1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Power Bypass Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hampsterMobile, Dec 16, 2018.

1. hampsterMobile

hampsterMobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2014 Prius 2. I am looking for the best way to install a single pole double throw SPDT switch so that I can turn on the radio at any time with out the key. This is normally done but putting a switch in the radio power feed circuit and then connecting the third pole to constant power via a fuse.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I were you, I'd wire a whole new system via a cable direct from the battery pack to the front of the car and wire in a USB port, a second cigarette lighter socket and heck why not wire in a small power inverter so you can plug in your laptop and other low power stuff too.

As for wiring in a bypass to the car stereo, I'd like to learn how that's done, sounds like a challenge for sure.

One of the nice things about using the radio in ACC mode on the Prius rather than wiring it out of the system is that it has a timer and shuts off after an hour so you don't have to worry about forgetting it and draining your battery down.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, beware the prius battery, sounds like a recipe for disaster

Montgomery likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the only thing I don't like about the Prius. I have detailed all my prior cars while listening to the car radio. I tried that with a Prius and "surprise" , you can't !! The battery is not made to drain on its own and yes, it shuts off. So now I detail my car when I can in my garage and use my blue tooth JBL speaker and Samsung Note8 to catch sports, music, inspirational messages, etc.