1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio works for ~2 minutes then static, then dead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hokirob, Oct 7, 2009.

1. hokirob

hokirob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with integrated NAV & Sirius satellite radio I bought used early last year (great when gas is >$4 no doubt!)

Problem is radio works fine and is clear for 1-2 minutes while driving. Then, static begins, and then within 30 seconds, the entire audio system is dead. This is the same when doing satellite radio, AM/FM, CD, AUX, or anything (makes me think it's not an antenna issue). But all speakers give up and die -- not just one.

Any recommendation or experience with this scenario?

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

OK Basic Troubleshooting 101...
    It affects all modes AM, FM, CD etc, but it does it after an elapsed period of time. OK NOT the fuse, next common item to all souces, the contol head itself...very possible. next in line, the power amplifier, not a fuse issue here either, if it were me, I would inject a signal at the input of the power amp, you will have to get a pinout of your stereo, but there are 4 pins on the amp unit in for R+, R-, L+, L- IN. If you can get the power amp to pass tone to any of the speakers, the amp is probably GOOD! It's NOT the speakers, they all do not go bad at the same time. Back to the contol unit. I would put my money this is where your problem is. Sounds like a replacement issue.

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pat:
    I agree with your analysis, except I think it is a bad ground on the power amp. The amp is grounded to the instrument panel brace. If there was corrosion, or another reason for a high impedance ground condition to exist, then when the amp which is always powered when the car is on, would have its caps charged up. As they slowly discharge, the power rail would collapse. Kokirob: check if the time it play time is less if the volume is loud.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree with you, except there also is a power ground to the amp in the wiring harness, also for that a to stay on for minutes, that would have to be a rather large capacitor in the power supply.
    That being said, I agree, see if volume level changes "OM" time.
    And what exactly are we talking about as far as on time, is it equal to each loss of sound. Any other specifics you could add?

Vertex, something else to consider, what if the control line to the amp has a problem, or the plug is just not seated all the way into the amp and control unit. Possibly pulling the plugs and reseating them might clear this up.

5. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Reseating the connectors is always a good thing to try. The schematic shows the grounds in the wiring harness connected to J36 which is tied to the chassis. I don't see any other connections. I am sure if you or I had our hands on this car, we could easily figure it out. Don't know about Hokirob's skills. I didn't realize the FCC issuing KK prefixs on calls. Just K or W followed by A or B. I'm WB2VXW, 73.

6. hokirob

hokirob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks for the insight. I wish I was a bit more technical, but might seek out the help from a "audio/electronics" type person that has more skills. I'm afraid of the dealer for near anything after they quoted me a price of ~$700 for two HID headlights that I then bought mail-order for $90 (which included shipping).

If anyone reading this in the Northern Virginia area has the skills to do this, please post and I'll gladly get you some business for a fair job done well. Cheers! -Rob

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

KK was the ADVANCED class back in the 90's 2 X 2, if I wanted, all I need is the EXTRA witten test. I would still keep the advanced call !!

8. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They didn't do that when I got my advanced class back in the 60s.

9. hokirob

hokirob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update, the dealer has the Prius now in the shop, and for $1811 they'll replace the entire main computer consol/GPS/navigation system there with a refurbished unit. So basically I'm looking to either, a) find a cheaper part, or b) sell a kidney for cash!

thanks again everyone for the help,
    -Rob