1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio display turns off on its own, bu no affect to sound.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kevelev, Dec 25, 2018.

1. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 Toyota Prius II. It has the basic display which has worked fine up till now, one for radio and one for climate controls. What I'm noticing is that the upper display that's used for the radio is just going blank as if it was turned off. Fortunately the sound is unaltered when this happens, but it is annoying and if I want to change the station I can't see it. When I tap on the display the image comes back, but only lasts for a second or so. It seems that maybe there is a loose wire that has an intermittent connection. Anybody ever see this before?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve had this before on our 2010 II and every time it happens, I push on the display and the text returns.

Since this is intermittent and is reset by pushing on the radio and it resolves, I’ve not investigated further.

But it is a phenomenon I have experience with.

Happy holidays (y).

Grit likes this.
  3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's certainly not a loose wire if the screen returns when you merely touch it. I would search the menus until I found a setting that can turn the display off and on. Does that fix it?

4. High Mileage

High Mileage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kevelev, I had this same thing happen to my 2010 Prius II with the standard radio. I am now on my 3rd radio
    The first radio was doing exactly as yours, the display would go blank on its own but music kept playing. I was also having issues with the volume knob not operating consistently when trying to raise/lower the volume. I found a used replacement on Ebay for ~$25.
    The replacement radio worked fine for about 3 years, when the volume knob starting reacting like the first unit. I purchased radio #3 again on Ebay for ~$30 in August of 2018. So far it is working well. I did take unit #2 apart and plan to try some contact cleaner on the volume knob to see if that might fix it. I would probably try harder to fix one of them, but for $25-30 for a used radio that works its hasn't been worth my time. Hope this helps.