1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Racing Hubcaps or Aerodynamic Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 18 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]498332[/snapback]</div>
    The badge is printed onto the uniform. I have some cool pins. My favorite is the one that was used in only one episode, where the alien Borath has capture Riker and tries to convice him he is 20 years in the future. It has the Starfleet logo in silver over 4 horizontal gold bars.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 18 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]498374[/snapback]</div>

Ooo. I have that one. It needs a battery but it makes a communicator sound. In fact, I have a ton of them. I have that one, the original silver symbol on gold oval that makes a sound (30th anniversary) and one that doesn't, silver open symbol on two vertical bars, silver symbol on horizontal bar with horizontal open slot (one with sound and one without) and one that's a gold symbol on a horizontal elaborate bar that I think is from one of the movies. I also have some enameled pins including the 25th anniversary one and one for deep space nine. I have a toy phaser full size that works (Ok, it has light and sound but hasn't disintigrated anything) and keychain size that just needs new batteries, Star Fleet Academy T-shirt and of course the requisite tribble. I've got a uniform up in the attic that I made for Halloween. One piece jumpsuit so not very practical if you imbibe a lot of liquids. And I chose to be a red shirt because by that time they were "management". I've got three gold pips on my collar, whatever rank that is.

I guess I should gather all this stuff up and list it on eBay. It's not like I'm going to need it anymore.

But I think I'll put one of the pins that still makes a sound on my power button with museum gel.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 26 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]485908[/snapback]</div>
    I used clear silicone seal, and urethane foam. Unfortunately, I did not use enough seal, and drove the car before the urethane had completely set.

[attachmentid=10872]

Oooops.

Attached Files:

4. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 24 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]501619[/snapback]</div>
    You should probably be able to remove the gunk using acetone, but if you try, make sure to have some rubber protectant at the ready, and follow up each spot you clean with it, as I doubt acetone would be very good for the rubber longterm. Though immediately washing with high pressure water before the tire protectant might help.

When I seal mine, I plan on sealing the edges with clear silicone, letting it dry for a day, then foam it, let it dray for a day or 3, then put them back on. They've been off the car for a few weeks waiting for me to do so, I just can't find the time to wash them really good before starting.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't thought of rocks rattling around in the hubcaps, but if the things were on my car, instead of languishing on the workbench, I would have found that out by now. I have some foam weather-sealing to do around the house, so I'll do the rims at the same time. Hopefully I'll be patient enough to let the foam dry before attempting warp speeds. :)

I used bolts in the existing holes without drilling more, but found the hubcaps were difficult to remove without causing damage. There was too much flex in the trim ring, which wanted to stay on the wheel, and I worried about breaking them. So, out came the bolts, temporarily, while I used double-sided tape between the trim rings and the hubcaps. Much better - the two pieces are securely bonded. The other trick I found is to use plastic bicycle-tire levers to pop the hubcaps off the wheels. This avoids scratching the rims, and it's a heck of alot easier than prying them off with your fingers. Rather than leaving myself stranded on a bike ride, I bought extras for a whole dollar and put them in the car with the pressure guage.

Shelby profita likes this.
  6. keaton1932

keaton1932 New Member

Hey guys,
    I ordered the racing hubcaps and they were delivered today! I got the 16" because I have the '07 Touring edition. But when I went out to the car to investigate how to put them on I couldn't find a trim ring. I took off the plastic hubcap and that's all their was. Did you buy trim rings or am I missing something?
    Help!

7. artrockets

artrockets Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keaton1932 @ Sep 4 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]506978[/snapback]</div>
    I think the Touring edition has nicer/bigger wheels which I don't believe come with trim rings and my guess would be they don't make trim rings for the Touring's 16" wheels...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 31 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]504928[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think double stick tape is gonna be enough to hold a disc on at hign speed.. You put the bolts back in after you taped?

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trim rings are on the 15 inch wheels.
    You might have to attach to your hubcaps.

9. keaton1932

keaton1932 New Member

Thanks for letting me know. A lot of people comment that the wheels look nice the way they are. I just wanted my prius to look a little different than all the rest. There are A LOT of them where I live. My boyfriend wants me to return the racing moons.

10. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that looks cool, i see that you have attached it to the outer ring of the standard wheels...any solutions for us 16 touring folks???

thanx

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never even seen the touring caps in person to see if they might be usable. It might be possible but I think you would have to buy the 16" caps instead of the 15".

12. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    gotcha!!!

thanx

13. aiaman

aiaman aiaman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wanted to post my Prius with the Stainless Steel racing h-caps I recently installed. I have seen the 17" tires and other wheel packages and was very concerned with the change in mpg as well as tire rotation causing issues with calibration of the speedometer. I wanted a great look as well as a reasonable cost while not affecting the normal 'operation' of the system. So I installed 15" Stainless Steel Racing Hubcaps.
    I want to tell Jay Groh thanks for the help on the installation of my caps from his last posting. I installed the stainless caps as I wanted some with a bit more shine than the aluminum ones.
    The drive directly after the install was much smoother and like riding on marshmallows, probably due to the wind now being directed around the wheels. I have not found any issues with the brakes and I do drive daily thru the Boston Big-dig tunnels.
    I got my wheels off EBay for around $70.

2006 Prius
    54 mpg average
    Sirius satellite built in to console
    6-disk cd jukebox
    on-board navigation
    fog lamps, all weather mats
    body side molding

Attached Files:

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just finished the first of my aero hubcaps. I purchased stainless steel dome hubcaps, like hubcap mike sells, (can't get aluminium ones here) and removed the spring steel clips from the back, then using 6 pop rivets and 30 spacer washers plus 6 to assist the rivets grip the trim rings I attached the stainless steel disk to the trim ring. Here is my first, and only one until I get more washers.
    [​IMG]
    By patsparks, shot with FE270,X815,C510 at 2008-08-10

Seems to make the wheels look bigger too.
    I picked stainless steel for lasting good looks.

You can also see my new Michelin Energy XM1+ tyre!! Very good tyres so far, good grip and almost silent compared to the old tyres. A set of 4 cost me $576 AU

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finished doing my stainless steel hubcaps.
    [​IMG]
    By patsparks, shot with FE270,X815,C510 at 2008-08-15
    [​IMG]

To make these I used stainless steel hubcaps but removed the original clips allowing me to rivet the caps to the Prius trim rings.
    [​IMG]
    There are 5 washers between the hub cap and the trim ring on each rivet and a washer behind the trim ring to prevent cracking.

16. Bernie S

Bernie S New Member

Hello.
    Got a little problem concerning these hub caps.
    The diameter of my prius plastic caps is 43,5 cm, and 16 inches is 40,64 cm, so 16 inch cap will be to small.
    It looks like I need to buy the 17 inch hub caps, right ?
    On Hub cap Mikes site the dia on the 17 inch cap is: 16 - 7/8.
    How much is 7/8 in centimeters?
    BR
    Bernie

17. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how big are your wheels?

18. Bernie S

Bernie S New Member

I have 16 inch wheels, and the stock hub caps is 43,5 cm in dia, and 16 inch racing caps is 40,6 cm in dia...

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, Pat. Nice wheels! I didn't realise how similar our cars are. :)

Attached Files:

20. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the 15 inch racing hubcaps and they fit the stock trim rings fine. I think your fine if you get the 16 inch hubcaps.