1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rack and Pinion aka steering rack replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, May 9, 2018.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay

I have discovered the following issue on my 2004 Toyota Prius . . . the RACK and PINION are toast , done, worn out....

The noise I can created just by turning steering wheel with vehicle powered on and complete power down is not a pleasant sound.... Not that my hearing is highly refined however I can actually hear the metal on metal movement and worn somewhat popping sound of the individual metal cog contacting the rack as I turn steer wheel. A unsettle noise which makes one (that's me) realize that will require some time labor, and replacement part ….

Does anyone first hand have knowledge about removal process and more specific once you have remove all mounting bolts, outer tie rods, loosen and remove steer joint spline connection,

I am making the assumption that the rack and pinion will have clearance out of the wheel wells at some desired time

Sezy likes this.
  2. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update
    FYI
    Okay removal of steering rack is relative straight forward(no wire harness to disconnect yet)

center vehicle front tires straight
    remove/chock

lock down steering wheel/chock

loosen remove outer tie rod bolts L/R

loosen strut brace vertical tie rod thingy

remove steer u joint, hardware, boot, four rack bolts etc

current pricing range for steering rack

Ebay $780 (high) to $119 (low) reman
    Ebay used $300 to $80
    carparts.com $398 reman
    summit race $139 reman
    rockauto $140 reman
    LHK keystone $50 used

This takes me to following issues

Really do not like used parts

do like reman because there is some display or appearance of business warranty

have had better experience with A1 cardone than dorman however both have sold out to china mfg.

Sezy likes this.
  3. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Take it this fixed your issue? Just replaced my steering column down the the intermittent shaft and still have some wheel play. Was thinking if it bugs me still after trying different tires I'd replace the lower rack and pinion.