1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Racing Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mjms2b, May 13, 2007.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 6 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]508029[/snapback]</div>
    I've just lost interest in it. I got it when I was 17 years old, now I'm 23 and driving a Prius looking to buy a house... I've certainly wised up since those days, so I no longer have a budget for that car to keep modifying it and playing with it, race tracks are too expensive and I can't even imagine if something on it broke (Super Coupes are quite notorious for breaking and especially blowing head gaskets, although not so much in the later '94 and '95 model years which I rarely had minor problems with it).

Basically it just boils down that my desires have changed. I'd rather have a house than a supercharged money pit, the Prius is a much more economical and efficient way to get to a house by saving me over the long run. So, by not having any budget for the Super Coupe it is no longer any fun (it runs on premium fuel only by the way...) so it's rarely been driven. In the last three years it's tallied up somewhere around 7,000 miles, about 4,000 of that was driving it to Utah and back. I just figured I've had my fun with it, and my fun seems to be over... why not let someone else have a go at it. (the extra cash towards the downpayment on a house doesn't hurt either)

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Sep 6 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]508043[/snapback]</div>
    Well thought out. Hopefully you've kept some very small reminder of both the fun and the cost of that car!

3. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ May 14 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]441974[/snapback]</div>

Same road, but a different downhill, I took it to 109. Computer limits it to 108, downhill gains me an extra mile. Need to go down a steeper hill next time see if I can also take it to 118 like you, or maybe even 119 and set a new world record.. ;-)

P.S. That's still EXACTLY two times faster than my H1 which tops at 55 mph, or 60 in overspeed, in the red.

4. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to let you know what the Canadian model can do. I've got it to 108 mph last night. It's not a land speed record but one thing that I've noticed is that it gets there quite easily. B)

It would be interesting to see how much faster it would go without the speed limiter :rolleyes:

5. Tojo

Tojo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll add my $.02 as well.

107 empty, flat freeway. Got there and back to normal speeds with no problem and the car was steady as a rock.

6. laurence_fowler

laurence_fowler New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Many people note the calming effect of Prius driving. I personally think that never feeling a shift kick has a lot to do with it, just smooth acceleration and cruising.
    [/quote]

The MAIN thing is to --never-- block other people. So what if you don't want to go as fast. Move one lane right and get out of the way. In Germany (which has a lot smarter traffic policies than the US) you can lose your license if you keep getting in the way of other people.

I seriusly disagree with this. In the UK we have very few motorways (highways) with more than three lanes and many are just two. If you are passing traffic and some idiot races up behind you, you have a choice: slow down (considerably) and let the driver pass (rewarding his agression) or - as I do - slow right down and break hard occasionally until the driver backs off.

I know that the US is different: I have driven on the huge freeways in Florida where it is possible to move aside to let idiots pass without having to slow down, but it wouldn't work in England.

7. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I generally move over to let people pass, but there are a few exceptions. Most often the freeways where I live are generally crowded, I will often drive in the fast lane keeping a reasonable distance between me and the car in front of me. Who is doing the same to the car in front of him, etc. Then some dude will come up behind me and start riding up my A$$. I hate that. I would like to go faster too, but due to traffic I cant. It is not like he is some sort of emergency vehicle. I'm not going to get out of his way, since I would go faster if I could too.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If all cars (including non-hybrids) had a dash like a Prius, traffic would slow down a little bit. It makes you much more aware of speed than the analog speedometer.

9. prius2go

prius2go Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaurenceUK @ Nov 9 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]537189[/snapback]</div>
    I think it depends which driving school

I was taught that if someone wants to come past - let them,
    theyre better off away into the distance than stuck to your bumper.
    Even on a normal road I've felt it courtesy to help someone past, by slowing and signalling left to let them pass when convenient.
    It's nothing to do with aggression - unless we're deliberately trying to hold someone up. :rolleyes:
    There's also an offence something like 'care for other road users'

10. silverbell

silverbell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJGreen @ May 13 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]441287[/snapback]</div>
    I've only been driving my Prius in the last two weeks and all I can say is it has changed my driving paradigm night and day. Where I used to do 80 - 85 mph cruising on the left lane in the freeway on my Lexus SC430, with Prius I look for slow moving semitrucks so I can follow them at 50mph. Where before I hated sitting on stoplights and get anxiety attack over the long wait, I don't care about it now with the Prius. The quest to extract as much mileage out of every gallon of gas is an exciting game for every trip that I make. I don't know up to when this thrill will last. I don't know when I'll check the Prius' top speed but this thread has sparked my curiosity hmmmm. On the Lexus, it topped at 153 along 99 freeway on the way to Merced from Los Angeles one early Saturday morning.

By the way, I've hit 51.4 average MPG today (378 miles), my highest so far! I have 37/35 air on Kumho 758 185/65/15 tires. This is an awesome car!

11. Wowsers

Wowsers New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I was googling " Racing Prius " because I read there really was one and this thread popped up. Just wanted to chime in and I'll be on my way.

I'm assuming these posts aren't in jest; if that is incorrect then forgive me. The speeds you're all listing are in fact slow. Very honestly.

Now, back to the quoted text, what you posted there Olson is in fact horribly inaccurate. If you cane a Prius it will get horrible mpg ( for it ). As has been posted on this site with the Top Gear test. Now lets not forget you can get MORE mpg and MORE performance at LESS cost with a diesel car.

Not to mention that you'd do less harm to the environment if you bought an older used car and just used that. Would cost less as well.

Anyway, carry on boys! I just couldn't resist.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You couldn't resist showing off your ignorance by posting stuff that has been debunked by scientists, engineers and economists? Please, next time do a little critical thinking before you start writing.

1 person likes this.