1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Racing Hubcaps or Aerodynamic Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Globalwarmingmyarse

Globalwarmingmyarse New Member

RACING HUBCAPS!!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAhAhAHAHAH holy crap you guys should charge for this kind of entertainment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 18 2006, 02:49 AM) [snapback]273025[/snapback]</div>

Actually, you're dead on. This is called unsprung weight because it is not borne by the suspension of the car, adding rotational mass to the wheel means that the engine has to work harder to turn the wheels. However, since these are just hubcaps, the weight might be minimal and could be partially offset by whatever MARGINAL aerodynamic advantages you could squeeze out of there. However, these things will DESTROY your braking because it hinders heat dissipation making your pads and rotors hot and soft. This is not conducive to short stopping times, which means you might be unexpectedly testing the crumple zones of your new prius, and with the waitlist on these things right now, i wouldnt push it. This mod is not only hilarious, it is dangerous.

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Brakes? Heat dissipation? From the brakes? HA HA.... Heat from the brakes, what kind of car do you drive? HA, Ha, ha. heeeee. I think the last time I used my brakes was a week ago Wednesday. lol, with tears. I don't think you own a Prius, or at the very least you don't get about 50MPG. HA, ha, ha, heeee, heeee.

I had to get back in my chair, I fell on the floor that was so funny. Oh, I needed that.

By the way in a spinning mass, once the mass is spinning it's momentum keeps it going proportional to it's mass, distance from center of spin, and less the friction forces. So I think you better keep your hands down for a while or you just might slow down the planet.

All kidding aside, I just got the caps for the looks, and if you take away the weight of the plastic rings these light weight aluminum caps must add less than two ounces each. Most of that weight being closer to the center of spin then the plastic trim rings were. The extra air in my tires weighs more than that.

That made my day. Thank you.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Racing schmacing.

I don't really care what they're called.

And I don't drive over the speed limit. I like my high mileage and I'm in no hurry.

What I want is something nicer than what's on the car without trashing my original equipment. I'm thinking of resale in 2008 when the new models come out so I'm not so sure I want to drill holes in my trim rings.

But...I've been thinking of some way to make the wheels black for a while. Going really stealth. Painted hubcaps would do it. And these would work for me. I'm not interested in going faster. Just so long as they don't impact my mileage or cause mechanical problems as with the brakes. Apparently neither is an issue.

I just saw a picture of Efusco's shark fin antenna. Hmmm. Might be really nice in black. I may have to look into that too.

4. Globalwarmingmyarse

Globalwarmingmyarse New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jun 18 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]273323[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, im so embarassed i dont drive a planet saver. And you're right, German brakes put off a hell of a lot more heat than hippiehybrid brakes. I have a great idea, since you are so sure of yourself, next time you're done driving in stop and go traffic, why dont you lay your euro man purse aside, find your brakes among those UFO hubcaps and stop admiring the billboard's worth of liberal "i dont have to nads to say this to your face" bumper stickers that litter half of these machines, and just grab ahold of those brake rotors with both hands, just to prove your point. I will look forward to hearing either that, 1) Prius brakes defy laws of friction, or 2) that your hands have blisters the size of George W Bush's balls on them.

You might notice that i mentioned your reservations about the marginal weight you are adding to the car, but its nice of you to assume that the mass is spinning in the first place, what with you guys claiming to beat Vipers and Vettes, etc on that thread your moderator graciously shut down I thought you might have concerns about getting all that flower power down onto the tarmac to start with, i hear the traction contoll and stock tires is a big pain when trying to drag race. Im glad you are having a good day, when you're done saving the air i breathe up here in the north pole, post pictures of those hands.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 18 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]273330[/snapback]</div>
    This is a perfectly rational reason to own a Prius. Also, if you want some good colored wheels check out gram lights. They weigh much less than normal wheels, will help with conering and would actually look pretty good if you chose the right ones.
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/gramlights/gramlights.jsp

5. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Globalwarmingmyarse @ Jun 19 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]273311[/snapback]</div>
    I actually do understand the concept of unsprung weight. I also know that racing and Prius should never be uttered in the same breath under anycircumstances. However the cars ride very well, the front end has a similiar "heavy" feel of the older muscle cars and even the new mustangs and I happen to like that feel. The disk hubcaps will not cause the brakes to overheat. The cars are too slow and regular street use not intensive enough to create any problems with hubcaps on a Prius. I like the looks of them.

Many of us do things because they look good. Heck, if I didn't think my wife looked good I would have never asked her out in the first place.

I have limited experience with the Prius. I joined this site to learn more about it because Toyota is very tight lipped and many of the dealer mechanics I have encountered are the automotive equivalent of computer techs with a A+ Certification.

Unfortunately I have seen several "trolls" in the few days I have been actively reading and then I was informed by someone that I knew basically nothing of what I am speaking about but most of the people here seem to be nice, the cars are a great technology, and they are not intended for racing, driving fast, and certainly not cornering. They get great gas mileage and are very well built and the price tag is reasonable. I'd buy one if I were sending a kid to college.

