1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rainbow Prius Hybrid Powered by Lithium!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jacktheripper, Dec 24, 2019.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting post. If the 12v power is turned off to the car and then restored, the HV Battery "blocks" resistance readings default to 19mohms. That's for 2 modules. (It doesn't take long for the true value to be displayed). So if you have an app that is showing a 'per module' value, perhaps they are taking the car information and dividing it by two.

I don't recall ever seeing techstream displaying less than 19mohm per block for an OEM battery. If not an OEM battery, then I could see the IR calculation resulting in a lower value being displayed.

mjoo likes this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    nice home made rig, it which bms did you go with the set up?

3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually a battery block = 2 OEM NiMH blades or 1 Jack's Lithium module

Thanks, I don't have much experience with the Dr Prius app.

moto g power ?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The app uses the values reported by the ECU without calibration. It is poorly made in that regard as even the internal Toyota systems compensate for the differing offsets in their internal calculations. Showing these "raw" values can give people heart attacks!

What you're seeing is the difference in the copper wiring harness. The Prius does NOT use kelvin sensing at the terminal to measure the low ohms. So you are mostly measuring the wiring harness, and then a small offset for the battery. Same with the NiMH chemistry.

mjoo and Grit like this.
  5. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    dang.. good eyes!
    Dr. Prius App updates IR every couple of minutes, 19 mOhms is the default value right after a 12v battery reset.
    The latest prototype should be around 10 mOhms and production version 'should' be even lower. (improved soldering and material use)

lower IR means better efficiency, less heat and of course better regenerative braking, however I don't think it will stop the car quicker:)

PriusPilotSurfer and mjoo like this.
  6. jacktheripper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Battery short circuit test with hydraulic press and 8mm copper plate to ensure lowest resistance possible.
    warning: thumbnail click bait !!

7. jacktheripper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    @2k1Toaster, that's why Prius is affordable :)

8. PriusPilotSurfer

PriusPilotSurfer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is great to know @jacktheripper ! Looking forward to more details and getting one of these replacements for my Prius! Your information, and knowledge is appreciated! The battery test videos are informational and are very helpful! Keep up the great work and progress with your company!

jacktheripper and Max Taiwan like this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    nssdiver and jacktheripper like this.
  10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maarten28 likes this.
  11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your car is in great shape. Redline should pay you for advertising the greatness of their products. (I think you were the one using Redline no? Sorry if I'm confused I was working with the good folks at Foxwell in China and in my eagerness was staying up into the wee hours of the night).

Let's be frank, his car "hardly got 39 MPG now gets 57". I pulled out my calculator and 57 ÷ 39 = 1.46153846. Let's take your current MPG and 63 * 1.46153846 = 92.0769231 MPG. I guesstimate that's what your new MPG would be if you switch...

moto g(7) power ?

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As mentioned in the above article by the "expert" Peter Neilson, who once again brings into question his expertise....

The 400 available amp output compared to the 100 amp output means you get 4x the available power from the lithium version.

Can anyone prove to me the NIMH pack is limited to 100 amps and show me where and how this lithium pack (or any battery pack) will ever put out 400 amps under any possible Prius driving condition.. More BS. Just regurgitated BS. I posted screenshots on this site showing a peak of around 157 amps during acceleration and 120(?) something during hard regen with an NiMH battery. Surely someone can post a screenshot of an acceleration and regen peak current reading with the lithium battery .....

I have no problem with people advertising products, but I have a huge problem with lies designed to make one product look bad and another look better.

And this:

I will tell you that because of lithium technology, you need to be extra careful. The greater energy density is a little scarier to work with.

really?.......

mjoo, jzchen and Grit like this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    redline doesn’t pay me so it goes on my resume as “volunteer work” :LOL:

jzchen likes this.
  14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Negative, my yields would be similar or slightly better like .5 mpg increase going from the original nimh to lifepo4. I’m fully sold about lifepo4 batteries, built my own pack with an active cell balancer & bms in tandem and understand the 1C pulls and blah blah. There’s a lot of things that’s not explained or disclosed behind this conversion though.

#374 Grit, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You probably understand a lot more in depth about the issues than me.

I put in a 12 V LiFePO4. I wish I could have bought one for my wife's Panamera when it's huge H8 died, but so much more costly than an AGM from Walmart I didn't. One thing alone they are amazingly light. That alone might net you what, the 0.5 MPG?...

Difference between that 12 V and this lithium is that I know mine has a BMS that cuts off above a certain V or below a certain V. I guess that it is inside each individual pack for this one...

I did watch the video of Jack driving around the block several times in pure EV mode on a Gen 2. That was quite impressive...

moto g(7) power ?

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I can understand your concerns as stated. No it's not good in any circumstance to put down another product in favor of one's own.

I did not read the article as "putting down NiMH" unless I missed it? Praising a Lithium battery is not quite the same as saying "forget NiMH it is bad". That would be obvious...

I do not think he's telling a lie about his MPG going up. Do you? (Well that's just my belief)....

moto g(7) power ?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, there is one of these inside the NiMH battery's service plug:

[​IMG]

Your 120 or 157 amps didn't blow it immediately, as the specs on similar PEC fuses show they're not super fast to blow. At 110% of rating (say 140 amps here), it could take anywhere from four hours to forever, and at 200% (250 amps) anywhere from 5 seconds to more than a minute and a half. (Note those specs are for a slightly different PEC fuse line; this seems to be an older one no longer in their online catalog.)

That does suggest a legitimate question about what sort of fuse is in the lithium retrofit pack. If it has a larger current rating than the one originally supplied in the car, what analysis of the rest of the car's electrical system showed that to be ok?

strawbrad likes this.
  18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From pictures of the packaging looks like you reuse that part? (Shrugs)...

moto g(7) power ?

19. jacktheripper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    ok guys... not much time to read through everything but to clarify:
    The Lithium is spec at peak 260 Amp, we short-circuit tested it at 400+Amp, however the real number is limited by whatever number your car can pull, make sense? got it?

Also comparing your MPG with his/her MPG is just stupid, haven't ya heard of YMMV?

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wonderful, now we're stupid...