1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio and 12v in console not working! Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joni Martin, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Joni Martin

Joni Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I recently bought a used 2008 Prius. Got a great deal BUT, the radio does not work and the 12v plug in inside the console does not work. If I hit the “audio” button on my screen, it just says it’s off. I’ve read several forums, I tried holding the mode button on my steering wheel with no luck. It does not make beep noises. It just stays off. I checked all the fuses in the panel by the drivers seat. No luck. This was a corporate vehicle, and it has a millennium (ugly disc) antenna extender on the roof. There are wires in the left cubby in the hatchback that are not hooked up, I assumed it would be from that antenna. I also did t know of some companies disable the radio in company cars?! I drive an ambulance and we are not supposed to use it, so didn’t know of the corporate thing was relevant??
    I’m looking for ANY ideas of an issue that would cause the 12v and the radio not to work. I did look for and don’t see any rodent damage to wires.

2. Joni Martin

Joni Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I also checked the fuses under the hood. All fine.

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is in the "is it plugged in" category of answers, but did you push the little rectangular power button that turns the radio on?

The 12V outlet you are referring to is the one between the front seats, or the one on the lower part of the dash on the passenger side? Whichever it is, is the other one working?

See this thread, with respect to fuses:
    Radio Fuse? | PriusChat

If the radio was intentionally disabled they probably just pulled the wiring harness plug off the actual radio, but on this car I'm not sure where that would be. Part of the MFD maybe?

4. Joni Martin

Joni Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just tote the console apart (after checking fuses). It was unplugged! I wonder if it’s a corporate thing. Now I have it hooked up but have a red triangle. Reading posts has told me it may just go away.

5. Joni Martin

Joni Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Meant dash, not console. Restarted 3 times and red triangle is gone.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    radio and 12v working?