1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio/GPS Freezing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by supermac369, Mar 25, 2020.

1. supermac369

supermac369 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I have a random issue and couldn’t really find anything useful on Google, wondering if anybody has experienced the same and found a solution. I bought a 2015 Prius Three about 7 months ago and love it, but in the past couple of weeks the radio and GPS in the center console will occasionally freeze. It happens on startup, and it’s seemingly random. It will usually get stuck on the “audio off” screen, and while it responds to me pushing the power and volume buttons, the screen never changes and I can’t change the source. The Apps screen for GPS and etc, and the phone screen will not function either. The touchscreen does work, as pushing the source button for example makes it light up and beep like I pressed it but nothing happens. The Car button for the fuel economy screen works completely fine. The setup screen mostly works, I can change settings under General and Vehicle, but touching Bluetooth or Audio do nothing.

Sometimes (not always) when it does this it’ll get stuck on the backup camera for a few minutes, still displaying even after I shift to drive. After a minute it’ll go black. Or it’ll get stuck on the Toyota logo for a minute (pushing a button will switch the screen but it still won’t respond).

I’ve tried finding a place to stop, turn off the car, wait a moment and start up again, that has fixed it once or twice but mostly it does not. Sometimes after driving a while and doing other errands it’ll fix itself the next time I start the car. Twice it restarted the screen while I was driving and started working.

So I’ve got no idea, the rest of the car is totally fine, if just looks like the computer running the entertainment system is freezing. It’s not critical but it is frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I’m trying to avoid going to the dealer since I don’t know if and when I’ll be furloughed during The Plague™️... appreciate it if anybody has any tips!!

Edit: sometimes it seems a common factor is if it’s been sitting in the hot sun for a while but not always. It is in Florida so that’s pretty much everyday anyway.

2. RocotoRelleno

RocotoRelleno New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have this issue now in my 2013 along with a seemingly bad battery with 178000 miles on it..... but I got no warning lights so they say this thing runs great.... I'm ready for anything new with a normal system I can take to any mechanic to fix.