1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Racing Hubcaps or Aerodynamic Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 5, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still don't know about the MPG boost but I'm willing to bet they do help at highway speeds where your up to speed and stay there. I'm guessing that they may hurt mileage if you do a lot of stop and go. This is do to the added weight. When your traveling highway your up to speed and stay there. You have to move that mass once to get up to speed and then the aerodynamics take over. At stop and go speeds you have to keep moving that mass around wasting more energy. Thats the theory anyway.

I don't think I will test it anytime soon as I don't really have the time. Plus I just like the looks of them on. I like to see peoples reaction when they see my wheels when I'm driving around. I notice thats the first thing people point at and have that WOW COOL look on their face.

2. dkit

dkit Junior Member

Love the P.S. My D**k is bigger than your D**k! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Question: did you attach the hubcups to those plastic thingies that come installed on the Prius wheels?

3. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dimak @ Jul 14 2007, 05:24 AM) [snapback]478562[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I attached the caps to the plastic trim pieces that go in the wheels. The only other option was to drill and tap holes in the rim of the wheel and I did not want to do that.

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Force, thanks for your post.

For my birthday, my wife bought me a set of the "aerodynamic hubcaps". I just installed them last week. I used your technique described here. The only difference is that I used stainless steel bolts and nuts and then used a drill based grinding whell (cost $15.00) to cut off the exess bolt. The whole job took about 2 hours(maybe a little longer including cleanup) to do all 4 hub caps.

WOW, what a difference. The car looks awesome. The car gets a lot of looks now. My wife says it makes the car stand out and look futuristic. All I know is that a lot of people stop and look that never paid much attention before.

Thanks again.

5. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Jul 14 2007, 08:25 AM) [snapback]478641[/snapback]</div>
    ;)
    ;) Wow, what a great wife! Please post the mileage differences if you notice any. I need to re-read all the thread before I jump in, but this looks like a project for me B)

Lee

6. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

I for one think this is a wonderous modification
    and have it listed for my next personal prius project upgrade.
    I just wanted to say thanks for writing on it and posting the photo's
    which will be a big help to me....

Froley

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Moon hubcaps just arrived from Mike's. I think I have the wrong size. They measure 15" in diameter. whereas the trimrings are 16". The caps could be mounted on the trimrings, but 1/2 inch of the trimring would show all around.

[attachmentid=10167]

Closeup:

[attachmentid=10168]

Should I send these back and get 16" hubcaps?

Attached Files:

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you go the 16" where would the holes and bolts go? In other words, would they be so close to the edge that they would interfere with the wheel or the mechanism that holds the trim ring to the wheel?

9. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 26 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]485793[/snapback]</div>
    It LOOKS like there would be room to drill the holes. I wonder what size caps those who have already done this used.
    Force says his were 15", but they do not fit like mine.

10. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 19 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]273700[/snapback]</div>
    I call them Moon disks, which is what we called them in the Fifties. For those not around then, Moon was the name of the company that first popularized these disks for custom cars, and sold other custom parts.

For us in our early teens, Moon disks on a custom car were like the foldout in a Playboy magazine.

11. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to contact Mike and ask him about the size of your caps. I ordered the 15" discs and they fit perfectly. They go right out to the edge of the trim rings. If they are coming up about an inch short on you he may have given you the wrong size or his supplier made them wrong. I'm sure if you give Mike a call he will get you straighten out ASAP. Mike is a really nice guy. At least when I talked to him.

You may want to experiment with the ones you got. Having the rivet or bolt further in may help the trim ring rest against the wheel like it should. If you go this route you have to make sure the rivet or bolt does not interfere with the tabs or that wire ring on the inside.

A quick update on my caps. During Hybridfest I went to check my air pressure and snapped a tab off one of my trim rings so I'm going to have to drill out the rivets and mount the cap on another ring. Not really a big deal especially after over a year of use. The rivets have held strong and the tab had no sign of breaking when I inspected at the last washing. I believe the cap would have held on just fine but it was pretty easy to remove so I decided to just remove all 4 caps on my way home from Madison.

With my caps off I could not tell any difference in MPG but I did have some rain on the way home causing my MPG to drop by 2mpg. On the way up I averaged about 53mpg and on the way back it was at 51mpg.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I recommend using some sort of black caulk so that air doesn't get behind the leading edge and cause them to curl like mine did. I did not use caulk and I also noticed some noise so I was not that stealthy.

I just looked up at the page and I see you posted pictures. They are worth a thousand words. Yeah you have the wrong size. What do you think Force? See if you can email a photo to mike.

13. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 26 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]485908[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your replies and PMs. I will call Mike and see what he says.

Given your experiences, I am planning to put the caps on for shows and special events only, such as land speed record attempts. :p

14. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 26 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]485908[/snapback]</div>
    I took my caps/rings off a couple of weeks ago, haven't had time to mod them yet, but plan to caulk AND use urethane spray foam between the hubcaps and rings. There is a LOT of gravel in my area, and it keeps getting trapped between the hubcaps and rings, and since I drive with the windows cracked most of the time, the rattling drives me NUTS. So I plan on cleaning everything really well, using clear silicone caulk at the inside junction between the caps and rings to keep the foam from pushing out there, then filling the gaps between the caps and rings slowly with foam, trimming it at an angle, so that all rocks are shunted back through the rims.

15. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got off the phone with Mike. He was able to determine that I was sent the wrong size hubcaps.

Although they measure 15" they are for 14" wheels. He is sending me another set of hubcaps, hopefully the right size, and he is covering the shipping.

Nice guy to do business with.

16. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Jul 27 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]486224[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Jul 27 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]486029[/snapback]</div>

:D You will really need to watch out, warp is ok, but I think you will have some trouble during reentry.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 15 2006, 04:19 AM) [snapback]239804[/snapback]</div>
    Will the solid wheel covers prove over time to be a disincentive to checking tyre pressures? Tyre pressures are more critical in getting best mileage than the air flow over the wheels, especially around town.

18. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Yes, you are right tire pressure if vital. That is why I never let having to pop the covers off, stop me from my monthly checks.

19. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 26 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]485908[/snapback]</div>
    I recieved the correct size discs from Mike, and installed them according to the OP's directions, and used 6 rivets/disk. I put silicone caulk on the inside egde of the discs before riveting, but I evidently did not use enough. I then sprayed urethane foam inside. to keep stuff from getting wedged in there.

I had a bit of a problem as described in the Car Show Report, but otherwise I am pleased with the result.

[attachmentid=10731] [attachmentid=10732]

Attached Files:

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 18 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]498273[/snapback]</div>
    Very cool. Love the theme. Yes, presentation is everything. Do you put a hood deflector on the front for every day driving to protect the paint from rock chips?

My brother once placed second in wrestling the same way you got your trophy. The other guy in his weight category placed first. But he did get a letterman's jacket and did get to attend the banquet.

BTW is the badge on your uniform a sewn in thread applique or is it a physical metal badge that can be removed? I asked because I have a number of badges of various designs and a few of them actually beep when you press them. I'm thinking of applying one to my power button.