1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Raleigh NC best U.S. city for jobs

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070216/us_nm/life_work_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Raleigh, North Carolina, topped the list of the best U.S. cities for getting a job, according to an annual survey released on Friday by Forbes.com.

Among U.S. states, Florida is home to the most cities among the top 25 best spots for job opportunities, with Jacksonville at No. 3 and Orlando at No. 4 as well as Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach, Forbes said.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Raleigh, part of the so-called "research triangle" with Durham and Chapel Hill where several major universities are located, has low unemployment, strong income and job growth, high incomes and a relatively low cost of living, Forbes said."

funny the huge difference between those three cities... considering we're all in the triangle and each city has one of the major universities mentioned.

we were looking to move closer to raleigh for cheaper housing. rental housing here is ridiculous.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This make me laugh:

""It has a lot of the amenities of Florida, except not the hurricanes," Cochrane said in a Forbes.com article accompanying the survey."

[​IMG]

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 20 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]393285[/snapback]</div>
    Cheap housing in Raleigh? It seems like every square foot of Wake County is now developed. I'd think there'd be cheap housing in Durham. Chapel Hill, forget about it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Feb 20 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]393306[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously the author of that article didn't talk to me, I would have happily explained about Fran and Floyd.

5. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 20 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]393279[/snapback]</div>
    I live in West Palm Beach. I'd like to find the so called high paying jobs that the article is referencing. Most of the jobs here are in service, retail, sales, and medical. I have no medical background and sales is slave driven.

Retail and service pay s**t wages. The average wage in WPB is about $10.00/hr. and the taxes, insurance, cost of housing or rent are astronomical. I see no reason to move here unless you DO NOT have to work. This place is vastly overrated. FL is also an "At Will" state which means an employer can get rid of you for NO reason at all.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the article failed to mention the number one reason people are moving to North Carolina.

. . .

[​IMG]

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 20 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]393312[/snapback]</div>
    we found that 2 br apartments in durham and 2 br houses in raleigh cost about the same... we just didn't wanna spend the difference in gas money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Feb 20 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]393341[/snapback]</div>
    after taxes i bring home $8.75/hour, and that's if i have a lazy week and only work 40 hours. if i work 50, it's down to $7. and i have even worked 80 hour weeks for $4.38/hour.

you'd think someone with genuine talent in the skilled trade sector would do better, but i'm afraid not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 20 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]393344[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:
    you mean my little dancing test tube? yes, that is quite the attraction ;)

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 20 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]393389[/snapback]</div>
    What is it you do that only nets $8.75/hr.? Why does your pay go down the more hours you work?

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no matter how many hours i work, i get the same paycheck at the end of the month. so hourly, the more i work the less i make per hour. i'm a grad student working exclusively on my thesis, which basically makes me nothing more than a grossly underpaid biomedical researcher.

10. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 20 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]393475[/snapback]</div>

Same here, except replace "biomedical" with "microbial"; it is shameful how little grad students get paid for how much we contribute and for how hard we work. They pay me for "20" hours a week, though I have to work 40-50 most weeks; all the while my advisor, aka "boss", gets paid at least 5 times what I get paid (and she gets paid less than she would working for a for-profit company). They justify the low pay with the fact that they also pay my tuition, however, when I take thesis credits (which are the majority of credits needed), the university, college, and department don't have any costs due to me 'taking' thesis credits. Its a load of crap. Most all major advances in research have been made possible due to the underpaid, under appreciated, Ramen noodle fed grad student. I wouldn't even be here if I didn't want that PhD!

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Feb 20 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]393488[/snapback]</div>
    ahhh, someone else in this category :D

they do pay my fees here, i pay tax on that too... but i get some of that back with the lifetime learning credit. we don't have thesis credits, but there are "continuation fees" for those of us not taking classes anymore.

i just find it amusing that raleigh hits the top of the list and their next door neighbors are so vastly different despite extremely similar circumstances. it's the two state-run uni's vs the private one... prices near the private uni are jacked up, and prices in the scenic, touristy town are jacked up.

maybe i should have gone to state (located in raleigh) instead :lol: