1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Cooling Fans Run Constantly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cory151, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks I'll look for that

Thank you for the wiring diagram I am on my phone so I can't view it but I will check it when I get to my desktop. I only have Apple products so I will not be purchasing the tech stream as it will not install on my machine. Also I purchased the Bentley publishing manual at the recommendation of others on the site so technically I do have a manual.

I know the rebuilder personally, and he claims he would never directly or purposefully wire a fan to run constantly.

I'm getting 44mpg how the car runs now so it's not a huge deal breaker.

Based on the diagram (that was so nicely provided, thank you exstudent) it almost has to be the Pressure switch (P1) or Water Temp (W4), if it was wired correctely, if not its getting IGN ON 12v+

Does that make sense?

#21 Cory151, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The setup is as follows from the above diagram.
    Relay 3 energized = both fans half speed.
    Relay 1 energized = rad fan full speed
    Relay 3&2 energized = AC fan only full speed
    Relay 3&1 energized = both fans full speed

So if both fans are running, and the wiring is correct relay 3 is stuck or energized. Or 3&1 are energized. If pulling those relays does not stop the fans they have been wired to an ignition feed.

John (Britprius)

The diagrams I have are somewhat more detailed with added complexity.

AC 1of2.jpg AC 2of2.jpg
    John (Britprius)

#22 Britprius, Mar 6, 2015
    stonerider likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Knew someone could decipher the elec diagram better than I can.

MiniVCI is beyond invaluable. People w/ Macs have used it w/o problem on this Forum. There is some Windows emulation mode or software you would have to get though. If you have immediate friends or friend-of-a-friend in IT, they probably have obsolete XP based laptop(s) laying around, and could donate one to you. Or you could buy an XP laptop on Craigslist for <$75 (probably $50 would be an acceptable price for seller).

4. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found some fresh electrical wire (see where the screwdriver is pointing) I wonder if that is my issue. Can anyone confirm or deny if that small yellow plug just to the right of my screwdriver is the r134 pressure switch?

Yes when I pull relay #3 both fans stop running, when I plug the relay back in they start running again.

Attached Files:

#24 Cory151, Mar 6, 2015
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like I already said in this topic only problem with Fan relay 3, coolant temp switch, wiring or control units (very unlikely) would cause bough fans to run. And OP (Cory151) did already check that relay.

So basically only wiring and coolant temp switch are left. R134 pressure switch would only run one fan so it’s NOT the problem here.

Coolant temp switch is at the lower right side (passenger side for left hand drive) corner of the radiator. Here http://www.radiator-pros.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/r/cr2758.jpg you can see its place. It’s the lowest on the right side.

If you unplug it and radiators fans stop then that switch is faulty. If fans don’t stop look that wire thought. If you can’t see anything then you need to start measuring that your Prius is wired as it should be.

#25 valde3, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok so if I am understanding you correctly i should unplug the passenger side temp sensor to see if that turns the fans on, otherwise it's the wiring by my screwdriver.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes you should try to unplug it and see if fans turn OFF. I don’t know what wire that is it may or may not be the problem.

8. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok. With the car (and fans) running when I unplug that sensors both fans stop. When I plug it in they start again.

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So the switch is the problem. And wiring is ok. You just need to put in new (or used) in there. It’s in inverter cooling loop so filling the system and bleeding it is easy.

Here is the one link to the part Genuine Toyota 04 09 Prius Coolant Temperature Fan Switch 89427 47010 | eBay It’s tightened to 7Nm or 61in-lbs.

Here’s video on inverter coolant change Inverter coolant change: DIY video posted | PriusChat You don’t need to open the drain bolt if you don’t want to since coolant will drain out when you remove that switch. But you will need that video to fill the system.

#29 valde3, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  10. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks you so much valde3 I'll let you know after I get the part and change it out.
    So it must be wired correctly then because if it was wired backwards the fans would not run at all correct?

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can easily test the AC part of the wiring. Now by unplugging that switch or later when new switch is installed. Just turn the AC to max and fans should run.

ECU side is bit harder to test since fans turn on at 96c or 205F and higher. It’s hard to get Prius engine that hot and then if it doesn’t work you don’t have temp gauge to tell you it. If you have some device with engine temp display or mini-vci its easier.

But logically there’s only one fault. Probably when you take the old sensor out it has taken a hit in the crash but rebuilder just put it in the new radiator.

Britprius likes this.
  12. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    image.jpg So this is the sensor I am replacing, correct? The same one I unplugged?

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes but actually it’s a switch. It even looks broken and bended in your picture.

Just unplug it. Have bucket under it to collect inverter coolant. Remove it. Put new one in. plug it in. Fill the inverter cooling system with Toyota SLLC and get rid of air like in that video.

14. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What does the inverter coolant have to do with the main radiator fans ?........or the "high temp" switch for the inverter coolant either ??

I strongly suspect NOTHING. :)

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry I don’t get what you are talking about. That is a switch turns the fans on if inverter coolant gets too hot. It is in the radiator in the inverter coolant side. Bottom side of the radiator is for the inverter coolant. So if you remove it inverter coolant will get out from its hole.

Fans can also be turned on by the AC or by ECU. But in this case it is faulty inverter coolant temp switch that keeps the fans running all the time.

16. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK I don't KNOW this but I strongly suspect that there is another sensor on the main coolant loop somewhere too.........and that the system will not sense an engine overheat by virtue of the inverter coolant loop. The ECU should have it's own sensor to detect cold start and overheat and that could cause the fans to run continuously too.

The inverter could be HOT when the engine is not and vice-versa.

17. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course engine has its own temp sensor. But it doesn’t matter here since it’s the faulty inverter coolant temp switch that is turning the fans on all the time.

#37 valde3, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  18. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am truly sorry for MY confusion.
    It was not clear, at least to me, from the previous posts which sensor/switch was being dealt with. :(

19. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Valde3 you absolutely nailed that diagnosis, it was in fact the coolant sensor. Great job(y), you obviously know your stuff. I'd also like thank the people that posted up the wiring diagrams which allowed me to greatly narrow my search.

Now Im wondering if I had scanned it if there is actually some indicator of a busted sensor? I do know when I unplug the sensor with the car in READY it threw a code, but I forgot to scan it. Oh well.

Thanks again for the help, hopefully I can pay it forward from the experience gained.

20. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Likely not. It will know if the sensor is not connected at all but has no way to tell if it is giving out an incorrect reading.