1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain on Back Window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djinabox, Jan 24, 2009.

1. djinabox

djinabox New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello all,

I am very excited at the prospect of purchasing my own Prius very shortly. I did have one usability question as I live in South Florida and heavy rains are unavoidable. Namely, when it rains does the back window become very difficult to see through? I know that the back window has a wiper which helps to alleviate some of the issue, but I would think that the angle of the main rear window (which is almost parallel with the sky) can become quite problematic in an afternoon thunderstorm.

I look forward to your replies.

Jesse

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you're moving, there is very little rain that stays on the rear window. I have never used the rear wiper continuously. The intermittent setting usually takes care of any problem.

3. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Jesse:
    I live in Naples and have never noticed that problem.
    Regards

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It also helps to coat the widow, in fact all of them with a good coat of Rain X. The water just rolls of the window. You hardly need the wipers it works so well!!

Enjoy de Pat KK6PD

5. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    +1 for Rain-X. Never leave home without it!

6. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No problem with heavy rain so long as you use the Rainx - I only do the windshield and large back window with it.

The only tip I have about driving in lots of heavy rain is wipe the back up camera with your finger or a cloth at each stop you make to keep the viewing better for when you back up at the next stop.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Another positive for Rain X... I've been using it for 14+ years now and always put it on every vehicle I purchase. I do all the windows, including sunroofs if the vehicle is equipped. I also do the side view mirrors as well. From my experience, I only have to the front window every 4-6 months and the rear I do once a year, the others with no wipers I only do once when I first purchase the vehicle.

With it the water beads up in small beads and just blows/rolls off. Really makes a huge difference.

Oh, and there are other companys making similar products, but trut me from experience, keep with the original... Nothing compares. They even make a glass cleaner now that applies the rain x as you clean your windows and that works well too.

8. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I've been driving nothing but hatchbacks like the Prius for 21 years now (2004 Prius, 1991 Plymouth Laser, 1987 Porsche 944S) and have NEVER had a problem seeing out the back window. And I never use Rain-x either. Don't worry about rain on your hatch window. Its a non-issue in these cars.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem at all. The only time I've used the continuous mode for the rear wiper was in a really heavy heavy downpour and I had to do 30mph instead.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It rains like hell in Dallas sometimes. No problems.

11. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How do you know how it rains there? ;) :D