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Globalwarmingmyarse @ Jun 19 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]273349[/snapback]</div>
    Look, I'm sorry. I really thought you were kidding. Ok first of all I am not a liberal, I am a Right Wing Republican. I am not an environmentalist trying to save the planet by driving a Prius, I drive a Prius because I am cheap! I don't like spending money on fuel. I also own solar panels for the same reason, to save money. Also, just for grins, my take on trees...Use them up, and we'll plant more. You have never seen a shortage of cows or chickens...have you?

And...I'll take that bet about grabbing the breaks after driving in stop and go traffic any day. You can spot me in the stop and go traffic because I'll be the one going slower than anyone else and not braking. If the flow of traffic is averaging 3 mph, they will hit the gas speed to 35 mph and then the brakes to a stop, while I am driving at 3 mph the whole time. I'll coast and coast for free and maintain my speed only with the electric charge stored in the batteries from when the engine was last running. When I do have to break I am usually so far back, because I anticipated the light on the same roads I drive on every day, I don't have to press the peddle all the way. I only press the peddle to activate the re-generation actions that recharge my car. I don't press it hard enough to activate the calipers.

Your idea about what the definition of "Racing Caps" is wrong. The race is not to be the first one to cross the finish line, the race is however to see who can do it for the lease amount of money spent. Haven't you been upset by taking a plane trip somewhere only to find out the guy next to you is taking the same trip for hundreds or even thousands less. That is the idea behind racing caps.

I was much like you before I got my Prius. Who would have thought you could coast up to a light and have it turn green just before you get there, or average 52 mpg, saving you two hundred dollars a month in fuel costs, or that you could hack/modify the Prius in so many ways, that you can even drive it using electricity alone that you produced with a couple of solar panels and a small wind turbine. I have to tell you this is my dream car. I can talk to it and it talks back, and when I drive while no one else is around, I can hear a tree fall in the forest.

I do understand your point of view, but you don't understand how driving a car that can do all of these wonderful things can change the way you want to drive. If I could I would plug my Prius into my solar array and drive with out paying any of the electric or gas companies anything. Maybe I grow my own vegetables, cook in a solar oven, and recycle the rain water from my roof to water the garden and lawn is so I can use the money to invest, and not because It is the right thing to do. Any way you cut it....What is right for the environment is right for your wallet. So, I'm not here to save the world, but by serving my own selfish interests, I'm doing it anyway.

"Speaker now steps off of the soap box"

So do you want to race? Who ever finishes with the best MPG wins!

Shelby profita and Deepspacedave like this.
  7. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 5 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]235557[/snapback]</div>
    Prius doesn't run fast enough to hinder performance. Aslo the battery would charge better as kenetic energy increases with head and flow of electrons bla bla bla it's all scientific. In other words it's good for a prius, bad for an actual race car (I don't know why they wouyld call these racing caps) As a matter of fact Racers don't use hubcaps at all, they use actualy alloy wheels.

8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 19 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]273611[/snapback]</div>
    Take a look at the salt flats racers.... At high speed and a very long run turbulence is a huge problem.

9. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 19 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]273637[/snapback]</div>
    those are not racecars. They are land speed record machines that use a parachute to break and even still they use solid alloy wheels not caps. Stability from aerodynamics isn't effected till 180 mp/h(in which case you would still have controll with regular wheels) which most racecars don't even reach as they have to turn before they hit 120 mp/h in most cases.

10. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 19 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]273641[/snapback]</div>
    You must be much younger than I... Even Don Garlits experimented with flat hubcaps on the streamliner he build back in the 1970's... That and the old salt flat guys are why they are referred to as racing hubcaps. The name no longer fits as technology passed them by.

There are very definite stability issues with many vehicles at speeds over 100mph. I'm not trying be be argumentative but I have probably been over 100mph more than most people...

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off I would like to say I do not normally like to feed the trolls but there are a few concerns here that the trolls brought up that I would like to comment on.

1.Yes I'm adding weight to the wheel but who really cares. Its not much and any if there is any downside with the weight it is canceled out if not improved by the aerodynamics. I seen an improvement in a few mpg but YMMV. Note: Notice I did not say I was RACING WITH THEM! I like the way the caps look and I'm keeping them on! B)

2. I took troll Globalwarmingmyarse up on his challenge and I touched my brake rotors. :eek: Guess what? Your RIGHT my hands do have blisters the size of George W Bush's balls and guess what? I don't have any blisters and GWB don't have any balls! :lol: But that is something we already know. I checked my temperatures with an IR thermometer. I started out by going 0-65MPH in 5sec :rolleyes: and then slowing back down to a stop plus I made 2 hard stops from 25MPH. Here are my results...

With the caps on. Front 114 degrees, Rear 107 degrees.
    With the caps off. Front 109 degrees, Rear 105 degrees.

