1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Outlet (Upper) Hose Connection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spitfire9200, Jul 21, 2018.

1. spitfire9200

spitfire9200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi everyone,

I have a new to me 2007 Prius with about 130,000 miles and have a question about the upper radiator hose. I'm not familiar with other Prius's, but it looks like the hose isn't seated & clamped all the way on the radiator? There's a gap (circled in image below). Is it like that from the factory? I can't find any pictures online to compare it to. The lower hose looks to have the same gap, but I forgot to take a pic. Apologies if this is obvious; I searched a ton before posting. It does feel secure, though.

I'm taking care of a bunch of maintenance and this caught my eye.

Thank you in advance and take care!

[​IMG]

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main consideration is that the hose needs to be sufficiently pushed onto the radiator spout so that the clamp is resting fully on the spout. That appears to be the case when looking at your photo, and I see no signs of coolant leaking in that area, so no worries.

Radiator hoses typically are not a big maintenance issue on the Prius. My 2004 had 231K miles when I sold it, and the original equipment hoses were still pliable and in good condition.

The engine doesn't produce that much heat so the radiator and the hoses will typically have a very long service life.

edthefox5 and johnjohnchu like this.
  3. spitfire9200

spitfire9200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks Patrick! The Prius must have a long radiator spout. I compared it to a few other cars that had them pushed flush with the radiator; that's why I was a bit concerned. Strangely, I also couldn't find a single photo of the upper house connections online.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes the hoses on mine look good too. But take care of that hose clamp spray a little lubricant on it so it wont corrode.

5. spitfire9200

spitfire9200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good advice - any recommendations?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did my weekly oil checks of my cars and looked at your hose and mine looks just like yours because the
    Metal neck that comes out of the rad is tilted away from the rad so the hose behind that hose can pass behind it. The neck is tiled and designed to allow clearance of the inverter coolant have which shares the bottom of the ice rad.

You can see how tilted away that hose is in your picture.

If you look closer there’s a metal nub on that neck so the hose cannot go any further on that neck.
    That neck is very long. Has a straight part and a tilted part. The hose is on the tilted part.

As far as anti metal corrosion lubricant the best on the market is CSP SPRAY at Home Depot.
    Made by PB BLASTER does not smell and it’s basicly spray grease. It’s on everything in my cars and no rust anywhere no squeaks no rattles.