1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio questions/confirmations

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Ifixthings, May 14, 2020.

1. Ifixthings

Ifixthings New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I've done some searching, pretty sure I got the answer to my questions, but I'd like a confirmation before I start buying parts and digging through things.

My 02 Prius, everything works, for the most part.

Blower motor has some noise, and didn't initially turn on when first attempted, though now after I've been using it, it seems to work consistently.
    I intend to replace the blower motor and the resistor/control module.

Radio, and here is where I need the help. Display has lines in the screen until warmed up, no biggy, I can get another screen off ebay, hold this one until I can get someone to tear into it and fix the connection that's apparently loose.
    But, I have ZERO volume at any volume level. I've been looking at radios on ebay, checked through posts on here, I would like to confirm, is the "amp" built into the "cassette deck"? The deck has the primary connectors, including the antenna connector, so to me that seems like the radio is in the casette deck, rather than the faceplate controls. Is this correct? If so, I'll order a new deck.

Additionally, are these cars prewired to add in the navigation, where I could just drop in the missing modules, or would that require wiring everything in from scratch? Not a priority, and I realize even the newest maps for the system are old, it's more a curiosity than anything at this point, and more about potential mods to the system rather than use of factory navigation.

2. Ifixthings

Ifixthings New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also, can anyone tell me why post was needed to be moderated before posting?

3. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am not sure I can answer any of your questions other than to acknowledge I’m having the same issue as this on my 2002 Prius. I don’t drive it much at all.

<<Display has lines in the screen until warmed up, no biggy, I can get another screen off ebay, hold this one until I can get someone to tear into it and fix the connection that's apparently loose. >>

My lines also disappear after a few moments. I’m curious to know how you know to fix this and where I could find more details. I can fix a few things but don’t know enough if it’s worthy of a fix or replace or what?

For those of you in the Coronavirus era not using your Prius, just an FYI, I’m at just about 98,000 miles today. I’ll likely drive a total of less than 125 miles this year which is a normal year for me anyhow. Drive it once every two to three weeks for a 1-2 mile grocery or prescription run but that’s it. I consistently have 12 volt battery issues. I’ve discovered that disarming the alarm system during this downtime is less jarring on the 12V battery and it’s probably a good idea to start it at least once a week for a few minutes otherwise you could be going through batteries every year or so depending upon your use. My booster pac was an excellent investment.

As far as your moderation of post, I suspect it’s because you are a relatively new member.

Hope you are enjoying the Prius. Toyota has given me nearly 20 years and I don’t see any reason to replace this vehicle at this time. It’s a wonderful grocery-getter at this point.

davecook89t likes this.
  4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I guess that means you are the original owner. Just curious, did you have to replace or refurbish the HV battery at any point?

5. Ifixthings

Ifixthings New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sandy, my knowledge regarding the lines on the screen is a fairly general electronics knowledge. The lines suggest a loosening connection somewhere, either a cable, at a chip, somewhere. As it warms up the connection solidifies and the lines go away

6. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok, that’s good to know. Thanks for the reply. Definitely something worth investigating if and when it goes out all together.

7. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, I am original owner. Waited six months for the car to be delivered. I have never replaced the battery. I read the batteries can last well into over 100K, even dare I say up to 200K.

The vehicle has been so good to me and for me for 18+ years and I don’t see any reason to replace it right now. The HV system seems to be working fine and I’m very pleased after about 18+ years as the date of this posting.

davecook89t likes this.
  8. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We are at 286k with our Gen 2, but it is generally accepted by most members here that the batteries on these cars benefit from frequent use, which tends to run up their mileage, so I don't think our car is that unusual, particularly because our battery is 5 years newer than yours. It sounds like you have fewer miles on your car, which would make it all that more unusual for yours to last 18 years. In fact, I wonder if that is some kind of record. The only way I can see that happening is if you drove it almost every day, but only a few miles each time. I feel like you should start a new thread to see if anyone can beat your record of 18+ years on the original battery!

Montgomery likes this.
  9. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sandy, if it's of any use to you, my daughter was once taking our '03 off to school where it would mostly just be sitting - used a bit like you use yours for the occasional trip to the store or whatever. I thought that there might be a small parasitic draw on the 12V (still might be, but it's home and getting used so haven't had trouble). So I rigged up one of these for her. You push down on the orange key, turn 90deg and the key pops out and breaks the connection. When you're ready to go, pop it in, turn 90deg.

I just bought a couple of lengths of cable from an auto parts store, and ran it (negative side) up the back seat so she didn't have to go to the trunk (see attached). It works...Of course, you lose a lot of the stuff in memory whenever you use it.
    [​IMG]