1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio buttons failing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PA, Jun 2, 2009.

1. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do not try to fix it !!! Go straight to a Toyota dealer and have it verified as problematic. That may be the only way to assure Toyota cooperation. I just had the "I don't know what to do" statement from my service representative. She suggested I need to speak directly with Toyota since she can not help me without their having seen the problem themselves. "Hell hath no furry..." and I'm not even female ! :mad:
    PHP:

2. RsSharKy

RsSharKy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update from my visit
    none of those buttons were working on my way to Toyota
    start explaining the issue, the tech not surprised about it
    waited for an hour
    service advisor told me that " everything works fine! "
    they couldn't duplicate the problem that I was having
    the only thing they did today was order me the parts for the aux static noise
    i just don't understand why i have to wait an hour for " no problem! "

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time the buttons fail, make a short video of them failing and demand that they fix it. This problem will not go away on its own, and you should have them fix it while it's still under warranty.

4. KLear

KLear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add me to the list. My power button failed and I had to use the steering controls. The power button would not power down, but after a few minutes it worked fine. The frustrating thing with electrical issues such as these (I have had a problem with the stick shift "sticking") is that they must occur more consistently in order to have the techs believe your. Or have a video camera available at the right time!

5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Remember do NOT try to fix it if you have a repeat. Record and/or go directly to a nearby Toyota dealer for confirmation. :car:

6. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well today the radio buttons didn't work again, I couldn't even adjust the volume. It was cold and rainy outside, unlike the hot temps when it happened last time. I was however, able to control the radio with the steering wheel radio buttons. I banged on the dash next to the radio a few times and got them to work. Probably won't last long. This issue is really starting to piss me off! I wish someone on this forum could find a fix, besides taking it to a "Stealership" to be gouged.

7. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Following is a link that may help if you're a dyi type. I saw a post and saved it. I really don't know enough to endorse but better than nothing. :rolleyes:
    Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair

8. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I too had my radio power button fail, I was unable to turn the radio off. Upon my ride home from work the power button was working?

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This link just shows how to remove the MFD to send in for repair, not fix the radio button issue. But I already know how to remove the radio, just not how to fix the problem.

10. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't seen anyone repair one...this site would be for purchasing a used replacement unit. Perhaps someone has a suggestion :confused:

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What I saw on that site was for the MFD, not the radio unit.

12. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is this link any good?
    Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV
    Again, not an endorsement but a possibility.:rolleyes:

13. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the controls on the steering wheel work, but not on the dash, then it is most likely a bad contact in the switch itself. You can disconnect the cable from the radio, and with an ohmeter, test the switches for operation. This is fairly simple. If you cannot do it yourself, bring it to any shop that does auto radio repair and ask them to do it.
    If you need instructions, and want to try to tackle this yourself, let me know and I will try to help.

15. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it was already determined that the cause was bad contacts within the radio head unit. The problem is that the button panel on the radio can't be removed, at least not easily. Probably one reason why Toyota's response is to replace the whole radio unit. The problem is this isn't a real fix, it's only a short term solution and the replacement radio will eventually suffer the same fate.

Our hope would be for a forum member to document their attempt at a real fix.

16. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I'm reading all this with interest. My system is working fine, but I'm curious as to what the failure mode is. If anyone here that's already replaced their unit would be willing to send me the old one, I'd by happy to do a failure analysis on it and post the results. Maybe it's an easy fix?

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Cleaning any corrosion from the contacts is easy. Getting to the contacts inside the radio head is not, because as I understand it that area is sealed.

18. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't yet know if it is corrosion. For example, the early MFD's had a known problem with solder joint fracture. It could be something similar going on in the head unit. I'd like to know some facts rather than speculate, which why I offered to do a failure analysis.

Most of the electronic systems on the Prius are engineered and built very well, which is why I'm very curious about "common" failures like this.

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well you are correct, it could be a solder joint fracture. Good luck finding an old radio unit that has the issue. Those that have had the radio fixed at a dealership or most anywhere, have to give up the old radio or pay a core charge. I think our best bet is for someone to purchase an used radio unit that doesn't work and tear it apart.

20. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I suspect some people that are out of warranty now will buy a salvage unit from someone like AutoBeYours or Taylor Automotive to get their system working again. If so, they will not have to return the core and will have a broken one sitting around.