have them painted and clear coated like the car?

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 18 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]273128[/snapback]</div>
    You should be able to paint them. Coat of primer and sand down, another coat of primer, a coat of paint or two then clear coat, buff, and you should be fine.

I thought about painting mine but it would make the car look TOO red. Now an all black Prius would be cool. At night turn off your lights, MFD, and go into ultimate stealth mode. You could run from the cops if you had to. ;)

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I really like those JDM side markers in your pic. How are they attached? And do you have a link to where to get them? I think they'd look cool on black.

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 18 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]273155[/snapback]</div>
    You have to cut a hole in your prius to attach them. :eek: You can read my post about them here.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...hl=side+markers

and you can buy them here
    http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

It takes a while to get used to them being on the car but I think they are well worth it. They should have come standard like in most other countries.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry. I misunderstood. I didn't mean the side signal lights. I meant the "PRIUS" on the door panels. It's not a decal. And I don't think that comes standard. Where did you get it and how does it install? I hope no drilling of holes.

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 18 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]273186[/snapback]</div>
    OK then I shall point you here. :D

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17760&hl=emblem

They just stick on and you can also buy them at Sigma. :)