1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain drops

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Noor, Nov 23, 2016.

1. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    The joy of a black automobile!

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember i said RAW potato, definitely not fried...
    .. or baked, or even mashed!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wouldn't that just smear up the windows? Not to mention the bugs and flies it would attract. I think it would be easier for me to just quit using Rain-X. :LOL:

I have never seen so many water beads before. Must be an aerodynamics thing… The air being directed underneath the car, or around the car, or something. Very strange how that water will not blow off the car. (Just another Prius Oddity for my ever-growing list.)

Fortunately, there is no water spots left on the white paint. And any dried spots on the glass are easily wiped off.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find if I've just waxed the car, it tends to get "dirty" quicker when it rains, due to dried wax residue. Also, if it rains, and you're in a dusty environment, that's a perfect storm for spotting.

RCO likes this.
  5. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Canadian gen 4 Prii with factory installed splash guards get sill plates dirty fast the same way.
    Also I've noticed that empty space sills (ducts) resonated like drums if I drive gravel/sand/salt road regardless of splash guards.

I think if we put raw, fried or baked (or even mashed) potato inside the hollow sill it should stop resonating :);):ROFLMAO:

#25 alexgrigori, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are starting to sound like Coast Cruiser . He is always thinking of food.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry! I'm to blame for this, because I suggested using a raw potato on the windscreen to dispersed rainwater. It was regular advice many years ago for when wiper blades failed, or got stolen.
    As I recall, you had to run it over the glass and the water did not bead up. Has nobody else heard of this trick?
    (n)

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yes, I used it back in the 70s when the wipers on my old 1963 Ford Anglia 105E, kept blowing a fuse. It works just like Rain-X except it doesn't last very long, doesn't smear but washes off after about 20 minutes when applied in the rain.

RCO likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...
    Small sample size Theater presents....

I live in the Pacific Northwest, lots of rain.
    I use Rain-X, directly on my front windshield as a direct application AND as the wiper reservoir fluid of choice.
    I've never had problems with it creating rain spots.

In fact, I love what it does. Which is reduce the friction on the glass and make it clear itself mostly just using the wind created from driving. The less friction also seems IMO to make the wipers work better and be quieter.

My ONLY problem or criticism of Rain-X is especially in the Northwest or during periods of repeated rain storms, to really maintain full benefit, I would honestly say I have to apply it directly nearly weekly. This is even with using Rain-X fluid.
    If I accept less than the fullest benefit...I can go a couple of weeks. But it's not a super durable or lasting benefit IMO.
    But I find it beneficial enough...and also easy enough to use, that I do use it.

My speculation would be that IF you are getting rain spots? That isn't from the product itself. Has more to do with either the rain itself...what's in the water ending up on your windshield and/or residual minerals or contaminates already on your windshield. Because my personal experience has been long time Rain-X user and lots of rain...and I've never had rain spots,

RCO and krmcg like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anyone recall the adage to spit in your mask, then do a single rinse, when snorkeling or doing scuba? To reduce propensity to fog-up. I guess spit's a half-decent surfactant. It's actually acknowledge as one treatment by folks restoring oil paintings.

RCO likes this.
  11. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This morning my windows were totally dry and spot free. (And it just rained yesterday.) The Rain-X works well in that regard.

It's just during periods of rain when you're driving, that all the water beads stay on the windows for some weird reason. They don't blow off. Different aerodynamics I guess on the Prius.

No spotting whatsoever on my white paint. Dried spot free. The turtle wax Ice, and the Maguires ultimate wax are very good.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I refuse to spend my mornings spitting on my own windshield.
    My neighbors already think I'm a little kooky, just cleaning and applying Rain-X weekly....sometimes WHILE it's raining....

If I started spitting on my windshield...I'd end up part of a viral video on youtube.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yuk :sick:
    Ok, so we agree that Rain-X is king at preventing the raindrop stains, but how do I get the well established stains that are on my windscreen now off ?

14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two suggestions (both on youtube) (1) Use 0000 steel-wool (dry) then Rain-X, or (2) Use you favourite glass-cleaner, then Clay-Bar, then regular wax (same as you might use on the paint) - Good Luck! - hope this helps - Wil

kithmo likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hah, knew that was a red flag to a bull.
    I'd be very reluctant to use an abrasive on glass. Or a wax, though at least that's benign. Never had issues using just an automotive glass cleaner perdiodically: no build-up, no wiper problems.

16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, most scuba divers do this. Not just because of it's cost effectiveness, but it certainly works to prevent condensation build-up. Not so sure it would dispersed rainwater as effectively.

Fwiw, glass is harder than steel, so steel wool could be used. On the other hand, I have always found that polish on the windscreen causes smearing when the wipers are working in rain.

#36 RCO, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    kithmo likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah glass is harder than steel, but I'm not sure going at the windshield with steel wool (and/or clay bar) will be like a footy match that ends 10 nil in favour of the windshield. I don't think either will come out unscathed.

My glass cleaner, very effective, is an olio of various ingredients. Just reading:

Professional strength cuts through body shop dust, smoker's film, grease and industrial dirt and grime. Streak-proof ammoniated. Use for cleaning car, home and industrial windows, chrome, stainless steel, tile, baked enamel objects. Will not "spot" dashboard.

Contains: isobutane, isopropanol, and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether.

I'm sure this lots of similar products, more readily available around the world, this is just what I'm using:

Kleen-Flo | Products - Glass Kleen

upload_2016-11-29_9-40-21.png

18. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …and for the doubting-Thomases amongst you!

…and by the way, look up Mohs Scale (as in hardness) check the values of mild steel (steel wool) and glass! I've used 0000 steel-wool then Rain-X for the past 15 years, and have recently started using Clay-Bar followed by car-wax (even better than Rain-X (longer lasting!))

kithmo and RCO like this.
  19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Thanks Will, I forgot about clay bars, I've got some somewhere that I used on the paintwork of my old Gen 3