So if I'm going down a long hill and the engine brake wont help much I WILL be taking them off but there are no hills that big around here. The hills are about like GWB balls but MUCH bigger. :lol: Also I take my caps off about once a month to clean them and guess what I find? I find Very little break dust. In fact there is more road dust and dirt than break dust. :eek: Normal cars you have to clean them about every day to keep the break dust off. I'll let the trolls do some homework to figure that one out. :blink:

You trolls may think this topic was about RACING but its not! Its about HUBCAPS that happen to be called RACING HUBCAPS or DISCS! Just go to Hubcap Mike's and you'll see.

Also My Prius will beat whatever car you have in any kind of race. :rolleyes:

P.S. My D**k is bigger than your D**k! :lol: :rolleyes:

I will not respond to any more trolls unless they have a good question or comment and also have some respect for others here. <strike>As far as I'm concerned this topic is closed. In fact I request that this topic be closed by the moderators as there is no more GOOD information that needs to be listed. I would like to request that any further posts be deleted from this topic.</strike>

12. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 19 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]273655[/snapback]</div>
    Ok I'm no troll or whatever or maybe I am if thats what you call all us sports car drivers. However I do not flame Prius owners or anyhting so if I'm a troll or whatever then I'm a damn nice one. I just wanted to comment on this as you say not to feed the trolls then say something like this. I wouldn't be surpised if this is the sentence that kills this thread. It's one thing ot play with fire but it's another to soak yourself in kerosene then do it. You know your prius would lose to 95% of cars out there in a speed race (you said ANY kind) and I know you know that, so try and keep your forum from looking bad to all the other forums as we do not want a repeat of the "Prius Racing" thread. I'm not here ot be mean but it's sentences like this that cause thetrolls to come in here and I'm sure you're annoying the fellow prius owners when they come in and talk trash against the prius and people like you are to blame.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 19 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]273646[/snapback]</div>
    they're still not racecars, circuit cars are racecars as in they have to turn, then the brakes would be SOL. Those are top speed cars and the wheels are barely the deciding factor of stability at 100 mph. I know my car would lose alot of performance with those caps on it.

13. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no expert but I have been racing for seven years. I have no idea what your backgroud or experience is, but if you ask any racer whether or not a LSR car or a dragster, or even my Camaro is a race car, he/she will answer in the affirmative. That is all I know and frankly I am just trying to be friendly and not argumentative. For all I know you are the John Force of whatever you drive and I am dead wrong. All I was doing was trying to explain why the caps are named that way. I'm 47 years old with gray hair, 45 event victories, two track championships and a win at the GM High tech Shootout in 2001. Thats my background. Perhaps I have no idea what I am talking about and in that case I stand corrected and apologize for being an azzhat. :)

14. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 19 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]273670[/snapback]</div>
    No you are deffinately more qualified. You just seem to be ignoring or failing to provide a counterexample as to the fact that cars that actually race and compete against otyher cars other than just a straightline are considered race cars and do not use these wheels. I'm just saying the cars that use them aren't really race cars as they are streamliners and landspeed cars. I understand you telling m that they are on these cars and thus gives them the racing wheel name. I'm just saying that the cars that use them do not race therefore the name is rather invalid, In no way am I arguing the history of the wheels or your knowelege, or the fact that they are claled what they're called. Just saying that the name doesn't suite them well.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been asked by the OP to close this thread and will do so.

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought I would give a quick update on my caps.

They are still holding strong even when reaching speeds of 101mph! B)

I take them off every 500 miles or so when I wash my car and here is what my wheels look like after 500 miles of driving.

They are not that bad. :D A strong spray with the hose and they get about 95% clean.

[​IMG]

17. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    racing hubcaps...lolz. They're just hurting your car in both performance and looks. The look incredible dumb IMO and they are killing your brake cooling. I bet you burn through pads every year. Prius discrace IMO

lol, racing hubs.....hahahaha

18. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 23 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]448310[/snapback]</div>
    Umm...did you read the part where some troll already made a comment about brake cooling? Might want to go back read the responses before trying your post again.

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 23 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]448310[/snapback]</div>
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but your "concerns" were addressed in the previous posts. They were addressed when the other trolls came to PC and started talking about stuff they had no clue about. If you bothered to read them you would understand but I dont expect trolls to read through all the posts to know whats really going on.

I'm only responding to this because you may be a real Prius owner "concerned" but you attitude and avatar point toward troll.

I have now edited the title of this topic to better reflect the hubcaps while still keeping it so people can find it by its original name.

20. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I still keep thinking about these hubcaps.

I really believe that they could have added 2 MPG, becuase I saw a websight on Car Aerodynamics that said these kind of hubcaps are the best. I have never been able to re-locate the site though. Has the extra 2 MPH remained consistant since the earlier posts?

And I do think they look good too, but I am just not sure after I spend the dough if I will be happy with the looks.

I think they look good on Cheap!'s Silver Prius too. My car is Silver Pine Mica.

Shelby profita likes this.