1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran out of Gas - am I OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lhoward, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    In fact, if the car was left running for the better part of the week - and assuming the computer hasn't been reset - shouldn't the average consumption read something ridiculously high?

Another thought - have you checked to make sure you don't have a leak from your gas tank? Unlikely, but easily verified by checking if you have a pool under your car in the morning. :mellow:

I also agree that it would be a good idea to take the car to the Toyota dealer, explained what happened, and have them run a diagnostic on the battery to make sure it wasn't damaged in the process. Try to get the valet to pay for the service (I assume the dealer would charge for this) and definitely make them pay to replace anything necessary. If they refuse, seek the help of the local "consumer-help" TV station for some publicity, they like that... :)

Kevin

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    average consumption should be zero- zero miles driven. anything over zero is obviously nonexistent, but the car reports it as zero. but if the 12v battery died all the stuff on the MFD would be reset.

gas tank leak is unlikely- unless it's a severed fuel line. the tank is not only a metal tank but a resin bladder.

all the dealer will do is ask if it runs okay. people run out of gas all the time. the car has an ASTRONOMICAL "idiot factor" built in. however, there is a small, no matter how small, risk of the HV battery draining too low. if that happened, the car would not start at all. that would be the damage indicator.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    True, but I got a recommendation before selecting the dealer I go to, and at least a Prius dealer should know how to drive a Prius. It's either this, or change my own oil, and I ain't about to do that. :)

4. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

To prove that these places dont know how to handle the cars....

Everytime i took the car to an oil change they give me the car back with batteries at the red zone....

do not know what they do there but i have a feeling they don't shut the car ... which is scary considering they drain the oil....