1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Coolant Bleed Valve Leaking, Valve Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chuckPris, Sep 2, 2021.

1. chuckPris

chuckPris New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Help!

I'm trying to bleed my radiator coolant system using a tube and idling the car. The problem is that the bleeder valve is leaking when I loosen it to burp the air. The side connector where I attach my tube is solid, but the coolant seems leaks out the top seam.

I can't find a replacement part number, nor tutorials on replacing the part. Has anyone gone through this before? Screenshot_20210902-190946.png

2. chuckPris

chuckPris New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I should mention, this leak is substantial and lot of fluid is lost.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can you tighten it and stop the leak?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the copy of the repair manual I'm looking at, that valve is never opened while the engine or CHRS pump is running.

It is opened in step e, to allow air escape while pouring coolant in, then closed in step g before running the CHRS pump active test.

It is then reopened in step n, after the CHRS pumping is done, to allow air escape while topping the coolant off. Then it's closed again in step p before idling the engine up to operating temperature.

So it seems in Toyota's procedures, that valve is never going to be open while the coolant is circulating or under pressure. So they probably just don't care much that it might be leaky if opened under those conditions.

Fred_H likes this.