1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Raise Tire Pressures, save ANWR

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by GreenMachine, Nov 26, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As mpg conscious Prius drivers have found, raising tire pressure can increase the mpg 2-3 mpg.

Now, if every car in US raised its tire pressures by about 5 lbs, the savings in gas could be about 2-3 mpg per vehicle.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, increasing the fuel efficiency of our vehicles by just 3 miles per gallon would save more than 1 million barrels of oil per day, more than
    the most optimistic projections for peak production from the Arctic Refuge. Energy
    experts agree that the best way to solve our energy problems is to use existing technology
    to make our cars and trucks more efficient and to invest in renewable energy.

Now if we could just get everyone to understand and do this perhaps it might tip the balance in the fight to open ANWR to oil production.

Ahhh, i Know im just dreaming............

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I think like you do. I like a scenario even less likely to happen than yours: revisiting lower speed limits. But this time I'd make it 60 MPH east of the Mississippi and in half of CA, 65 in the "wider open spaces", rather than 55.

This is one area where Presidential leadership can play a part. I can actually picture Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton on TV, explaining how it will help the country if we blow up our tires and slow down a little. (Chuckle: can you see ol' Ross Perot doing it with his charts and pointer?)

But can you imagine GWB doing it?

3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The speed limit idea is a good one as far as I am concerned. I remember driving from Texas to Boston back then at 55 mpg in a VW Beetle. It is surprising how far you can go in a day at 55 if you stay out on the road all day. My only program is that a storm was tracking the same route. I would get in front of it by the end of a day, and it would get back in front of me overnight. Three days of that and I was ready to go a bit faster to outrun it totally.

The answer to your GWB question. No I can't. :angry: