1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Station Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by darkgiant, Oct 2, 2017.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am currently working on our 2005 Prius that has the JBL package with GPS, fog lights and those tiny speakers in the back doors. We are experiencing an issue where when listening to several AM stations, the quality of the station isn't great as it is riddled with a lot of static noise, this also seems existent on several FM stations such as NPR, though not as bad, it is pretty bad. But other stations such as the local news seem to work good enough.

I at first tried a new antenna, it didn't work, then I tried an antenna from another Gen 2 Prius (that has no issues with radio) and it didn't solve the problem. I even tried the antenna that was originally attached to this 2005 Prius on the other Gen 2 Prius and it didn't experience any of these issues. So I assume this problem has to be bigger then just the antenna itself... is there anyway I can resolve these problems without having to tear up much of the car or if anything? All other things such as the cassette, CD work fine. We have a bluetooth ad FM adapter hooked up and that works fine as well. I assume this may require opening of the MFD, but was hoping of alternative ideas or solutions should be considered first.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Along with all of that antenna switching were you also changing the CABLE from antenna to radio ??

Could be a grounding problem at the radio head unit too.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What part did you swap between Priuses? If just antenna mast, then the problem could be in antenna base. How does the FM adapter hook up? Maybe it could be the problem?

If not those then it pretty much has to be a bad connection or head unit. Bad connection could be in antenna cable or grounding problem at head unit or at the antenna.

4. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, to be clear, I was swapping the atenna stick/screw thing, nothing else. I then tried a Shark Fin one as well which also didn't seem to work.

I should've been a bit more clearer, but I switched the stick with a screw (not sure what it is entirely called). I tried a Shark Fin antenna that also doesn't seem to work. As for the adapter, all it really does work exactly as an FM transmitter, you setup a station, it then allows you tp plyay media to this station via Bluetooth. Though the problem existed prior to the start of using this. If it it can be a grouunding problem, or alike, would this require the tear down of the head unit to figure out the problem I suppose?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Have you tried removing this?

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. Certainly not before you replace the cable and mounting base.

The grounding in question would be frame mounting points OR ground wires in the harness connector.

If you haven't looked at the back of the head unit yet, the antenna cable could just be loose.

7. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So it is simply an FM Transmitter with Bluetooth function ability, basically this.

The problem ha existed prior to when we started using this, but there is definitely no effect when we the device out as the static remains.

Are there instructions on how the cable and mounting base can be replaced? I am also not sure if this would be a big tear down like project. As for the grounding, I have no idea where the mounting points or where the harness connectors would be, any instructions or pointers that I can look into/

I ultimately want to leave opening up the actual head unit as a last resort as every time I have done so in the past, it easily consumes hours of my time and really am hoping something a lot faster can solve this problem...

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ahh, OK.

Have the spark plug wires ever been changed or anything else electrically related?

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How to replace a broken antenna base on a 2nd Gen Prius | PriusChat

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would never do that. Well......I would have in my younger years as an electronic technician but for most people no good can come of it.

First, you need to "find" the back of the head unit.
    Unplug and replug the antenna cable and all of the other connectors there.
    Check any mounting points for loose bolts.

Once you have the antenna cable unplugged, you can check it for continuity with a multi-meter.

11. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing on that end, literally the only thing that has been done as of recent has been an oil change in terms of maintance, but that is about it. It will eventually need new brake pades (not because of wear, but they are dusty as heck, but I doubt that'd be a problem?

Thank you for this link! I will go through this and share if it works!

I have removed the Head Unit, and I definitely can agree it is just such an annoyance... especially when you esaily spend what feels like an entire day narrowing things down. I have had to replace multiple ECU's and harnesses and its just an absolute annoyance with the Prius unfortunately.