1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain-X based product questions

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Deleted member 111882, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How is Aquapel? I've heard of it before, but I have been using Rain-X for decades. Would like to find something that lasts longer.

As far as sensors, my 2014 Prius, 2015 Rav4 and 2016 Ram are all Rain-Xd, and I have no issues with any sensors. But among them I only have automatic lights/high-beams, daylight sensors, rain-sensing wipers, etc, no driving sensors like DRCC, so I don't have any experience with those sensor types.

2. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it is referring to factory installed water repellent coating on the front side windows, and what to avoid that would affect that coating. As to why they would only coat those windows, probably because those are critical for visibility for driving, not only to see to the side but also to be able to see the side mirrors. Meanwhile the passenger windows and rear window, although important, are not as critical as the front side windows. And of course the windshield already has wipers. Presumably there is added cost to have the windows coated thus they only coat the two most critical windows.

Another question is how long does the factory coating last, if it can be damaged not only by abrasive cleaners but also regular dirt and dust, then I would guess that even if properly cared for the coating it would last only a few years at the most.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would make sense. But I havn't seen this as an option to be added, so I assume all PRIME models have this feature. Have anyone reported on comparison on water repelling on front and rear side windows?

OK, I found this thread by searching. Water-Repellent Glass Explained | PriusChat

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've never used Rain-X so can't compare them. I was amazed at how it worked in the first rain we went through. It got a tad streaky in one spot, but think that was my fault on how I wiped it after applying it.

The application is easy - comes in self-dispensing little sponge thingies.

5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I haven't found any aftermarket brand of wiper blades with a connector to fit our wiper arms. If anyone knows...for sure...let us all know. My Mazda uses the same connector, and I've been looking and testing and going away disappointed.

I will never use Rain-X brand glass water repellent on a windshield. If the windshield is at just the wrong angle the Rain-X coating glares with on-coming headlights. It is relatively short-lived on glass. I've used Rain-X brand washer fluid on occasion. Good, but nothing special.

I use Aquapel on all windows. It is a different type of glass water repellent that lasts longer and doesn't give me the glare. No problem over the section with the sensors. Water is blown off the rear window as soon as the car gets a bit of speed up, and snow wipes off more easily. Good prices can be found from sellers on eBay.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had new AM windshield wipers from my previous Gen 3 Prius which used regular hook type connectors. They were the right size, but I could not connect on Primes wiper arms, so I ended ordering new genuine Toyota wipers and wiper blade rubbers for spare. Turned out they were not that expensive for contour type wipers.

WINDSHIELD WIPER. For Toyota Prius Prime Four | Toyota

Prodigyplace likes this.