1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain and my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Soylent, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Whenever I go to my car, and it's wet because of a rainstorm earlier in the day, I find that water drips onto my seats as soon as I open any of the 4 car doors. It seems to pour off of some water drainage at the top of the doors and directly onto my seats. And I'm not talking a little drop, I mean like a thimble-full amount of water per door. Not enough to do any water damage, but enough to annoy me because it's *every* day.

So does this happen to anyone else? It must be a design flaw, because all 4 of my doors do this.

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're not alone on this one. We had a lot of rain at the end of August and I've had the same experience. I park on the street and I even end up with dew dripping into the car.

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

No, I'd consider it user error -- for living in FLORIDA, for pete's sake!!!
    :lol:

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Sep 13 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]319060[/snapback]</div>
    Haha...like I haven't heard THAT before.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Must be just the 2006, I live in an area where we get a little rain and in the 2 1/2 years I have had my Prius I have not experienced this problem.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Sep 13 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]319068[/snapback]</div>
    It rains in Washington? Next thing you'll tell me is North Dakota gets snow and Arizona gets sun. :p

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Isn't that liquid sunshine?

My driveway slopes to the passenger side and I live in a rainforest so don't feel too bad. Also same thing happens with my Toyota Tacoma. Must be a Toyota thing.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i get that often enough too... aerodynamics i'd guess. my last car was basically a box on wheels, and the almost 90 degree angle at which the roof and the side of the car joined rarely got rainwater on my seats.

9. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I get that also. Back doors a little more than the front. I had a 2001 CRV that did the same thing. I thought it was a problem on the CRV. With the Prius I assumed it was part of the human temperature regulator.

10. Visith

Visith New Member

Mine too. Luckily it's not a lot of water.

I was a little surprised the first time I saw it. None of my previous vehicles had that problem.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get a few drops in both the Prius and the Camry.. a little annoying but not that big of an issue.

12. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006, and I got the Weathertec window vent shades for that very reason - I ordered them the morning after the first rainstorm after buying my Prius in April. I'd put up with rain dripping onto me for 8 years when I had a convertible, never having had a problem with a hard-top car for the 20 + years I owned cars before that, so I was surprised at how the accumulated rainwater came down in a sheet whenever I opened the driver's door.

13. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, that's an added benefit for vent shades that I was not aware of. I've had mine since my Prius was new, perhaps that's why I have not had the dripping problem.

14. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

If you keep it waxed, the water beads instead of sheets. Then any jostle breaks the beads loose and you get a rush of water, with no rain/drip edge to stop it. Most cars do this now, although the Prius at lease tries by adding the black stripe/indentation just above each door. It doesn't stop it very well, though. I learned to open and slam the door while still seated, breaking the worst of it loose, THEN open it again and get out.

15. kDB

kDB New Member

never had a problem with the doors, except when it snows. but the top of the hatch, every time...

16. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not nearly as bad as my 96 Audi did. The snow was even worse. If I didn't remember to completely wipe the snow off of the seam between the car and the door I'd end up with a sheet of snow falling on the seat and another falling into the door pocket and speaker in the door.

17. sonny

sonny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 13 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]319050[/snapback]</div>

Go to weathertech.com and order yourself a set of wind defleactors ($89.95) for all 4 doors. Not only will they keep the rain from dripping in, They will allow you to drive in the rain with the windows down about 3 inches. They are easy to install

18. Visith

Visith New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sonny @ Sep 14 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]319450[/snapback]</div>
    Not the same issue. The deflector would have to be mounted on the edge of the roof in order to stop the water we're talking about. When you open the door, it sucks water off the edge of the roof above the door opening and deposits it on the edge of the seat.

The deflector you're talking about, I think, is one of those things that sits around the window glass? What this thread is describing has nothing to do with the window.

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At least down in florida you don't have to worry about the snow...

My previous car had the same problem with the water, and i never really minded it (generally because it was spread out enough that you don't really feel it). Same thing here, it doesn't really bother me.

Snow, on the other hand, is a real PITA. That stuff is cold and soaks through in an instant. Thats one reason we've learned to not only brush off the windows, but the roof as well :lol:

20. smarano

smarano Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 13 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]319174[/snapback]</div>

Jeannie -

Are you talking about the WeatherTech Window Deflectors? If so, the skepticism
    expressed by Visith seems valid - namely, if the deflectors mount to the windows,
    how would they prevent rain from falling from the roof into the open car
    when the doors are opened?

Unless the deflectors mount to the channels embedded in the body of the roof....?

Stevejm