1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio quit working all together, replacement doesn't work either.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DrPepperholik, Jul 9, 2014.

1. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Isn't that how car dealerships operate? ;)

hybridbear and ftl like this.
  2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I spent months researching dealerships before I bought my last car. Every dealer has their share of good and bad reviews, but after reading a lot of customer comments, it's obvious that some dealers try a lot harder to provide a positive customer experience than others. It's my wish that all dealers will be more accountable for their business practices in the new information age, where it's much easier for anyone to research how well they have conducted their business.

Back home on the farm, we lived in a tight-knit community where neighbors had to be good to each other, otherwise word got around very quickly whether someone was good to deal with or not. I'm hoping the internet brings people together in a similar way.

#22 GregP507, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too wanted a good dealer and I think I got a good one myself. Interestingly the one my sister bought from last year wouldn't return my calls so I dismissed them as an option. At first they were good but then after I asked about finding a car with specific options (Blizzard Pearl and Solar panel, not that bad) he said he'd look into it but never called/emailed me back. She's been happy with them and their level of service. I think I possibly could have gotten a better deal there as they had a Prius Four in stock with a solar panel and in Blizzard Pearl where as the one I got (Prius Three in Blizzard Pearl with solar panel) was a dealer trade for the one I did business with. I don't think the savings would have been steep ($1,000 or more) so it doesn't keep me up at night.

When I had my Mustang, shortly before I sold it the seat motor crapped out. I still had a warranty and took it to the local dealer to fix. I did not purchase from them in 2012 when I got the car new because they didn't call me back about getting what I wanted in stock (I'm noticing a theme here, I know exactly what I want and if they won't bother to find it, I don't want to mess with them) so I ended up at a dealership an hour away to get one they had in stock. The local Ford dealership owner is a jerk, he was a customer at the pharmacy I worked in during college and he was rude for no reason. Since I work in town now I decided just to take it there. They screwed up so bad. I dropped it off in the AM and they gave me a ride to work. An hour after dropping me off they call to say they couldn't duplicate the problem. I told him there was a problem and asked if they could keep trying to duplicate it. At 4:30 PM I called to check on it as I hadn't heard anything. He called me back at 4:40 PM and said they got it to fail and asked if I was going to leave it. After reminding him that I told him in the morning I needed shuttle service to and from work he said the driver had left for the day, thus stranding me at work. They had to order the part and he'd call when it was in and asked if I just wanted to leave my car as they close at 6 or he could leave the keys in it. I told him to leave the keys inside and lock it, I'll be by to get it. That was a Thursday and he said the part would be in Monday morning if I wanted to drop my car off that morning. I didn't, I never heard from them on Monday. Tuesday he calls and says the part came in, I tell him I'll bring it in on Wednesday. I was on a Mustang forum and Ford customer service reps are on there and help out the members a lot! I mentioned my problem there and she chimed in and set me up with a rental car. When I brought my car in Wednesday I informed the guy that Ford was setting me up with a rental car. He called Enterprise, they got me, I picked up a rental and went about my business. He calls to say my car is ready and I tell him I'll get it after work and to leave the keys inside. End of the day comes, I turn in my rental and go pick up my car. There is seat foam sticking out the side where the hinge is for the seat back, there are 2 random plastic parts in the back seat and my keys are nowhere to be found. At this point I'm fuming mad. The service department is closed so I go inside to speak with the general manager. I explain the situation to him and he apologizes, looks at my car, tries calling the service area to see if anyone is around still and in the end gives me a used car to drive that day and says he'll get mine taken care of tomorrow morning. I told him I spoke with someone at Ford and he asks if the service guys knew Ford was watching this case, I told him they don't as I never mentioned it. Next day around lunch I get a call from the GM and he says they have my car ready, I go over during lunch and they not only have it ready but they have it washed and vacuumed. The GM mentions to me that the service guy says "She was blasting us on Facebook" after I tweeted about this dealership's horrible customer service. I also gave a review on Google. Two weeks later I sold the car and got my Prius.

Social media makes a difference too, especially with companies watching their customer reviews. I hope now those guys are all more aware of how their quality of work is being reviewed so they can step things up a bit.

hybridbear and GregP507 like this.
  4. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I wouldn't rule out the new one being bad as well. I spent $1100 on a new high end head unit for the Prius and learned it was defective after it (and the mic, gps antenna + wiring) was installed. Also a DLP TV I bought in 2005 was dead on arrival as well. Now that I think about it, I have the worst luck with electronics as many things I've bought in the past arrived a lemon!

5. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They got her Bluetooth and GPS working but still no radio. Now they think it's the amplifier. So far, the new one works the way it's supposed to, except the radio. It sucks that they didn't consider smaller things first, like amplifier or antenna so they had to waste so much time putzing with the HUD.